Messages in this topic - RSS

Home ? Tech Help ? Website and project collaboration

the topic is closed
03/09/2010 11:43:27

KerryK
KerryK
(Account inactive)
Hi all,
As you more experienced Muvizu users know, we're very keen on getting the opinions and suggestions of our users. After all, we do all this for you - we want you to enjoy using Muvizu and being part of the community. A lot of you have already given feedback and suggestions for the application, and now we'd like to ask your advice on the website.

The point of the website, besides being a place to show off your skills and your Muvizu knowledge (you guys are getting scarily good at it!), is to also provide a space for like-minded people to collaborate on projects. Whether this is providing audio, coming up with a clever script or just being exceptionally good at building sets *cough cough Than cough* - we want you to use the site to work together.

Currently, we offer a space in the forum for you to do just that http://www.muvizu.com/Forum/forum923-collaboration-requests.aspx We also offer an internal site messaging system. We are trying to keep it simple, but we'd really like your thoughts on what sort of tools you'd like for the site (with collaboration in mind) and what you think would be useful.

So please, give your two pence here and feel free to go crazy.

Thanks!

Kerry
edited by KerryK on 9/3/2010
03/09/2010 12:16:42

artpenMuvizu mogulExperimental user
artpen
I think a lot of users have different skills, sound, building sets,
Characters, humour, special fx, titles, ect.
From what I've seen, the quality is there now.
Let's think big as a community, why not go for a 15 min cartoon.
Start a forum for a vote on what type of movie we should make.
Then everybody votes for who they would like to do a task?
Then when all voted are in, well, we have a crew, a team ready
if willing to make it Cool
03/09/2010 12:20:41

toonaramaMuvizu mogulExperimental user
toonarama
KerryK
Just to get the feedback started some quick thoughts.
1. I think a dedicated area for making completed scripts "available" for anybody to use (with some form of CC badge) is required. At the moment the scripts area just has all the scripts previously uploaded most of which seem to be empty/unfinished anyway.

2. This could also be given some form of themed structure: historical/comedic etc or even better could use tags to make it searchable.

3. The stills area exhibits the same problem as it just appears to consists of everybody's "photo". If this is to be useful it needs to be an area for stills which can be used as backgrounds etc (or there storage issues here - can some link be made to flickr directories or similar.

4. Audio - again this could be used in a similar way so that it only containes finished dialogues/background tracks that people are happy for anyone to use and again would benefit from searchable tags

5. Sets would be another good area (I know Than has started this off) and I would love it if someone started producing some less graphics intensive ones!

These are all things which make material available and accessible to all - I'll have to think longer about actual collaboration

Thanks

Toonarama
03/09/2010 12:37:20

KerryK
KerryK
(Account inactive)
Thanks guys for your quick response!

toonarama, as usual - a very detailed response so i'll pull a neil and respond to each:

1. the cc badge: great idea - we're currently looking into implementing something along those lines (i believe vince mentioned it here Further to the technical hurdles, we'd also like your thoughts on ownership and rights. We are thinking of going down the GNU GPL v3 route, which allows owners of content to say how it may be used and so protect their rights, commercial and intellectual, to that content. Information about GPL v3 may be found here.*) with some guidance on preference from our users. we're looking into what we have to do to integrate it into the site, so watch this space.

2,3,4,5: all excellent points! a way of filtering and categorising these assets is imperitive - especially when we integrate the site with the app. what we need is categories, but i like your suggestion of starting off basically (ex: audio split into dialogue, sfx, background noise, music). what i may do is put up our proposed categories here for all the above and if i've missed anything out, please just shout at me.

will keep you guys posted.

*taken from the gallery page under 3D assets tab http://www.muvizu.com/Gallery/
03/09/2010 12:38:36

KerryK
KerryK
(Account inactive)
@artpen that is a very ambitious plan! sounds exciting and like one hell of a project - but i think something that can be accommodated on the current site.
06/09/2010 10:48:07

toonarama
Hello KerryK
I think true collaboration (as opposed to making assets available to others) will be quite difficult to achieve in any meaningful way.
The type of thing I could see working is one contibutor specifically requesting from another contributor: characters, sets, soundtrack, voices, objects etc.
I guess this could be left to the individuals concerned but the "wheels could be oiled" by having a separate tab within the community page (possibly driven by selections made on individuals preference pages?) where users could make themselves "available" for such work.
The users could then collaborate using emails or the personal message system (does this cope with attachments) or is it possible for privately uploaded assets to be made available by selected individuals.
Perhaps the lack of responses to the post suggest a lack of enthusiasm for the idea but maybe everybody's too busy getting their competition entry in.
Personally I think it is a good idea and will help promote better animations.
all the best
Mick
10/09/2010 11:44:37

toonarama
still no more responses??!
12/10/2010 10:44:53

toonarama
I still think some form of "loose" collaboration would work on the site (as per my earlier suggestions) and having had a quick peek at Wreckamovie.com I can see the appeal of trying to implement something similar with Muvizu.
However, how about just making use of the wreckamovie site/community and having some sort of tie-up.
It would prevent re-inventing the wheel and would/could also attract new users with different talents to the software
12/10/2010 11:00:24

freakmoomin
freakmoomin
pretty cool website that!
some of the live action stuff is pretty high quality!!!

collaboration is kinda the holy grail and extremely hard to get right, but hopefully we will see something here.

the most successfull animation collaboration idea ive seen is prob http://www.massanimation.com/

but this is run full time by a studio and a whole lot of £££ is pumped into it.....good idea tho.
the topic is closed

Home ? Tech Help ? Website and project collaboration