Messages in this topic - RSS

Home ? Importing Assets ? Too small/ problem with collision mesh

the topic is closed
21/07/2013 12:29:51

MrDrWho13Muvizu mogulExperimental user
MrDrWho13
I've tried getting a model from the 3D warehouse, and with a link from another thread and the first tutorial, I exported it as an .ase. In sketchup, it said something about having too many faces, but I ignored that. However, in Muvizu I'm getting this error message:

Can anyone help?

Thanks,
MDW13
21/07/2013 12:39:03

ziggy72Muvizu mogulExperimental user
ziggy72
Ah yes, the old 'Muvizu don't like object, Muvizu cry' message. Having imported hundreds of objects, I can say, hand on heart, that I have absolutely no fecking idea why Muvizu likes some objects and not others. Getting the 'too many faces for collision' message usually means 'give up on this one now and get something less complicated'. Sometimes, if I really need the model, I'll break it down into smaller chunks and import it that way (but of course you then can't animate groups - arrg!!!)

In summary - dunno
21/07/2013 12:43:22

MrDrWho13
Thanks anyway, Ziggy!
21/07/2013 18:10:09

urbanlamb
urbanlamb
(Account inactive)
it wont import an object with more then 65,000 .. and a bit more thousand faces to the engine in fact has a limit on the amount of faces per object.. and to be honest you dont want to import it if its that large especially if its a doorknob with 65k+++ faces

sorry i didnt read this completely and was responding to the title. The most likely reason its refusing to import is simply due to the sheer size of the object in faces. You will blow up your graphics card if your not careful

(okay maybe not literally blow it up.. but your card tries to render all those faces and it will complain loudly)

or ..
it might have to do with the way collision was done and not size. If the collision mesh is malformed it wont import but I dont know how people fix that in sketchup I know i just delete it and do it again as sometimes I mess up when adding collision and accidently overlap things a bit in my effort to not leave any holes the character can fall through

but its likely the facecount
edited by urbanlamb on 21/07/2013
21/07/2013 18:41:52

MrDrWho13
urbanlamb wrote:

it might have to do with the way collision was done and not size. If the collision mesh is malformed it wont import but I dont know how people fix that in sketchup I know i just delete it and do it again as sometimes I mess up when adding collision and accidently overlap things a bit in my effort to not leave any holes the character can fall through

I haven't bothered with making a collision map because that would make it more complicated. (Also my code look a lot different to the one in the tutorial)
The message at the start said more than 500 faces.
In all, my plug-in and a few other things look different to the tutorials (probably because they're out of date now).
21/07/2013 19:08:48

urbanlamb
urbanlamb
(Account inactive)
MrDrWho13 wrote:
urbanlamb wrote:

I haven't bothered with making a collision map because that would make it more complicated. (Also my code look a lot different to the one in the tutorial)
The message at the start said more than 500 faces.
In all, my plug-in and a few other things look different to the tutorials (probably because they're out of date now).

collision meshes are different then regular mesh so your saying it said the collision mesh was too large? 65k is model faces. Anyhow it tried to make a collision mesh it seems and screwed up In any event assuming the regular model is below 65k faces it sounds like you would need to delete the old collision mesh and make a new one as that is the problem in this case.

*tries to get you to start using blender*

in blender it would be an easy fix

*runs*
edited by urbanlamb on 21/07/2013
21/07/2013 19:30:53

MrDrWho13
urbanlamb wrote:
*tries to get you to start using blender*

in blender it would be an easy fix

*runs*

Lol, maybe I'll be converted to an Urbanlamb Blenderer!
21/07/2013 19:35:04

MrDrWho13
If anyone else is able to convert models with ease, this is the model I would like to get into Muvizu.
http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/details?mid=ac6545a412d9905281996ad45eccc629&prevstart=0
21/07/2013 20:07:14

urbanlamb
urbanlamb
(Account inactive)
MrDrWho13 wrote:
If anyone else is able to convert models with ease, this is the model I would like to get into Muvizu.
http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/details?mid=ac6545a412d9905281996ad45eccc629&prevstart=0

I gave up on converting sketchup files because well to be honest they suck ^^ for that model it is probably just faster to make a new one from scratch in the time you would take to figure how to import it you probably could learn to use sketchup well enough to make your own. Its just a bunch of straight lines with some textures slapped on not a lot of complicated bits there.
21/07/2013 21:26:24

ukBertyMuvizu mogulExperimental user
ukBerty
MrDrWho,

I can get this to import OK ( I haven't sorted out all the colours, but it's in Muvizu).

All I did was run CleanUp on it - http://sketchucation.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=22920 and then export with the ZiggyMesh exporter - This is the one called "HardPCM's Exporter for Muvizu" within tools. If you don't have this I can post this somewhere again.

Let me know how you get on.

Berty
21/07/2013 21:47:53

MrDrWho13
ukBerty wrote:
MrDrWho,

I can get this to import OK ( I haven't sorted out all the colours, but it's in Muvizu).

All I did was run CleanUp on it - http://sketchucation.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=22920 and then export with the ZiggyMesh exporter - This is the one called "HardPCM's Exporter for Muvizu" within tools. If you don't have this I can post this somewhere again.

Let me know how you get on.

Berty

Cool, thanks, I'll download that!
23/07/2013 10:40:57

MrDrWho13
With help from Fazz, I managed to get the model to work:
the topic is closed

Home ? Importing Assets ? Too small/ problem with collision mesh