Messages in this topic - RSS

Home ? Your Videos ? Second video, Minions styled characters....

Please log in or register, then complete your details to create a post.
31/07/2016 04:47:29

christian_clavet
christian_clavet
Hi, This is my second video made with Muvizu, I also used Hitfilm for this one (mostly for the titles and the audio editing).

If you want to make characters like that I have made available the assets from my web site as:
- sample .set file
- FBX of the glasses
- Body texture
Here isthe file.

The story:
Quite simple. Since the characters are "minions", they should try to behave like them. They do something and most of time it end in mahem...

Limits:
I've decided to impose limits on creation as:
- Must be done in a single day. I've done a test first to see how the character worked to be sure I could have something first.

So the video could be even better, but in the time frame I had and stuff I've observed, there it is.

- Seen that dialogue audio start from frame 0 and cannot really be tweaked. I had to make tracks of audio separately covering the entire sequence (Sorry, decided to only mute the singer and guitarist voices from the original audio, when they were not singing instead of singing for them, that's why the lipsync is not accurate)
- The more stuff we had the more time it take and slower the application becomes. I have a CPU intel I7 3770K, 16 Gb of ram and a GTX 780 video card, and it was fast at first with the singer, but the more characters I was adding, the slower it was. Was also longer to render. At the end with the 6 characters the interactive display was getting quite slow. Have some of you done a project with 20-30 characters?

For this clip, with the 6 characters it took:
- 2 Gb of ram
- 45 minutes to render in full hd

EDIT:
After looking more into Muvizu, I found out that I could display the screen with no lighting, and could create layers (and hide some parts while working on others), on my next videos I will try this to see if it improve refreshes while editing.
edited by christian_clavet on 02/08/2016
03/08/2016 21:51:55

MrDrWho13Muvizu mogulExperimental user
MrDrWho13
Thanks for the excellent walk-through! I'm sure this will be helpful for people attempting similar projects in the future.

The bottleneck with your system here is the GTX 780. Muvizu is heavily reliant on the video card, and the 780 is what I would recommend as the minimum. If you find yourself wanting to upgrade your computer, you might want to look into some of these cards (In ascending order of performance):
  • AMD RX 470
  • AMD RX 480 (or NVidia GTX 970)
  • NVidia GTX 1060
  • NVidia GTX 1070 (or NVidia GTX 980)
  • NVidia GTX 1080
03/08/2016 22:01:26

christian_clavet
christian_clavet
Thanks MrDrWho13!
Yeah, I'm still waiting for my EVGA GTX 1080 FTW but I will wait a while, most of theses cards are backordered... (Ordered it last month)

For this kind of work (choreographing cartoons), there is a surely a way to develop a good workflow that is efficient and have the best rendering at the end. The more I will work with MUVIZU and learn it, I find a way to make it more efficient in editing. I will probably post a tutorial video about this when I'll find the proper workflow. For the last video, I was working with full rendering qualities (occlusion culling on, lighting on etc), so did not help MUZIVU to display the changes quickly when I was editing the scene.
03/08/2016 23:17:06

PatMarrNCMuvizu mogul
PatMarrNC
Nice! I like the background information and your generous offer to make your elements available to others!

I'm not real familiar with the minions but I've seen pictures in passing enough to know you did a good job of replicating the look.
03/08/2016 23:43:13

Rocque
Rocque
That was really cute. I have never seen a minions movie either. Maybe one day I will get up the courage to watch. Just from what I seems, it might be too close to my reality. I enjoyed your video though and the characters you created.
04/08/2016 14:32:07

ziggy72Muvizu mogulExperimental user
ziggy72
@ Christian Clavet - I did a project with 130 characters once. Once! Never again. 7 or 8 second lag for every thing on the timeline to happen, horrendous. A couple of dozen is reasonable, but then I'm using a GTX 970 and Windows 7 (every version above that sucks - don't care what Microsoft says, everything higher than 7 sucks in terms of speed and getting the most out of Muvizu).
04/08/2016 14:38:20

MrDrWho13
ziggy72 wrote:
@ Christian Clavet - I did a project with 130 characters once. Once! Never again. 7 or 8 second lag for every thing on the timeline to happen, horrendous. A couple of dozen is reasonable, but then I'm using a GTX 970 and Windows 7 (every version above that sucks - don't care what Microsoft says, everything higher than 7 sucks in terms of speed and getting the most out of Muvizu).

I can't comment on speed since I went from Windows 7 on a slow HDD to Windows 10 on an SSD, but Windows 10 has much improved with functionality. Better native multi-monitor support, better multi-drive support, better file transfer wizard, better looks ( ). And you can render in UHD from Muvizu. What more could you want?
04/08/2016 21:51:01

clayster2012Muvizu mogul
clayster2012
A while back I tried to make a minion for a video I was going to make, but for some reason they just didn't look right with long legs,with many tries of different model peaces that I have made, I came up with a few that came real close to looking good, and the only ones that works for attachments for the characters, so since I never really used them and I seen this topic, I figured I would share them here, maybe someone can make them work for what they want to do.

Here's picture of the minions I have made.

Here's the link to the set
https://we.tl/v93fnfUs8I

And here is the link to the model attachments
https://we.tl/YPGno3WzJ2

As you can see I made a body and a head as two different attachments,and I rounded the ends for better mesh collision that makes them look better attached to each other, I also made a opening for the mouth and I added black to the inside of the goggles so it will better blend with the eyes, I tested them with all of the actions and they work really well with most of them, but there are some that don't work well with them, so you would have to play around with the actions to see which one work, anyways Hope this helps, and I'm sorry that I never realized anyone really needed them.

Enjoy!
04/08/2016 21:52:48

clayster2012Muvizu mogul
clayster2012
Oh yea i almost forgot, the one eyed minion, well his eye is the only one that can't be animated!
06/08/2016 17:51:19

christian_clavet
christian_clavet
Hi! Thanks for the comments!

For the performance issue, I'm working on a workflow that should improve things a lot. Muvizu have tools to improve the refresh while editing and I was not using them!

I've done a quick test this week, and in the part of the scene (Minion burning by fire that was slowing down a lot the refresh). Found out, that I can render in "unlit mode" in the view menu. This will accelerate the rendering since Muzivu don't have to render the shadows. Also found the layer and this one is REALLY powerful in crowded scenes. You can set the models you want in a LAYER then when your working to choregraph something, you can hide (no render) the geometry you don't need to do the edit, so it lower a lot the geometry to render and make it fast again. When everything is done, you unhide all the layers and render.

This worked with my current scenes and I plan to do a polished version of the video with a lot more people in the room using this. Also Ikes showed me a trick to create a single eyes character and I've done the glasses for "bob". (Here are the glasses for this one , and the SET). So the next version will have a single eye minion (the one on the keyboard).

Thanks for your post Clayster, your Minion look nice too! The suit look really detailed!
08/08/2016 08:59:50

MrDrWho13
You probably want to render with shadows enabled, but having shadows disabled when you're working on the scene does help.
Please log in or register, then complete your details to create a post.

Home ? Your Videos ? Second video, Minions styled characters....