Messages in this topic - RSS

Home ? How Do I ...? ? Parental Controls/Explicit Content Filters

the topic is closed
04/11/2010 12:13:51

glasgowjim
glasgowjim
I thought it would make sense to have a thread where we can specifically discuss parental controls, and ways it could be implemented.

muggopaul wrote:
Hi Muvizu team

I love Muvizu - so do my children! I discovered it after seeing it featured on BBC's Click.
I'm a parent and also a Drama and ICT teacher and would love to know how best to encourage my students to safely view videos.

What's the chance of having Muvizu's films on the website given a thumbs up symbol if Muvizu or one of the people who've seen or submitted a movie think it suitable for children / classroom viewing? Would be good to know if things have swearing etc.

04/11/2010 12:15:11

glasgowjim
glasgowjim
pyrrho wrote:

A content warning is something that we've been discussing for some time now, mainly because of the educational interest in Muvizu. We have yet to find a suitable system to implement but, given that parents, guardians, teachers and the like will have differing views on what is acceptable viewing and what is not, there is already a way to achieve this.

All of our content exists on YouTube, it is merely called in to our site after publication. Every user has a YouTube account to which they submit their videos. So, if your school or group set up a YouTube account and linked it to your Muvizu account - which, in the case of young children should be a gatekeeper account - you could post your videos there and use that as a safe viewing channel.

To view Muvizu-generated content not posted by your group, which presumably you would have to vet to ensure that each clip met your criteria for suitability, you would merely need to specify your chosen clips as favourites and they could also be watched via your YouTube channel. It would be impossible for us to maintain a system of ratings/censorship that satisfied a huge range of what was deemed acceptable or unacceptable depending on the person responsible for children in their charge.

(There is also the age-old problem that flagging something up as unsuitable can act as an incentive for those deemed too young to seek it out.)

This is an interesting topic and I'd like to see it discussed in a thread all of its own.
04/11/2010 12:23:20

pyrrho
pyrrho
I have given this some further thought. Perhaps we could create an email newsletter with embedded content suitable, by generally accepted standards regarding language and theme, for school-age children. This could be circulated among subscriber groups and interested parents. Responses to such a circular would also serve to inform development of features for educational use, something in which we are interested, and perhaps promote collaboration, which is something that we are trying to encourage.

vince
04/11/2010 13:17:48

toonaramaMuvizu mogulExperimental user
toonarama
Not sure how you currently identify the subsets within your galleries but you must have some method of marking your faves; could you not use the same approach for educational and/or child friendly content?
04/11/2010 13:21:21

toonaramaMuvizu mogulExperimental user
toonarama
Another more drastic approach might be to encourage the setting up of a separate site just for educational purposes. This might be a good way of selling itto the educational community. You could easily see how you hcould have separate galleries for different subjects
04/11/2010 14:42:05

muggopaul
muggopaul
Hi - thanks for the responses. I think the idea of a seperate / sister site targeted at schools could prove hugely reassuring to school curriculum and network managers etc. I also love the idea of an educational newsletter with ideas and links.

It would be great to offer students the power to browse videos for inspiration (and entertainment). I've started trying to embed youtube videos into powerpoint slides when showing examples.

Many thanks

Paul
edited by muggopaul on 11/4/2010
08/11/2010 13:25:55

Matt
Matt
How about, instead of separating mild content from the main site, you could filter mature content into a different section which requires age to be above 15 to access? Perhaps it would also discourage the use of bad language and mature content, as people will ultimately want their videos to get more views.

When I first found out about Muvizu, I thought that it was aimed at children anyway. But, there's been quite a bit of mature content, which doesn't fit right if you ask me.

I've had a parent inquire about Muvizu for her kids to mess about with, and I had to warn her about letting her children browse through the videos by themselves, which put her off I think.
08/11/2010 14:14:31

jonbezMuvizu mogulExperimental user
jonbez
Maybe if muvizu provided a downloadable still image that has a warning age thingy, people could be encouraged to use that and add it to the beginning of there videos. I'd be happy too use something like this for my videos that contain adult humor. I know not everyone would use it and it doent solve the problem with video already out on youtube but its a start in the right direction. Also if the upload process had a tick box somewhere for marking contents as adult I'd be happy to use that too. that could helpout if you decided to incorporate a filter system.
edited by jonbez on 11/8/2010
08/11/2010 16:12:10

83fgh5t1
83fgh5t1
Perhaps youcould do what they do with the bbc iPlayer.....give you a tick-box that you need to press before seeing adult content
15/01/2011 22:54:56

ziggy72Muvizu mogulExperimental user
ziggy72
I know this topic has been quiet for a while, but I'd like to first of all agree with Matt's suggestion (look up a couple of posts, I'm not going to quote it again ya lazy people!) and ask for some clarification on adult language. I'm about to start a new animation, which has wall to wall swearing in it (for comedic purposes, you understand) and I would like it to be listed here on the good ship Muvizu, not just on YouTube (assuming they haven't randomly closed my account again). I was intending to start it's description with a BIG WARNING ABOUT BAD LANGUAGE anyway, but will that suffice?
17/01/2011 11:37:18

glasgowjim
glasgowjim
Hi Ziggy,

It should be fine - there are a few vids with quite a lot of swearing in them (like the Ireland we loved, for instance) with no warning - so if you stick a warning on yours I don't think there should be a problem.

Take it easy,
-Jim.
18/01/2011 00:24:58

ziggy72Muvizu mogulExperimental user
ziggy72
F**cking brilliant. Just getting in the spirit
the topic is closed

Home ? How Do I ...? ? Parental Controls/Explicit Content Filters