Messages in this topic - RSS

Home ? Tips & Tricks ? Outerra / Anteworld

the topic is closed
16/05/2016 04:57:53

PatMarrNCMuvizu mogul
PatMarrNC
I'm starting a new thread for this because I think there may be enough interest to merit future discussion.

Based on my exploration, I am totally excited about the potential to create virtually any navigable landscape effortlessly. That's powerful, and worth a lot more than $16.25 USD to me. But I'm not so excited about the bullets that keep whizzing past me every few minutes. I don't have any interest in it as a game engine, only as a terrain generator.

If anybody figures out how to opt out of being a target in somebody else's game, please post the answer here. Meanwhile I'll keep reading in hopes of finding the answer myself.
edited by PatMarrNC on 16/05/2016
16/05/2016 07:57:27

ikesMuvizu mogul
ikes
Hi Pat,

Good idea to start a thread about this.
You can shoot with the left mousebutton, but I don't relate of being shot at? That did not happen to me, as far as I know you are roaming the world alone.
16/05/2016 14:09:01

PatMarrNCMuvizu mogul
PatMarrNC
ikes wrote:
Hi Pat,

Good idea to start a thread about this.
You can shoot with the left mousebutton, but I don't relate of being shot at? That did not happen to me, as far as I know you are roaming the world alone.

Yeah, I posted my question on the Outerra forum and got mocked by the gamer crowd that hangs out there. ;-)

They suggested I might be hearing some environmental noise and interpreting it as gun shots... but I actually didn't hear any noise at all. Did you watch the demo about real-time craters? What I experienced looked like the rocket flares that caused the craters. Pretty hard to confuse that with something else. They kept streaming over my head (always from behind, no matter which direction I faced) and landing near me, like I was being shot at in a first person shooter game.

I'm a workaround kind of guy... if I can get what I need, I'm willing to delete a few seconds of unexpected footage to get hours and hours of top notch 3D environment! I plunked down my money as soon as I saw that it worked with my hardware!

They really should consider a separate marketing plan for animators who want to use the footage to make money. I notice their present position is that paid users can use footage in films for personal use, but not for professional use. I figure eventually they'll open that up, but it certainly won't be for 14 euros.

Their current offer to buy into all future updates is just too good to pass up! Thanks again for bringing this to my attention!
16/05/2016 14:12:45

PatMarrNCMuvizu mogul
PatMarrNC
based on your observation about the left mouse button, my guess is that I was shooting the rockets myself without realizing it... fumbling with the mouse mindlessly while my attention remained fixed on the amazing panorama unfolding before me

----- edit------
I just tested the hypothesis, and yes, that is exactly what I saw: The result of pressing the left mouse button!

Which is great because even though it means I'm an idiot on one hand, on the other hand it also means that I won't be continually annoyed by attackers when I try to build scenes ;-)
edited by PatMarrNC on 16/05/2016
16/05/2016 16:10:28

PatMarrNCMuvizu mogul
PatMarrNC
The more I explore Outerra, the more impressed I am. You can be anywhere in the world instantly! (but no cities unless you build them... the engine builds landscapes algorithmically based on geodata)

But the ability to import objects, build roads, shoot guns, drive vehicles and have vegetation that moves and water that ripples... these are all things we'd like to see more of in Muvizu, and now we can have the best of both worlds at a price that is even lower than that of Muvizu!

It would be VERY cool (since Muvizu is also based on a gaming engine) to see a collaboration between the companies. Outerra wants to eventually add animation (which Muvizu has nailed) and Muvizu would benefit from having more dynamic terrain creation tools (which Outerra has nailed)

But even apart from a collaboration between the two companies, the potential SYNERGY between them is already mind boggling.
For anybody out there using Muvizu who hasn't already invested in something like iClone to get 3-D terrains, I strongly recommend shelling out the small amount they're asking for what appears to be a perpetual license for all future upgrades!
16/05/2016 16:32:55

ikesMuvizu mogul
ikes
Hi Pat,

I had the thought already that you were shooting rockets yourself, haha. It happend to me also, that I accidentally pressed the button and with a quite loud volume setting, my heart jumped..

I was not aware that you can not use the film footage for commercially purpose, that is a bit of a bummer. Hope that changes in the future.

If muvizu and outerra would melt to one program, that would really be awesome! Alltough the muvizu world is a lot smaller and since it's based on unreal engine, i'm not sure if they can combine their programs.
16/05/2016 18:14:22

ikesMuvizu mogul
ikes
As I was reading in the forum of outerra I came across this post about using video's and this was the answer of an administrator:

"Non-commercial is fine, even the case with running ads on the site where the content is shown. Commercial use is handled individually on request, but for small scale we are usually fine when you use the full version with no extra requirements."

I think if you're not making a blockbuster, you can use the video's.
16/05/2016 19:53:43

PatMarrNCMuvizu mogul
PatMarrNC
I think if you're not making a blockbuster, you can use the video's.

then I'm safe. ;-) Not much chance of any blockbusters from me.
the topic is closed

Home ? Tips & Tricks ? Outerra / Anteworld