Messages in this topic - RSS

Home ? For New Users ? Bump Mapping...

Please log in or register, then complete your details to create a post.
22/12/2016 16:40:17

Hauksbee
Hauksbee
I know that Muvizu supports Transparencies, but what about Bump Maps? If I build an object in 3DMax and apply a Bump Map, will it show when imported into Muvizu?
22/12/2016 17:34:46

PatMarrNCMuvizu mogul
PatMarrNC
Hauksbee wrote:
I know that Muvizu supports Transparencies, but what about Bump Maps? If I build an object in 3DMax and apply a Bump Map, will it show when imported into Muvizu?

I can't say for sure, but I think not. I recently made what I considered to be a very realistic paint job in 3d-coat, and when I opened it in Muvizu it didn't look nearly as good.

But, to make sure, here's a link to Support: https://www.muvizu.com/Support

Please let us know whatever you find out
22/12/2016 18:56:01

fazz68
fazz68
(Account inactive)
yes you can. bump maps... normal maps... all does the same thing....

its all been in the wiki for years...

http://muvizu.com/Wiki/wiki/85/import-objects-fbx-material-guidelines
22/12/2016 19:33:40

Hauksbee
Hauksbee
fazz68 wrote:
yes you can. bump maps...its all been in the wiki for years...

Thanks for the come-back Fazz68. It's been in the wiki for years? I just got here last Saturday.

PatMarrNC: I posted the querry to Muvizu/Support. We'll see what they say.
23/12/2016 04:05:05

primaveranz
primaveranz
I have never seen any option (when editing a .FBX imported into Muvizu) which allows me to change anything other than the Diffuse image and colour and also the Specular and Emissive colours only. No Bump map image or colour and no Emissive or Specular images either. I guess it depends on what software you use to create the FBX.
23/12/2016 14:48:58

fazz68
fazz68
(Account inactive)
primaveranz wrote:
I have never seen any option (when editing a .FBX imported into Muvizu) which allows me to change anything other than the Diffuse image and colour and also the Specular and Emissive colours only. No Bump map image or colour and no Emissive or Specular images either. I guess it depends on what software you use to create the FBX.

yes mate you have to have it all set up properly on the model when you are making/exporting it or it wont show up in the edit properties menu on a model. same with the specular maps. you can get some really good looking stuff into muvizu if its done well. ive used blender to do it and it works just fine (once you get past the trillion buttons in blender that is lol)
edited by fazz68 on 23/12/2016
23/12/2016 17:28:38

Hauksbee
Hauksbee
PatMarrNC wrote:
Hauksbee wrote:
But, to make sure, here's a link to Support: https://www.muvizu.com/Support
Please let us know whatever you find out

This morning, the Oracle of Glassgow spoke (aka Jaime Hill):

"Muvizu does not support bump maps, but it does support normal maps."

So, there it is.
23/12/2016 17:33:31

PatMarrNCMuvizu mogul
PatMarrNC
Thanks, Fazz68...

I just imported the model painted in 3d-coat, and it does indeed show all those additional maps in the muvizu properties tab. (called normal map, however... not bump map)

But... it looks nothing like it did in 3d-coat, so something is getting lost in the translation. It may have something to do with the way alpha channel is used by 3d-coat to dither and blend the various maps. Muvizu seems to set the opacity either on or off, which makes the color regions end abruptly, like those old paint by number paintings that were popular years ago. (they had no color blending, just a series of different shades adjacent to one another, simulating a blend from a distance

The fact that 3d-coat exports all those maps as Targa images is partly what suggests they use alpha for blending, as that's one of the strengths of that format.

------------------------------------
edited by PatMarrNC on 23/12/2016
23/12/2016 17:41:15

fazz68
fazz68
(Account inactive)
lol like i said bump map... normal map... all does the same thing
Please log in or register, then complete your details to create a post.

Home ? For New Users ? Bump Mapping...