Messages in this topic - RSS

Home ? General Discussion ? eBook users - you're ruining it for everyone!!!

the topic is closed
06/01/2011 10:20:12

83fgh5t1
83fgh5t1
I like books. Books can be carried in your bag, can be taken on holiday, are water-proof and sun-cream proof. They hold information in a way that can be accessed at any time, in any place. You can skip pages, dive in half-way through or make notes in the margin. They can hold text and pictures. Fat, cardboard books show children wonderful things and improve their curiosity and hand skills. You can even embed squeaky things, felt patches and puppets within books.

Books can be kept forever, can be leant or given away. Libraries may hold and distribute books willy-nilly. Once you're done with a book you can even sell it at a jumble sale. Maybe you might buy another book at the same jumble sale.

So, eBook users, why are you condeming the rest of us to a future of digital, rights-managed, company-controlled novels, stories and encyclopedias? Why are you beckoning in a system of reading that needs plastic and chips and batteries and cables and screens?

Les
02/02/2011 23:23:16

ziggy72Muvizu mogulExperimental user
ziggy72
Books are a great thing - they've served us well for centuries. But so did the horse until we invented cars and planes, so now we don't have horse sh*t all over the streets. My point is that there are some definite problems with books, too.

One book - fine. 20 books - kinda heavy. 1000 books - need an entire building for that...or one ebook reader.

Books aren't what you'd normally call waterproof - and paper is more fragile than it looks (highly flammable too).

Ever tried to hold up a Tom Clancy novel for any length of time? Painful on the fingers, very painful.

Books don't have backlights - reading in the dark is not an option.

You can't change the font size on a book if you find the typeface hard to read.

I love books too, don't get me wrong, I'm just saying you can't deny that there are definite advantages to having a digital option as well. And as for looking at "a system of reading that needs plastic and chips and batteries and cables and screens" well, aren't you already using a system just like that to read this? Also, by the same logic, aren't Muvizu and the other 3D animation packages the digital equivelant of claymation, meaning it will spell the end of stop motion animation? I don't think so.

Books aint disappearing anytime soon, that's my answer to your (well made) point. Rant over
the topic is closed

Home ? General Discussion ? eBook users - you're ruining it for everyone!!!