Messages in this topic - RSS

Home ? Importing Assets ? How do I import with textures?

the topic is closed
07/12/2010 01:42:01

RightURKen
RightURKen
I've been importing objects with Google SketchUp 8. Works fine for some objects that don't need textures, since I can't seem to import the textures with the objects.. I need houses and city buildings, offices, skyscapers, that sort of thing. Problem with buildings is that they need textures to be complete. Am I doing something wrong or is there no current way to import objects with textures?
07/12/2010 11:33:32

glasgowjim
glasgowjim
Hi RightUrKen,

There is a problem with the Sketchup Importer's textures - it makes them all the defaultd toto.bmp but there is a work-around:

If you open up the .ase file using Wordpad or any other text editor (I use Notepad++) you will see the following sections for each material:

*MAP_DIFFUSE {
*MAP_CLASS "Bitmap"
*BITMAP "C:\ut3\toto.bmp"

If you change the file name and path to the correct bitmap/tga then it should work.

Take care,
-Jim.
07/12/2010 23:31:27

RightURKen
RightURKen
glasgowjim wrote:

*MAP_DIFFUSE {
*MAP_CLASS "Bitmap"

If you change the file name and path to the correct bitmap/tga then it should work. .

I not sure what you mean here. Are you saying change C:\ut3\toto.bmp? To what from there?

edited by RightURKen on 08/12/2010
08/12/2010 10:29:56

glasgowjim
glasgowjim
RightURKen wrote:
glasgowjim wrote:

*MAP_DIFFUSE {
*MAP_CLASS "Bitmap"

If you change the file name and path to the correct bitmap/tga then it should work. .

I not sure what you mean here. Are you saying change C:\ut3\toto.bmp? To what from there?

edited by RightURKen on 08/12/2010

You change the file path to the location where you have saved the custom textures on your computer:

For instance if your custom texture files are saved at C:\users\Ken\Pictures\texture1.bmp you would change the file path in the .ase file to that.
08/12/2010 11:54:19

RightURKen
RightURKen
I'm not following you. But could be my fault. I forgot to mention I'm importing from Google Warehouse, I'm not making the items myself.

Is there a way to import completed models from Warehouse with textures.
08/12/2010 12:08:38

glasgowjim
glasgowjim
Aah, right got you - in order to have the custom textures loaded into Muvizu they need to be saved as separate image files.

Sketchup models have the textures included with the model, and I am not sure if you can export the textures, but I will have a look.
08/12/2010 12:19:14

glasgowjim
glasgowjim
I can't find a plugin for exporting the textures, but it can be done via the console - unfortunately it's not the simplest solution:

http://code.google.com/apis/sketchup/docs/ourdoc/texturewriter.html#load
the topic is closed

Home ? Importing Assets ? How do I import with textures?