Messages in this topic - RSS

Home ? Feedback ? List of improvements

the topic is closed
19/08/2010 10:38:51

ukBertyMuvizu mogulExperimental user
ukBerty
Firstly can I just say howawesome Muvizu is. I have been using it for two weeks animating a script wewrote for the radio many years ago (it never made it!). I can’t tell you howpleased I am with it.
Anyway, after using it for manyhours now I have a few improvements/additions which would benefit the product.

1. Textures on shapes. This would enable us tocreate some basic 3D objects. I use the backdrops and partially transparent PNGfiles for 2D images which is great, but 3D would help.

2. Better movement control. This is probably themost frustrating element. Making characters move is hit and miss. In order toget anything looking competent I end up putting the character in free space,recording a movement using the “drag” method with the pink dots (the arrow methodis too stop start). As it’s so difficult to control where the character willend up I then move the timeline to the end of the move, position the characterwhere I want and then work backwards. I have to position the cameras afterdoing the moves as the moves are the most uncontrollable elements.
Being able to edit moves would sort thisout. Just do a rough move with the “drag” and the adjust accordingly.

3. You can’t adjust the length of animations. Ithink there are three types of animations; a) move b) fixed length e.g. cleanear and c) variable length e.g. happy idle. The latter two should appear indifferent colours on the timeline and you should be able to adjust the lengthof type c).

4. Insert animation into timeline. This would savea lot of mucking about.

5. Undo. I have learnt to be very careful whenmoving things around. If you change the scale or adjust an object so that otherobjects move then the undo will only undo the movement of the object you haveselect. The rest of the set remains devastated. Could we have a tick box oneach object stating “cannot move” – this would fix it in position regardless ofwhat else happens – I don’t want my walls moving around.

6. Two monitors. Most users who use a lot of videoediting will have two monitors and this would really make a lot of sense to havethe option of moving all the control screens (particularly the camera views) toa second screen.

7. Scale adjuster is too sensitive. Either keyboard control or a % box which youcan adjust is needed here. I am trying to use the alphabet objects and getting them the samesize is a “do it by eye” job.

8. Head movement too sensitive. Again this shouldbe able to be controlled with the keyboard in much finer detail then at themoment (unless I’m missing something). What about holding cntrl down for fine movement.

9. Animation of cameras and objects. I know it’sbeen mentioned before but this would be great. Could also do with animating thecamera properties (i.e. zoom).

I know it’s a big list, but I just want the product to beeven better than it is.

Cheers
Berty
edited by ukBerty on 8/19/2010
19/08/2010 12:37:27

glasgowjim
glasgowjim
Hi Berty, thanks for using Muvizu.

I will answer your questions as well as I can - I can't provide a timescale for the stuff we are working on but we are working on it.

1. Textures on shapes. This would enable us tocreate some basic 3D objects. I use the backdrops and partially transparent PNGfiles for 2D images which is great, but 3D would help.

This is something that a lot of us want to see - we aren't working on it at the moment but, hopefully, it will be added at a later date. We are working on object importing, so there will be an ability to import custom models made in the .ase format.

2. Better movement control. This is probably themost frustrating element. Making characters move is hit and miss. In order toget anything looking competent I end up putting the character in free space,recording a movement using the “drag” method with the pink dots (the arrow methodis too stop start). As it’s so difficult to control where the character willend up I then move the timeline to the end of the move, position the characterwhere I want and then work backwards. I have to position the cameras afterdoing the moves as the moves are the most uncontrollable elements.
Being able to edit moves would sort thisout. Just do a rough move with the “drag” and the adjust accordingly.

Alternative movement controls are currently being looked at - I would personally love to see the keyboard being used.

3. You can’t adjust the length of animations. Ithink there are three types of animations; a) move b) fixed length e.g. cleanear and c) variable length e.g. happy idle. The latter two should appear indifferent colours on the timeline and you should be able to adjust the lengthof type c).

4. Insert animation into timeline. This would savea lot of mucking about.

Additional ways of editing Animation types and durations are being looked at and the Devs want to do both of the things that you have suggested.

5. Undo. I have learnt to be very careful whenmoving things around. If you change the scale or adjust an object so that otherobjects move then the undo will only undo the movement of the object you haveselect. The rest of the set remains devastated. Could we have a tick box oneach object stating “cannot move” – this would fix it in position regardless ofwhat else happens – I don’t want my walls moving around.

This is something that has been suggested in the past - it is something that we would love to do but we aren't working on it at the moment.

6. Two monitors. Most users who use a lot of videoediting will have two monitors and this would really make a lot of sense to havethe option of moving all the control screens (particularly the camera views) toa second screen.

Using a second monitor is something that would require a complete rebuild of the user interface - it isn't in the pipeline at the moment as it would require a huge amount of work that could be spent on other areas of the programme. It may be done in the distant future.

7. Scale adjuster is too sensitive. Either keyboard control or a % box which youcan adjust is needed here. I am trying to use the alphabet objects and getting them the samesize is a “do it by eye” job.

That's a pretty good idea - I will pass it on.

8. Head movement too sensitive. Again this shouldbe able to be controlled with the keyboard in much finer detail then at themoment (unless I’m missing something). What about holding cntrl down for fine movement.

The finer head and eye movements are done using the mouse - you can achieve very small movements that way.

9. Animation of cameras and objects. I know it’sbeen mentioned before but this would be great. Could also do with animating thecamera properties (i.e. zoom).

Animated Cameras and Animated Properties are both being worked on at the moment (I am looking forward to being able to perform a Dolly Zoom http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolly_zoom)

If you have any other questions or feeback please let us know.

Take care,
-Jim.
edited by glasgowjim on 8/19/2010
19/08/2010 22:24:41

Hermit
Hermit
glasgowjim wrote:
(I am looking forward to being able to perform a Dolly Zoom http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolly_zoom)

Well, most of the elements are already there for it, such as adjustable field of view and depth of field. The camera only needs to have animation control and the rest is a doddle Anyone who wants to try the Dolly Zoom (otherwise known as the Vertigo Zoom, the Contra Zoom etc...) with a real camcorder, only needs to zoom in on any object whilst moving away from it, or zoom out whilst moving towards it. It's quite fun, and it's always been just as simple with 3D software.
20/08/2010 07:54:29

ukBerty
Thanks for the reply GlasgowJim.

I'm looking forward to that "Jaws" moment as well with a dolly-zoom.

Thanks for getting some of my ideas on the list.

I do use the mouse for head control but it's so sensitive - my characters often look like their necks have broken as their heads flop around ! - I'll try turning the sensitivity of the mouse down in windows.

Thanks again for the great work - hopefully I'll have finished my little film in around 3 months and can get my life back. Muvizu is too addictive.

Berty
20/08/2010 10:04:13

glasgowjim
glasgowjim
Hi again Berty,

Suggestions and feedback are always welcome - there's no point in making a product that people don't want .

I tried tinkering with some of the sensitivity settings in the configuration files and it didn't make a lot of difference - let me know how you get on.

Take care,
-Jim.
20/08/2010 14:24:12

mystoMuvizu mogulExperimental user
mysto
I have a few suggestions for the program but most of them have already been addressed. I am finding that it's not really what the program has or does not have, it's how I can make best use of the capabilities at hand. Sure I'd like to see some improvements and with time I'm sure the Muvizu team will address many of them. In the mean time I'm having a ball working with Muvizu. I look forward to watching this program and community grow and expand.
edited by mysto on 8/20/2010
20/08/2010 16:55:54

Emily
Emily
(Account inactive)
Great stuff Mysto - can't wait to see what you come up with!

All the best making your animations and don't forget we have a competition running with some pretty nice prizes.
Check it out at http://raindance.tv/muvizu or at http://www.muvizu.com/SiteNews/Default.aspx?did=63.

Have a great weekend,

Emily.
23/08/2010 08:45:56

ukBerty
Jim,

I'm sure I read on another thread that the camera animations would be "at the end of the month". Are we talking August here ?
I'm just starting a scene which would really benefit from this enhancement. If it's really that imminent I'll skip this scene and move onto others.

Thanks

Berty
23/08/2010 10:23:01

glasgowjim
glasgowjim
Hi Berty,

Moving cameras should be in the next release which is due at the end of August - I am looking forward to seeing what people can do with them.

Take care,
-Jim.
23/08/2010 13:38:05

Robwelsh
Robwelsh
Hello folks just a small thing but would make life easier- a visual graded scale on the 'scale' box for people and objects, and also one for the volume on audio and dialogue- especially useful for when using same background audio in different sets. It would be more functional than the little paper mask I sometimes use!
Cheers
Rob
24/08/2010 15:45:48

glasgowjim
glasgowjim
Hi Rob,

Having a percentage value visible when using the sliders has been suggested before and the Devs are looking into how it could be implemented.

If you have any other questions or suggestions please let us know.
-Jim
24/08/2010 17:10:52

Robwelsh
Robwelsh
Being able to have a character whistle and have his hands in his pockets would be cool!
R
25/08/2010 10:59:11

glasgowjim
glasgowjim
Hi again Rob,

I have passed that on - I like the idea of a character whistling away nonchalantly with his hands in his pockets.

Take care,
-Jim.
25/08/2010 12:56:35

Robwelsh
Robwelsh
And how about some kind of rope/wire/vine to swing or walk on? Am thinking Wile E Coyote, Tarzan, superheroes.....
R
the topic is closed

Home ? Feedback ? List of improvements