Messages in this topic - RSS

Home ? General Discussion ? The Beautiful Game....Spot Dylly!

the topic is closed
19/05/2012 02:39:52

DyllyMuvizu mogulExperimental user
Dylly
Every year, since before Christ, the people from my village in Lincolnshire have played the 'game' on the 6th of January, New years Day by the old calender. One of the forerunners to football...the story goes...

Lady deMobray was riding over the hill when her hood fell off. The peasants (men of the bog((we are so far below sea level here that on certain roads you are excused wearing a seat belt in a car in case you drop into a dyke and drown)) or Boggins) fought to get the right to give the hood back, the man who won the hood was too shy to give the hood back to the lady and another man took it away from him. The lady told the man who won the hood he was the fool, the man who gave the hood back was to be the Lord of the Hood. Every 6th of January we 'play the game'. The rules are simple...

Its man against man,
House against house,(pubs and villages)
If a man meets a man...
Knock him down
But don't ot (hurt) him.

you cannot run with the hood just push (in a big rugby scrum). The winning team is the one that oushes the hood to the pub and the landlord receives the hood without leaving his premises. The prize? Free Beer all round!

Now spot me in the video!

19/05/2012 06:41:29

ukBertyMuvizu mogulExperimental user
ukBerty
I love these eccentric English rituals. There are more of them than you'd think. My Brother-in-Law is in the Heptonstall Pace Egg (Google it!) which is equally bizarre - all clogs and real ale. I haven't been for a couple of years as my liver can't take it.

Spot you in the video. Now let's see.... Are you in the photo from the 1890s ?
21/05/2012 10:38:27

JamieMuvizu staff
Jamie
(Account inactive)
Is it a trick question? Your filming it?

--
Direct, don't animate!
the topic is closed

Home ? General Discussion ? The Beautiful Game....Spot Dylly!