Messages in this topic - RSS

Home ? Tech Help ? Basic spec for using software to full capacity

the topic is closed
02/09/2010 16:27:03

toonaramaMuvizu mogulExperimental user
toonarama
Hello there
It stikes me that there may be a number of Muvizu users who (like me) are persevering with under-spec computers because of the quality of the software but who are seriously considering buying a better computer to take full advantage of it's capabilities.
With that in mind I would like to ask the users/Muvizu developers who have computers which can handle the program without problem what sort of basic spec their computers are.
I would love to splash out a £1000 but my better half wouldn't let me and i appreciate there is a minimum spec but i would really like to get an idea of how much it would cost to buy a PC which would allow me to use Muvizu to the full now and (dare I say it) over the next few years.
Many thanks to anyone who can help.
all the best
Toonarama
02/09/2010 17:31:47

glasgowjim
glasgowjim
Hi Mick,

You get the best "bang for buck" by building your own system (or by giving a student a crate of beer to do it for you) - you can build a system that would run Muvizu comfortably for around £275.

The reason you can build a pc yourself for less cash is that most PC manufacturers don't use older components - they can still do the job, but they aren't as popular with people buying PCs from a manufacturer. (The GeForce 8800GT would run Muvizu fine, but I bet you will struggle finding a Manufacturer that has it in their PCs)

An "off the shelf" system can also be a good option - if you get the right one - this system on eBuyer would run Muvizu very well and is about £150 less than a similar Dell machine:
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/183308

If you want I could give you some ideas about specific parts and what to avoid.

Take care,
-Jim
edited by glasgowjim on 9/3/2010
03/09/2010 09:01:27

toonaramaMuvizu mogulExperimental user
toonarama
Jim
Thanks for that link that's a much better price range for me!

I actually work for HP (following outsourcing) and we do get employee offers (not very good ones mind) but the graphics cards they put in at that price range do not seem powerful enough.

Is lack of support for Direct x 11.0 likely to be an issue with Muvizu?

many thanks for your help

Mick
03/09/2010 11:13:48

glasgowjim
glasgowjim
Hi again Mick,

No Direct X 11 support shouldn't be a problem - the devs are looking at moving onto DX 10 as it would allow anti-aliasing, but any GeForce 9 + card has DX10 support.

I would always recommend GeForce cards with Unreal Engine products as Epic do a lot of work with Nvidia and as such GeForce cards tend to work better.

The website "Tom's Hardware" does a pretty good graphics card comparison:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/charts/2010-gaming-graphics-charts-high-quality/Sum-of-FPS-Benchmarks-Totals,2393.html

The GeForce 9800GT (which I own) runs Muvizu pretty well so anything close to or above it should be fine.

and also a "best bang for buck" guide:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/geforce-gtx-460-radeon-hd-5570-gaming,review-31965.html

Prices are in $ but the cheap cards are generally also cheap in the UK.

If you have any other questions just fire away.

-Jim.
the topic is closed

Home ? Tech Help ? Basic spec for using software to full capacity