Messages in this topic - RSS

Home ? Tech Help ? Muvizu main screen area continuously spinning.

pages: 1 2 | the topic is closed
15/12/2013 16:14:13

Smartypants
Smartypants
Hello,

I am using the latest English version of Muvizu for my Windows 7/Sp1 64 bit system.

For some weird reason, when I start the program, the inside of the main screen starts "spinning" horizontally. I noticed that I am basically unable to control it with my mouse. This has *never* happened before. I am however, able to go the menu and perform all other menu type functions normally.

I also have a Logitech 3D pro USB joystick, which is *also* able to interact somehow with Muvizu, even though I have always just used the mouse without incident. Nothing in my hardware/software configuration has been changed by me.

When I disconnect the Joystick, all is well. I used the Windows 7 default drivers for this joystick and all has been fine up to today.

Obviously, there is an interaction with Muvizu and the Joystick, which is working perfectly for all my games.

I restarted the system from a cold boot and the problem persists, even while going directly into Muvizu upon login.
Really strange that the Joystick controls Muvizu. Now I can't use this great software.

Is this a Muvizu bug? Is there anything I can do to correct this?

Very strange! Please help.

TIA,

Smartypants
edited by Smartypants on 22/12/2013
15/12/2013 18:48:54

ziggy72Muvizu mogulExperimental user
ziggy72
Hi, yeah, it's called the Deadzone on your joystick - that's the extent to which the joystick has to move to trigger an input into the computer. If you've never changed the default deadzone before, it'll probably be set too small (less than 5%). Check your Logitech control panel and increase the deadzone to 7 or 8%, that should help.
16/12/2013 02:42:06

Smartypants
Smartypants
Hi ziggy72 and others,

I don't have a Logitech Control Panel, just the built-in facilities within Windows 7.

Could you kindly walk me through this? The joystick seems perfectly calibrated in all my games.
That is, no movement without input.

I don't understand why the Joystick would interact with the Mouse for input?
Muvizu only uses the Mouse, correct?

Perhaps it might be a Muvizu programming issue, since it still says "beta."
Funny thing is that I have been using this configuration for months and never had this before.

Thanks,

Smartypants
edited by Smartypants on 16/12/2013
16/12/2013 18:31:44

urbanlamb
urbanlamb
(Account inactive)
lol smartypants (like the name) the dead space issue is on both sides but if you have played any indy games you will find this as well I dont have a joystick or gamepad attached anymore but you can compensate on your end if muvizu makes things too tight we will have trouble using it so better to adjust on our side there is usually settings under the hardware configuration you would need to bring up the properties panel for your joystick and then probably click advanced right click to bring up properties and then hit advanced and the settings for things are in there usually. Anything that doesn't have a fancy panel is usualy accessed in this way the gui stuff is just fluff

it should be under system and security on control panel, click the devices, then look for your joystick in that mess and then click on properties and it will bring up what you need. If i can't find anything I just route around in there and find the device and access is the old fashioned way

*stops short or rambling on about dos*
16/12/2013 20:43:38

Smartypants
Smartypants
Hi urbanlamb,

Thanks for your response.

I loaded Muvizu onto another Windows 7 system, installed the joystick and now have the same problem there as well.

All user configurable settings for the Joystick are normal and functioning in that way.

Could someone from Muvizu get involved?

Cheers,

Smartypants Logic
16/12/2013 21:05:25

urbanlamb
urbanlamb
(Account inactive)
hi you might want to try this form its their helpdesk

http://muvizu.com/Support

logic says that most directx controllers should work of course I have a million year old microsoft gamepad i was going to try anyhow contact support maybe they can tell you what button to push. They are busy with their next release so they probably are not forum lurking much right now
16/12/2013 23:13:51

ziggy72
Smartypants (that is a good name actually) are you using the Logitech Profiler software as part of installing the joystick? If so, the calibration options are in there.
17/12/2013 12:52:54

NeilExperimental userMuvizu staff
Neil
Smartypants wrote:
Could someone from Muvizu get involved?

That would be me.

Smartypants wrote:
I don't understand why the Joystick would interact with the Mouse for input?
Muvizu only uses the Mouse, correct?

We added support for Microsoft's Xbox controller in version 1.2.

Smartypants wrote:
Perhaps it might be a Muvizu programming issue, since it still says "beta."

Getting a little off-topic for a moment, but I just wanted to point out that Muvizu hasn't been in beta since the launch of Muvizu:Play v1.0 a while ago.

Right, now let's have a look at fixing this controller of yours...

There's a configuration file called "MuvizuInput.ini" that (assuming you've installed to the default place) will be in this folder:
  • C:\Program Files\Muvizu Play\MuvizuGame\Config

Open that file with notepad. Part way down, you'll see a bunch of lines that look like this:

Bindings=(Name="XboxTypeS_RightThumbStick",Command="SwitchToLookInvert")
Bindings=(Name="XboxTypeS_LeftX",Command="Axis aStrafe Speed=1.0 DeadZone=0.3 | Axis aActorStrafe Speed=1.0 DeadZone=0.3")
Bindings=(Name="XboxTypeS_LeftY",Command="GroundForwards")
Bindings=(Name="XboxTypeS_RightX",Command="Axis aTurn Speed=2.0 DeadZone=0.3 | Axis aActorTurn Speed=5.0 DeadZone=0.3")
Bindings=(Name="XboxTypeS_RightY",Command="LookNormal")
Bindings=(Name="XboxTypeS_LeftTriggerAxis",Command="Axis aUp Speed=-1.0 DeadZone=0.1 | Axis aActorUp Speed=-1.0 DeadZone=0.1")
Bindings=(Name="XboxTypeS_RightTriggerAxis",Command="Axis aUp Speed=1.0 DeadZone=0.1 | Axis aActorUp Speed=1.0 DeadZone=0.1")
Bindings=(Name="XboxTypeS_Start",Command="UI ToggleRecord")
Bindings=(Name="XboxTypeS_Back",Command="UI TogglePlayback")
Bindings=(Name="XboxTypeS_DPad_Left",Command="UI ScrubPrev")
Bindings=(Name="XboxTypeS_DPad_Right",Command="UI ScrubNext")
Bindings=(Name="XboxTypeS_Y",Command="UI Timeline")

I've bolded the bits that control the dead zone that Ziggy is talking about. Try changing each of those so that they have a bigger number (e.g. "DeadZone=0.5" or "DeadZone=0.9") instead. Save the file in Notepad and launch Muvizu again.

Please let me know how you get on and if it fixes your problem. We don't have one of those Logitech controllers in the office to be able to diagnose the problem without your assistance but hopefully with a little patience and perseverance we can get this fixed for you. Thanks, Smartypants (love that name, btw)
17/12/2013 17:27:38

MrDrWho13Muvizu mogulExperimental user
MrDrWho13
Did you have Muvizu before Muvizu:Play was released?
17/12/2013 19:55:38

Smartypants
Smartypants
Hi Neil,

Thank you for your rapid and kind response.

Funny thing is that I turned on my main Windows 7 system,
fired up Muvizu and now everything is fine (at least for now.)

Let me monitor this situation and get back to you. Obviously something very weird is up.

Hi MrDrWho13,

Yes, I had Muvizu already installed before I was "upgraded" to Muvizu:Play

Should I cleanly uninstall and reinstall the program?

Cheers and many thanks,

Smartypants On Topic
edited by Smartypants on 17/12/2013
17/12/2013 20:45:52

MrDrWho13
Just to make sure you're not opening the wrong version:
Muvizu:Play = White icon on desktop (or wherever)
Muvizu Beta = Pink icon on desktop (or wherever)

Just in case you're clicking the wrong one.
17/12/2013 22:04:51

Smartypants
Smartypants
Hi all,

Running the latest build of Muvizu:Play. 1.2 build, 2013-10-28.01R, 64 bit.
Decided not to reinstall, since everything still appears OK.
Will need to test on second computer with Windows 7.

Neil, my apologies, it is not a Beta, my mistake.
MrDrWho13, it is the White icon... Muvizu Play as mentioned above.

Don't know why I had this problem for a full day, even after a cold reboot (x2).
Started it today and everything is fine. Did you people push out an update? Whaaaaa?

If it crops up again or on the other computer, I will try the fix as Neil mentioned.

Many thanks to all!

Cheers,

Smartypants lol hit
edited by Smartypants on 17/12/2013
18/12/2013 11:49:04

NeilExperimental userMuvizu staff
Neil
Hi Smartypants,

I'm glad it's back to working as expected. In my humble opinion, I think it's likely that something had been interfering with the joypad's idea of where its centre is. This could be anything from a cat sitting on it when you booted the PC to random fluctuations in the space-time continuum (I'm looking at YOU, MrDrWho13!!!).

If it comes back, then please do try out my suggestions and let me know how you get on.
18/12/2013 15:57:43

MrDrWho13
Neil wrote:
This could be anything from a cat sitting on it when you booted the PC to random fluctuations in the space-time continuum (I'm looking at YOU, MrDrWho13!!!).

Yeah, sorry about those!

Runs back to Tardis.
22/12/2013 19:21:53

Smartypants
Smartypants
Greetings Neil,

Well, turned on my system today, went into Muvizu and the problem started again. Cursing

So I carefully followed all your instructions in the above post and modified the correct .ini file.
Created a copy of the original one, too.

"I've bolded the bits that control the dead zone that Ziggy is talking about. Try changing each of those so that they have a bigger number (e.g. "DeadZone=0.5" or "DeadZone=0.9") instead. Save the file in Notepad and launch Muvizu again."

Tried 0.5 first, then 0.9 - unfortunately the change didn't work.
What is the next step? I'm gobsmacked.

Respectfully,

Smartypants
22/12/2013 19:40:23

primaveranz
primaveranz
I am just guessing here, but do you have any other peripherals connected which might be interfering with the joystick?
22/12/2013 20:20:12

ziggy72
Smartypants (lol) try changing the values for the deadzones to something less subtle - silly numbers, like 10 or something, to see if it makes any difference at all - if huge values don't change anything, it's not the deadzone that's the issue.
22/12/2013 20:46:52

Smartypants
Smartypants
Hi ziggy72 and Neil and others...

Relpaced all DeadZone=0.7 settings to DeadZone=10.
Unfortunately, this did not resolve the issue.

I have a USB external HDD and a USB Joystick (as above) connected.
No known system changes have been made for weeks.

Joystick on all games (when run) perform perfectly.

So I performed a simple test -

Closed Muvizu and removed USB Joystick.
Restarted Muvizu with USB Joystick. All works fine.
Restarted system. All works fine.

Closed Muvizu and reconnected USB Joystick.
Restarted Muvizu with USB Joystick. Problem returns.
Restarted system. Problem returns.

Idea...

Is there any way in Muvizu to inhibit *any* joystick and controller input?
That is, except for the Keyboard and Mouse?

TIA,

Smartypants
22/12/2013 21:20:48

ziggy72
Well, since joypad support has only been added quite recently, I think it's fair to say that you've found the first bug - sorry, you don't win a prize or anything Muvizu HQ isn't back in action (officially) until the 6th, so your workaround looks like the best course of action until then.
08/01/2014 16:02:12

Smartypants
Smartypants
Happy New Year!

Patiently awaiting a response. I really would like to have this solved.

Thanks,

Smartypants Logic
pages: 1 2 | the topic is closed

Home ? Tech Help ? Muvizu main screen area continuously spinning.