Messages in this topic - RSS

Home ? How Do I ...? ? Make a character PARTIALLY visible?

Please log in or register, then complete your details to create a post.
22/02/2016 19:50:11

CloudNinja
CloudNinja
Howdy all -
I'm working on a scene where my character is wearing an "invisible cloak" BUT I want the camera/audience to see a PARTIALLY visible character (vs. going completely invisible)....
Any thoughts, tips, tricks or general sage advice?
with appreciation,
cn
22/02/2016 19:56:44

MrDrWho13Muvizu mogulExperimental user
MrDrWho13
There's a tutorial around here somewhere, maybe it's one of dreeko's that have been deleted. Basically you have to render the exact same scene twice, once with the character, and once without. I'm not sure about the specifics, but I think you have to use the layer with the character as a mask in a video editing program such as sony vegas or coral. I'll edit this post when I find the tutorial.
edited by MrDrWho13 on 22/02/2016
22/02/2016 20:02:51

CloudNinja
CloudNinja
Much appreciated MrDrWho13...
BTW - am I out of luck to be able to do this if I don't have Vegas or Coral? (still saving for it ;0))........
22/02/2016 20:04:53

MrDrWho13
CloudNinja wrote:
Much appreciated MrDrWho13...
BTW - am I out of luck to be able to do this if I don't have Vegas or Coral? (still saving for it ;0))........

You'll need a video editor or compositor that can overlay one video over another. I've no idea if virtualdub can do this but I'll install it and find out. You can get it here: http://muvizu.com/Wiki/wiki/116

Edit: I can't find the tutorial and I'm having trouble finding compatible files for virtualdub (It doesn't like mp4).
I use Sony Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 11 which is £20 on amazon: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-Vegas-Studio-Platinum-Production/dp/B0051M6IPI/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1456171773&sr=8-4&keywords=sony+vegas
edited by MrDrWho13 on 22/02/2016
23/02/2016 16:18:23

CloudNinja
CloudNinja
MrDrWho13 - thanks for the update and links. I'm going to PM you a question....
23/02/2016 22:19:42

MrDrWho13
I've made this very short clip to represent my basic method:

What I've done is made a clip of him walking, rendered it, then made a copy of the .set file, deleted him from this new one, and rendered it out. Now I get one with and one without. In sony vegas I put the without scene on the bottom layer, and the with scene on the top, then reduced the transparency of the with scene to 50%:

Alternatively: with render layers, you could just render a layer with just the person in, then change the colour hue of the camera or the video in the editor then treat it as the with clip. It should have the same effect but give the character a different colour.
edited by MrDrWho13 on 23/02/2016
23/02/2016 23:27:11

CloudNinja
CloudNinja
AMAZING - THANK YOU!
24/02/2016 00:21:24

CloudNinja
CloudNinja
Some added notes to this amazing tutorial by MrDrWho13:
Being a complete newbie to editing in Sony Vegas - I didn't know how to set the "transparency" in Vegas as mentioned in the steps below - here's how:
Hover your mouse pointer at the top edge of the clip that you want to make semi-transparent and a hand labelled 'Opacity is 100%' appears. Holding the left button pull down and the opacity of the clip will reduce (it's transparency will increase). The whole clip will then be at the transparency chosen.
A possible shortcut rather than copy the .set file & deleting the character before rendering it again as the "without":
1 - render the "With" scene as described below.
2 - edit the character/object in Muvizu so that the character is no longer visible (edit the character and uncheck the "Visible" box) - then render the scene the 2nd time as your "without".
Thanks for the advice and hope that helps too,
.cn
Please log in or register, then complete your details to create a post.

Home ? How Do I ...? ? Make a character PARTIALLY visible?