Messages in this topic - RSS

Home ? Feedback ? Smaller set of abstract shapes

the topic is closed
16/10/2012 16:36:58

simonhefferMuvizu mogulExperimental user
simonheffer
Sometimes I need a prop that's hand-sized and whilst I can, say, add a cigarette texture to a cylinder etc, getting it the right scale for my character is not always possible.

So could we have some abstract shapes that start a bit smaller? I can't keep asking Dylly!!!Whaaaaa?
16/10/2012 16:52:29

WozToonsExperimental user
WozToons
Have you tried scaling the characters up as well as scaling the objects down?
16/10/2012 18:11:03

simonheffer
Yes but that means scaling everything up just to fit the abstract shape. OK on a sparse set but not practical on a decorated set.
16/10/2012 19:54:21

WozToonsExperimental user
WozToons
I understand and if it hasn't been factored in to the original design then I can see how this can cause problems. I don't want to sound patronising but the only other way round it is to have a separate scaled shot ( e.g. close up ).

The idea of more scaleable abstracts is an excellent one but given the heavy workload Team Muvizu have between tea breaks I think we may have to wait a while.
17/10/2012 06:47:49

ukBertyMuvizu mogulExperimental user
ukBerty
simonheffer wrote:
Sometimes I need a prop that's hand-sized and whilst I can, say, add a cigarette texture to a cylinder etc, getting it the right scale for my character is not always possible.

So could we have some abstract shapes that start a bit smaller? I can't keep asking Dylly!!!Whaaaaa?

Simon - Sketchup is the answer here. I know it's daunting and seems almost impossibly complex and badly designed at first (actually what am I saying - it still does!), but these are exactly the sort of issues that enabled me to dip my toe in and start learning it.

I needed a specific cigarette pack as well. So I went to Sketchup, found a pack in the 3D warehouse, found a google image of the brand I wanted and learnt how to apply my own textures. This was a great lesson.

The first model I made from scratch was a door. A simple rectangle to which I have applied textures. I could have just used backdrops, but I now have opening doors with some depth. I also use this rectangle for pavements and pretty much any rectanguloid object I need.

I bought a secondhand copy of "Sketchup for Dummies" which is OK, but I also use YouTube tutorials on how to do things. I'm no expert, but I'm starting to get round any prop issues I have.
17/10/2012 10:10:08

simonheffer
Well, I also found a pack of cigarettes which already had the right brand on it but when I imported I just had the pink colour all over. Any idea how to fix that?
17/10/2012 10:33:41

ukBertyMuvizu mogulExperimental user
ukBerty
You need to export the textures as well.

In Sketchup.. View > materials and the material window appears
Then hit the picture of the little house on that window and it lists the materials in the model (plus some standard ones). Find the ones you want and right mouse>export and save as JPGs.
Then import the .ase into Muvizu saying "don't use ID textures". You can then assign these JPG files to the relevant surfaces.

Let me know how you get on.
17/10/2012 20:29:07

DyllyMuvizu mogulExperimental user
Dylly
A good place for Sketchup tips is www.sketchucation.com now they have just rejigged their site for some reason but it was a good source of free plugins and tutorials.
17/10/2012 23:19:10

simonheffer
ukBerty wrote:
You need to export the textures as well.

In Sketchup.. View > materials and the material window appears
Then hit the picture of the little house on that window and it lists the materials in the model (plus some standard ones). Find the ones you want and right mouse>export and save as JPGs.
Then import the .ase into Muvizu saying "don't use ID textures". You can then assign these JPG files to the relevant surfaces.

Let me know how you get on.

Aha! That seemed to do it.
Many thanks,
Simon
the topic is closed

Home ? Feedback ? Smaller set of abstract shapes