Messages in this topic - RSS

Home ? Tech Help ? Muvizu with VMWare on Mac crashes

the topic is closed
30/10/2012 13:45:11

futurekids
futurekids
Hello,
We have a school using 10 Mac's with VMWare. After the application is launched, if we maximize the screen, there is an error message and Muvizu shuts down.
Has anyone heard of this problem?
If not, do you suggest using an older/lighter version of Muvizu (perhaps less demanding in resources)?
Thanks for your help,
Futurekids-Switzerland.
30/10/2012 15:47:47

JamieMuvizu staff
Jamie
(Account inactive)
Hi futurekids,

What is the error message you receive before Muvizu shuts down? A screen shot would be helpful but text is fine

Previous versions of Muvizu are available on our download page (http://www.muvizu.com/Download/) but they are not less demanding in system resources.

--
Direct, don't animate!
06/11/2012 08:16:21

futurekids
futurekids
Hello Jamie,
Sorry for the delay in getting back, while we carried out some tests.
Muvizu crashes in several situations: each time we open a project file and each time we maximize the window or do video -> make video. (It also crashes sometimes at launch.) The message is always the same: ?FRA?Launch.Errors.Error_RanOutOfVideoMemory? (OK)
Another issue (probably related) is that windows inside Muvizu (timeline or camera window e.g.) constantly blink.
We tried allocating VMWare more power (3.5GB memory), to no avail. We also brought screen resolution down to 800x600 which allows to maximize the window, but even then the video export crashes and the blinking continues.
Thank you for your help.
06/11/2012 10:05:49

JamieMuvizu staff
Jamie
(Account inactive)
Hi future kids. The error you are getting means that it is running out of system memory. It happens sometimes. I'm not sure how the memory usage works for a virtual machine, and I'm no mac expert either.

We have one tutorial on using Muvizu on a mac but I think this is for bootcamp. We do get feedback of people using it on a mac so it must be possible

Has anyone had any experience of this?

--
Direct, don't animate!
06/11/2012 11:07:32

futurekids
futurekids
Hi Jamie, and thanks. We're also not Mac experts unfortunately!
But since this is a virtual Windows machine, could you tell me, if that same message showed up on a true Windows machine what settings you would change (you mention system memory, did you mean that, or video memory?)
And what would you recommend under Windows for the constant flicker problem?
Thanks a lot!
06/11/2012 11:29:41

JamieMuvizu staff
Jamie
(Account inactive)
The unfortunate truth is that if these problems were being reported for a true Windows machine, I'd recommend buying a new one as it obviously isn't up to the job of running Muvizu. You could of course try updating drivers, updating your operating system, adding more ram, buying a new graphics card but even doing all those things my guess would be your 'true windows' system would only just be able to run Muvizu.

You could also try running another Unreal engine based game (Mass Effects is one of my favourites )

Since you are running on a VM and I've no idea what spec of Mac you have, I don't know if your problem relates to the Mac hardware you are using or if its a problem with VMWare. Most people who have used Muvizu on a Mac have gone for the bootcamp option rather than VM. I think the difference is that bootcamp lets you run Windows directly on Mac hardware rather than the Mac hardware running mac software to run a virtual machine that finally runs windows which in turn runs Muvizu.

But like I say, I'm not a Mac expert

--
Direct, don't animate!
07/11/2012 15:37:20

futurekids
futurekids
Hi Jamie,
Could you pls. look at these specs and tell us if they sound within minima for Muvizu. In particular the Graphics Card?

Because if they are we can assume the problem is with VMWare and concentrate on fixing that.
iMac 21,5'' CPU 4-heart Intel Core i5 2,5 GHz with 6 MB shared cash memory L3, 4GB RAM DDR3
Mac OS X Snow Leopard
Graphics card AMD ATI Radeon HD 6750M with 512 MB GDDR5 memory. I saw a minimum ATI 1300 card mentioned somewhere, but I don't know if the 6750 is faster.
Many thanks.
07/11/2012 16:35:30

JamieMuvizu staff
Jamie
(Account inactive)
Yeah, I think the problem is totally with VMWare. The machine specs you listed are good for running Muvizu so I think the problem is that you are going Mac Hardware > Mac OS > VM Ware > Windows > Muvizu.

I'd certainly try the bootcamp option as it will let you go from Mac Hardware > Windows > Muvizu and allow you full access to system resources rather than having several other layers eating up resources before Muvizu gets a chance to take a bite

--
Direct, don't animate!
the topic is closed

Home ? Tech Help ? Muvizu with VMWare on Mac crashes