Messages in this topic - RSS

Home ? How Do I ...? ? the tutorial is misleading?

the topic is closed
25/09/2010 18:40:35

bluecatlady1
bluecatlady1
sir, i just did loads of tutorials with notes. to get the characters to walk /run i need the disc to come up. go to direct; goto charac. animation...but no disc appears. if i hit the clapperboard on the timeline which does appear it races off recording before i've time to do anything whatever. not that i can see the disc; its behind the timeline...what am i doing wrong? used a set character/scene, nothing much comes up anyway. i just want the disc to be clear so i can get the charac moving...please advise.
26/09/2010 01:21:35

Frendor
Frendor
Hi bluecatlady1 and welcome,

Ya that's how it works Bluecatlady1, once you've set the scene up and got all the characters in place its time to Direct/Record.

Basically you direct/move a character after the clapper-board as been clicked, so lets say you want a character to move from point A to point B and in between them two points another character waves at the character that's walking. First of all move your view away from your character, not the camera view but your view by using the QWEASD keys along with the mouse. This will make it easier for you to control your character, but you are quite right when you say the timeline and other windows get in the way, with a bit of luck character movement and these large windows that get in the way will be sorted out in a future patch.

Anyway, now that you have a better view hit the clapper-board, don't worry about the time, I always give myself plenty of spare time at the beginning and end of a clip, it helps when it comes to editing anyway. Ok so once the clip is running click on the front of the disk that's around your character and slowly drag it to point B, if you move it to fast the arrow turns red and you start to run, to slow and your character will keep stopping (again its a poor system and with luck will be looked at) Once you reach point B stop the movie.

Now rewind your movie to the beginning and change character (Red broken box around character) to the one that's going to wave and hit the clapper-board, after a few seconds your first character will start to walk to point B, and at a given point/time you will click a gesture Icon, or the corresponding number on the numeric keypad (that you should have already set-up using the prepare button) and your number 2 character will wave. Now rewind the clip and hit play to view your movie. You will see one of your characters walking and the other one waving. At this point you could rewind the movie and add head/eye movements or even add more characters.

I'm not sure if you are thinking that everything has to be performed at once or not, but as you can see you can rewind and add as many times as you like, in fact you're not actually recording anything until you click on Video → Make Video. Click onto my user name and check out my video 'Funkorama'. In that video I rewind to the beginning and add dance movements to every individual character... Thats a lot of rewinds. Also don't worry too much about the timing of each gesture/movement, you can easily adjust the timing in the timeline afterwards!

Frendor.
the topic is closed

Home ? How Do I ...? ? the tutorial is misleading?