Messages in this topic - RSS

Home ? Publishing Your Video ? The BIG Ol' Codec**t and Windows 10...

pages: 1 2 | Please log in or register, then complete your details to create a post.
12/10/2015 11:11:39

EEFilmzExperimental user
EEFilmz
Well, I'm not sure where things went awry with my previous rendering tests(things changed w/more detailed sets!), but I now seem to be STUCK! with Uncompressed, MSVC1, IUYV/IUYVi420, proDAD(crashes Muvizu), Targa, and most of which take over 90+ minutes to render 1.5 minutes and render 4gb+ file sizes that are too huge to import anywhere!?!? I'm impatient yeah, but I've killed days trying to figure this out, as I have stated before, I don't like the idea of downloading codec paks, especially in the ever so buggy windows 10! xvid doesn't even work in it.
I've achieved some really cool things here I just cannot render them high quality in an acceptable timeframe...ugh there's GOTTA be an easier way...why doesn't Muvizu have other codec options installed? or a secure method/site to get whatever is needed. Once it's out of Muvizu I'm good, I can put it in my editor and shrink it fine...thoughts?
12/10/2015 12:43:29

ukBertyMuvizu mogulExperimental user
ukBerty
I know it's probably not what you want to hear but.... I think most of us have given up with codecs completely because of the reasons you list. Render times are probably more to do with your PC spec rather than the format. At higher resolutions the 2GB limit will get you pretty soon so we're all just left with.... TARGA !

I was a late adopter of these and since moving to them all the silly little issues have gone.

I suspect no matter what you do you are heading for TARGA Time.
edited by ukBerty on 12/10/2015
12/10/2015 18:57:15

EEFilmzExperimental user
EEFilmz
ukBerty wrote:
I know it's probably not what you want to hear but.... I think most of us have given up with codecs completely because of the reasons you list. Render times are probably more to do with your PC spec rather than the format. At higher resolutions the 2GB limit will get you pretty soon so we're all just left with.... TARGA !

I was a late adopter of these and since moving to them all the silly little issues have gone.

I suspect no matter what you do you are heading for TARGA Time.
edited by ukBerty on 12/10/2015

LOL @ ukBerty!! Thanks buddy, ...oddly I already tried that in desperation last night, but stopped it, cuz the folder was getting HUGE quickly ugh.
12/10/2015 19:12:55

ziggy72Muvizu mogulExperimental user
ziggy72
EEF, it's TGA all the way. Seriously, the file sizes are still going to be huge regardless of which codec you use anyway (in HD), and hard drives are cheap. TGA takes the same amount of time to render, has no limits, keeps all it's frames in a dedicated folder, and you can alter individual frames (in photoshop or whatever) before you edit them together. Sod movie files, get the source frames and you have so much more control, like ukBerty just posted about (the Depth Pass option, another TGA bonus feature). Embrace it dude! Big Grin
12/10/2015 20:18:21

Clam
Clam
Also, you can import targa images into your favorite drawing program. Add cartoon dialog balloons--instant comic book!
12/10/2015 20:36:26

EEFilmzExperimental user
EEFilmz
ziggy72 wrote:
EEF, it's TGA all the way. Seriously, the file sizes are still going to be huge regardless of which codec you use anyway (in HD), and hard drives are cheap. TGA takes the same amount of time to render, has no limits, keeps all it's frames in a dedicated folder, and you can alter individual frames (in photoshop or whatever) before you edit them together. Sod movie files, get the source frames and you have so much more control, like ukBerty just posted about (the Depth Pass option, another TGA bonus feature). Embrace it dude! Big Grin

"sod" Movie files? What's sod? Not too familiar w depth pass, tried lookin it up but...is that a depth perception render? I agree I should/will try it! Lol
12/10/2015 20:37:21

EEFilmzExperimental user
EEFilmz
Clam wrote:
Also, you can import targa images into your favorite drawing program. Add cartoon dialog balloons--instant comic book!

I like this idea alot thanks everyone!
12/10/2015 20:41:33

fazz68
fazz68
(Account inactive)
EEFilmz wrote:

"sod" Movie files? What's sod? Not too familiar w depth pass, tried lookin it up but...is that a depth perception render? I agree I should/will try it! Lol

sod is just a term we like to use over here in our neck of the woods... basically it means F**K em just a more polite way of saying it Big Grin
edited by fazz68 on 12/10/2015
12/10/2015 20:51:23

EEFilmzExperimental user
EEFilmz
fazz68 wrote:
EEFilmz wrote:

sod is just a term we like to use over here in our neck of the woods... basically it means F**K em just a more polite way of saying it Big Grin
edited by fazz68 on 12/10/2015

Lol ok thanks, never too old to learn new things šŸ˜
13/10/2015 07:17:00

MrDrWho13Muvizu mogulExperimental user
MrDrWho13
If you're not planning to upload to youtube directly from Muvizu, Targa sequences are the only serious option. As the others have said: storage prices have plummeted so it won't break the bank to get a terabyte or two extra storage if that's the issue. Rendering times depend mainly on your graphics card (Or chip, for laptops) so have a look into upgrading if that's the issue. I found using DirectX9 was faster to render with tga files, but you don't get the advantage of using layers.
31/10/2015 01:25:58

EEFilmzExperimental user
EEFilmz
Well, the verdict is in, tests done, I've wasted ALOT of time and energy trying to figure out why codecs are impossible now (yes I said this sort of thing recently - UKBerty was right, I didn't wanna hear it lol), so when I took the advice of trying Targa files reluctantly, for me, it wasn't a great thing, not really a viable option for me. Here's why, huge file/folder sizes, TONS of images!, which also took just as long to create as the videos using codecs, only now your left to swim through thousands of images, and I just saw the layers video too. For me though, I'm using 64-bit and in the very near future I wanna see Muvizu provide us (that prefer rendering videos out) with more codecs for 64 bit!! IF I could get the video out of Muvizu looking decent in a reasonable time I don't care how huge the file is since I can render 1 minute at a time, and once I get it into my excellent video editor it shrinks it considerably anyway. I have a huge HD, also a huge External HD, Nvidia Graphics card using CUDA technology, so my equipment is totally good enough. Muvizu needs to make more options for 64 bit. I don't wanna kick out a video w/mono sound and non HD quality in a squared off format. I'm trying to make HD videos like I have in the past but for some reason now it seems impossible, and I REALLY wanted to upload a video for Halloween(sets are done!) but just can't get a decent quality/short render time useable video RENDER out of Muvizu ugh!! Are you guys at Muvizu seriously tellin' me I'm STUCK w/NO other options other than TARGA?!
31/10/2015 09:44:15

MrDrWho13
You shouldn't need to go hunting through folders for the images. Your video editor should have an option to select the entire sequence and display as a video on the timeline.
What graphics card do you have? A fairly good one will seriously improve the render times (and loading times and general smoothness of Muvizu)
Avi is an ancient format, and Muvizu uses an even older version.

But I'm sure you've heard it all before!
31/10/2015 10:53:04

ukBertyMuvizu mogulExperimental user
ukBerty
EE - I resisted TARGA for ages as well as I just couldn't bear the admin required to manage the damn things. But....

After being forced down that route I have embraced it.

• Create a folder for each shot rather than having them all in one folder.
  • If you do use layers then there will be subfolders under these
  • As MDW says, your video editor should be able to import these so they appear as a single entity rather than hundreds of files
  • Yes rendering now takes longer, especially with multiple layers, but the pluses for me outweigh this.
  • No more 2GB file limit (although when I render AVI files out of HitFilm they are much much larger than 2GB and work perfectly - which I don't understand).
Have I sold you on them yet ??
31/10/2015 11:00:14

MrDrWho13
ukBerty wrote:
  • No more 2GB file limit (although when I render AVI files out of HitFilm they are much much larger than 2GB and work perfectly - which I don't understand).

A while ago I heard they used an older version which was the cause of the size limit, but I'll have to double check.
31/10/2015 19:58:12

EEFilmzExperimental user
EEFilmz
ukBerty wrote:
EE - I resisted TARGA for ages as well as I just couldn't bear the admin required to manage the damn things. But....

After being forced down that route I have embraced it.

• Create a folder for each shot rather than having them all in one folder.
  • If you do use layers then there will be subfolders under these
  • As MDW says, your video editor should be able to import these so they appear as a single entity rather than hundreds of files
  • Yes rendering now takes longer, especially with multiple layers, but the pluses for me outweigh this.

Have I sold you on them yet ??

LOL@ukBerty, thanks for the tips Berty and Mdw, yeah until this thread I did not realize No More 2GB file limit, or that my editor would see all those as one file...really? that is a plus then, I may have to try this!
I will say that, somehow last night, I finally got a decent result using 1280x720/IUV rendered out 1 minute at a time(about 8-9 minutes rendering time) 1.93GB each x3 files which my editor shrunk all 3 down to 1, 106mb MP4 file that looked great! but no telling what'll happen when I create a very busy, highly complicated scene...in which case Targa would be the TAR-GET...Thanks you guys! 8)

Also...is there a way (for me)to really tell if Muvizu, and my video editor are using my CUDA technology? I checked the box in CPD13(it was fast anyway) but not sure if that did anything, and Muvizu?
edited by EEFilmz on 31/10/2015
31/10/2015 21:11:09

MrDrWho13
I'm not sure the CUDA technology is much of an advantage, it seems to be in pretty much every Nvidia card ever made (It was released 8 years ago!). Although I've never heard of it before so I may be missing something.

Also, to import the targa sequence into sony vegas you have to check this box after selecting the first frame:

edited by MrDrWho13 on 31/10/2015
31/10/2015 21:27:01

EEFilmzExperimental user
EEFilmz
CUDA speeds up rendering video speeds and utilizes the graphics card ram rather than the cpu's. My new video editor is Cyberlink Powerdirector 13, so far I like it a lot.

MrDrWho13 wrote:
I'm not sure the CUDA technology is much of an advantage, it seems to be in pretty much every Nvidia card ever made (It was released 8 years ago!). Although I've never heard of it before so I may be missing something.

Also, to import the targa sequence into sony vegas you have to check this box after selecting the first frame:

edited by MrDrWho13 on 31/10/2015
31/10/2015 21:42:25

MrDrWho13
EEFilmz wrote:
CUDA speeds up rendering video speeds and utilizes the graphics card ram rather than the cpu's.

Using the VRAM is a basic requirement of a graphics card surely?

EEFilmz wrote:
I have a huge HD, also a huge External HD, Nvidia Graphics card using CUDA technology, so my equipment is totally good enough
just can't get a decent quality/short render time useable video RENDER out of Muvizu ugh!!

Sorry I had to point out that the CUDA technology of a GPU isn't a major selling factor (You talk about it like it marks a GPU as high performance). The render times will be affected by what graphics card you have. Compare yours to something like the low budget GTX 750ti: http://www.futuremark.com/hardware/gpu/NVIDIA+GeForce+GTX+750+Ti/review

TARGA is the way forward. (I'm determined to convert you! )
31/10/2015 22:30:17

EEFilmzExperimental user
EEFilmz
MDW I'm not boasting about my 3 year old graphics card lol, I'm just stating a fact that "enabling CUDA" should, or is supposed to dramatically increase rendering times, and I wondered if Muvizu's program is ever gonna utilize it? and if Muvizu is ever gonna include more codecs in the 64-bit version I use? because as everyone knows Muvizu's renderer is slow... My equipment is 3 years old, so as technology advances rapidly I know it's out of date, but it's by no means dead in the water. As long as it does what I need it to do I'm happy. I just am unsure how to tell when it's using it or not (except for when I use my editor because I enabled it manually in the editor). Me and technology have a love/hate relationship.
31/10/2015 22:44:40

MrDrWho13
Ah OK, I misunderstood there. (Although if you do ever have some money spare, a GPU upgrade will kick a bit more life into any older PC)

Since there is no option in the settings mentioning it you'll have to assume that there's no way to control this in Muvizu unless you hear differently from the staff. As long as you've enabled it in your GPU settings it should be fine.
Muvizu should render as fast as possible - the main selling point of it is the ease and speed, after all. Have you got any comparative timings for tga vs avi?

I wish you luck in your codec research but I'm still persistent that tga is the only serious way to export movies from Muvizu.
pages: 1 2 | Please log in or register, then complete your details to create a post.

Home ? Publishing Your Video ? The BIG Ol' Codec**t and Windows 10...