Messages in this topic - RSS

Home ? Importing Assets ? Sketchup models - anybody having success with them

the topic is closed
18/08/2011 14:00:55

toonaramaMuvizu mogulExperimental user
toonarama
Hello there

I have tried to load a number of SKP files using the ASE exporter and am finding it's a bit of a hit and miss (usually miss) affair.

Quite often an error message displays stating it is either too large or "outside the World"

When I do import I often find bits have gone missing en route.

I know that GJim has mentioned that many of the models in the 3DW are not properly structured and this will cause problems.

So...

a) is anybody managing to load models with a reasonable success rate
b) if so do you have any tips!

Thanks

Toonarama
18/08/2011 15:22:34

Quoling
Quoling
I have imported quite a lot from sketchup and it takes a lot of trial and error - try to make sure your models are not too complex and if possible split it up into parts.

Jim did a great tutorial series - part one of which is at

http://www.muvizu.com/Video/12611/Importing-from-Sketchup-Part-1

I imported a complete Queen "stage" from sketchup using Jim's methods..so I know it works

http://www.muvizu.com/Set/15091/Queen-Magic-Stage-1986
18/08/2011 17:03:23

ziggy72Muvizu mogulExperimental user
ziggy72
I too have been known to use the odd sketchup model and have developed a kind of procedure for it, to help with the success rate and get the models in at an appropriate scale.

First thing I do is take a look at the 3D View on the Google 3D Warehouse preview/download page for the model. If it's shape is defined or created by textures, forget it, move on. If it's shape is all defined by 3D shapes, it's worth investigating.

Once you've got the model in Sketchup, use the tape measure to find out it's longest side - if it's more than 30 metres (3000 cm, 1180 inches, or 98 feet) then Scale it down to less that 30 metres or it's very very hard to get Muvizu to import it.

Get the model as centred as you can, and export it. If Sketchup's little end report says there's more that 65000 faces, Muvizu will get a bit uppity - still works sometimes though. If it's less all's good.

In Muvizu, I created a Test Model set just to import Sketchup models (they can crash Muvizu, so I don't trust importing them untested into my working sets). I put my starting position about halfway up inside the skydome, and 2/3 of the way back from the centre to the outer edge. This takes a little trial and error to find the sweet spot to allow for the biggest useable volume, but once you've found it just remember to save the set (and then always use it to test your bigger models).

I also find it helpful to immediately drop the model once it's imported - by drop I mean just move it a little to let gravity take it's course and see if it goes through the floor, or starts jiggling all over the place, or (hopefully) just bounces down to a nice stable state.

Hope that helps, Toon.
18/08/2011 17:18:26

ukBertyMuvizu mogulExperimental user
ukBerty
Toonarama - Just looked in my ASE folder and have 198 models I have used so far - most of which have worked, but not all look good.

I don't really know what I'm doing so just followed the tutorials and now have a pretty good success rate, possibly because I use this technique :-

• When you import the model you can usually see how complex it is and you learn not to be too ambitious. I've loaded planes but entire buildings are going to fail.
  • Scale it down to a reasonable size - you can always scale it back up when in Muvizu. I keep the woman hanging around so I can judge the size, then delete her before exporting.
  • Get it on the axis correctly. If you don't it'll be murder (if it imports).
  • When you export I watch how many faces it does. If it takes too long and has too many faces then you're in for trouble.
  • Don't bother with anything with a texture - I just can't get the textures to transfer over.
  • It seems that some people know what they are going in sketchup and some don't (that's me) so not all models are created equally. When you find a good model look at that users collection to see if there's anything else you need as they'll also probably be made well.

As I say I'm no expert, but I used to have no end of problems when first importing, but now it's pretty reliable. I've even started to alter the models in Sketchup a bit to get what I need.

My next task is to get my head around the collisions so I can reduce it down as much as possible.

Hope this helps.
18/08/2011 17:58:48

toonarama
All
Thank you very much for your replies; there's some great advice in there and you given me the motivation to persist.

Textures is one of the few things I have managed to export successfully doing it this way:

In SUP
1. Opened the materials window
2. Select tab and pick "In Model" materials from drop down list
3. For each material in the model RC and Export Texture image to wherever you want to keep them
In Mzu
4. import set USE ID TEXTURES to NO
5. RC on object and amend the textures to the ones previously saved.
6. Sometimes the image is not the correct size. To fix this go back into S UP Materials window and select the material you want to change and select EDIT tab and then adjust the tiling size numbers at the bottom. Trial and error to get to the size you require. Then you will need to re-export.
18/08/2011 21:37:07

toonarama
ziggy72 wrote:
I put my starting position about halfway up inside the skydome, and 2/3 of the way back from the centre to the outer edge. This takes a little trial and error to find the sweet spot to allow for the biggest useable volume, but once you've found it just remember to save the set (and then always use it to test your bigger models).

Did this and viola I imported my bungalow that I needed - thank you!
18/08/2011 22:04:59

Quoling
Quoling
ziggy72 wrote:
I put my starting position about halfway up inside the skydome, and 2/3 of the way back from the centre to the outer edge. .

Can you expand on that? - I understand the halfway up - and even the 2/3 way back (I think) but what do you mean by "from the centre to the outer edge" - do you mean go left? - any chance of a quick video showing this? Confused
18/08/2011 22:12:26

toonarama
Quoling

All I did was to zoom way back and up into the sky !
18/08/2011 22:14:29

Quoling
Quoling
toonarama wrote:
Quoling

All I did was to zoom way back and up into the sky !

Zoom with what? - sorry to be dim but ever since I upgraded to the latest version none of my models will import...they all worked before Confused
18/08/2011 22:35:59

toonarama
Sorry I meant using the mouse to change the view
scrollback using scroll wheel (or arrows or S key) and then up into the air using both mouse buttons held down
18/08/2011 22:37:43

Quoling
Quoling
toonarama wrote:
Sorry I meant using the mouse to change the view
scrollback using scroll wheel (or arrows or S key) and then up into the air using both mouse buttons held down

Yeah sussed that afterwards - still cannot import the models - when I click on Ok - nothing happens - no error, nothing it just freezes for 10+ mins and I have to abort via task manager - but it's late now so will try again over the weekend...
19/08/2011 02:46:27

RightURKen
RightURKen
ukBerty wrote:
.... I've loaded planes but entire buildings are going to fail..

This Has become a major problem for me. I need houses and city buildings. The building blocks in Muvizu are no good for me. I've tried several times but not luck with the buildings I need. If anyone has some that could be added to the 3d assets page it would be greatly appreciated.
19/08/2011 08:43:31

toonarama
RightURKen

I've uploaded my bungalow file (awaiting moderation) which I created successfully last night but a couple of things to bear in mind

I ran out of space in the ASE file for all the textures (not sure if you can amend file to add more than 14?) so if you want to try loading it you will need to

a) add texture 15 when you load it up (bricks for the chimney).

b) this still leaves a couple of bits showing the default texture so I created an all white "C:/UT3/toto2.bmp" file (by copying the toto.bmp file and using Paint) and the ASE file references this (rather than the default toto.bmp) so you would need to do the same thing

I am sure the ASE file couuld be amended to sort out these 2 issues but that is all I had time for.

Oh and make sure you get up into the sky and stand well back to leave plenty of room!
edited by toonarama on 19/08/2011
19/08/2011 09:15:32

ukBertyMuvizu mogulExperimental user
ukBerty
toonarama wrote:
Textures is one of the few things I have managed to export successfully doing it this way:

Bingo !

I've been wanting to do this for ages but never could get my head round the instructions, but now I have successfully imported my first textured object.

The Sky's the limit now (you cannot leave the sky dome)

Cheers....

Berty
19/08/2011 09:34:26

toonarama
Good to hear ukberty.

By the way; when I exported the Bungalow model it automatically exported all the relevant textures for me and i just had to change the ASE file to change all the references to the toto.bmp to the appriopriate files.

I think the difference might be that all the textures for the bungalow were pictures supplied by the modeller rather than textures from within the SuP software - seems logical?
19/08/2011 15:50:38

hexslayer
hexslayer
Managed this today while uploading the first part of my star wars movie ,actually looks really good,did have to retexture most of it myself tho
the topic is closed

Home ? Importing Assets ? Sketchup models - anybody having success with them