Messages in this topic - RSS

Home ? Feedback ? Undo last recording button

the topic is closed
02/11/2011 20:48:32

ukBertyMuvizu mogulExperimental user
ukBerty
Can I make a suggestion for a button which undoes the last recording session.

When you are directing movement, be it cameras, characters or objects it's all a bit hit and miss. You get used to this and it's fine, but what would be really handy is to be able to do take after take, overwriting the previous one.

But you can already do that I hear you shout.

Well yes and no. If I'm trying to do a camera track of a character and on take 1 I start too soon then when I do take 2 the camera is already moving before I start pressing any buttons. I have to switch into timeline, delete the camera movement and go back to direct. All this takes time.

A "multiple takes" mode which wiped what was in the timeline before, or a simple "delete last take" button on the direct timeline would be a great time saver.

Berty
02/11/2011 21:03:15

NeilExperimental userMuvizu staff
Neil
ukBerty wrote:
Can I make a suggestion for a button which undoes the last recording session.

Sorry if I'm missing something, but doesn't the undo button already do this?
02/11/2011 21:17:13

ukBerty
Er , I guess it might (thinking about it). Does it undo multiple moves if they occur in the same take ?
02/11/2011 21:26:42

Neil
ukBerty wrote:
Er , I guess it might (thinking about it). Does it undo multiple moves if they occur in the same take ?

Ummmm... I think so. There's an easy way to find out.
02/11/2011 22:38:54

DreekoMuvizu mogulExperimental user
Dreeko
The answer is yes to all
03/11/2011 06:59:51

ukBerty
I've now had a chance to test and the undo button does indeed undo the last recording session, but not really in a way I can practically use.

If you record something - say some dialogue - and you make a hash of it then pressing the undo will flip you to timeline mode and roll back to where you started recording from, deleting the changes you made.

Sounds great - but it's effectively what I do manually and it all takes time and leaves me in timeline rather than record mode. I am working on some quite complex sets at the moment and clicking undo can take you around 15 secs to get back to start recording again. It's quicker to just keep doing takes in record mode until you go too early and have to start manually deleting things.

I guess the reason I had not even tried it before is that I can't see what it's doing as in record mode there are no indications as to what you have recorded. So here's my latest suggestion.......

When you are in the timeline recorder it should show you the timeline for the specific track you are recording. So if you're doing character actions you would see the actions for just that character. As you record they would pop up on the line (or if that's not possible appear when you press stop). You could then adjust the timing of these in timeline recorder mode, deleting or recording more as you require. This would speed up my animating anyway.

Anyway - back to the grind... deadlines looming.....
03/11/2011 15:45:22

Neil
ukBerty wrote:
When you are in the timeline recorder it should show you the timeline for the specific track you are recording. So if you're doing character actions you would see the actions for just that character. As you record they would pop up on the line (or if that's not possible appear when you press stop). You could then adjust the timing of these in timeline recorder mode, deleting or recording more as you require. This would speed up my animating anyway.

This is something we've been wanting to do for quite a while but for boring technical reasons, we can't right now.

We currently force you out of the current direct mode and bring up the timeline to try and illustrate what change the undo operation has just performed. Once we're able to display event blocks on the recorder tracks, we'll let the undo operation keep you in direct mode. Watch this space*.

* - But not too intently, it's probably at least couple of releases away.
25/11/2011 13:27:07

jonbezMuvizu mogulExperimental user
jonbez
I would find that very useful. It is abit of a time kill ATM.
the topic is closed

Home ? Feedback ? Undo last recording button