Messages in this topic - RSS

Home ? Tech Help ? What is the true internal resolution in Muvizu?

Please log in or register, then complete your details to create a post.
15/12/2016 08:05:10

ritsmer
ritsmer
Just wonder what is the true internal resolution in Muvizu?

You can render to frame sizes ranging from 480x360 up to 3840x2160 -
but in what resolution are i.e. the generated characters (potato heads and the newer ones) and other objects created?

One might imagine that Muvizu is programmed to use an internal array of pixels depicting the scene - like a .bmp picture - but how large is this array? AND does this actually matter - or are other techniques used? Is everything vectorized?
Tests show that if you zoom into a scene then Muvizu (probably?) does not hold the full scene in this array - just the characters and objects that you can see in the active view - PLUS - all the surrounding things having influence on the active view through shadows, light etc.

Of course we have to deal with the poly count - but I wonder how much we gain in respect of resolution - i.e. edge pixelation - if we render the output from Muvizu in 3840x2160 instead of, say, 1920x1080?

All this also when the characters are moving. Are they moving around internally in frames of what resolution ?? I mean: before this is rendered to the final result using the frame size you have made in the settings ?

In most of my projects Muvizu is used for character generation with a green background - and this is rendered and imported to Vegas Pro.

It does work very well - but I would like to know the theoretical? resolution that Muvizu works with internally to get a better understanding of what I do.
edited by ritsmer on 15/12/2016
15/12/2016 10:00:20

mcmillan-raExperimental userMuvizu staff
mcmillan-ra
Hi,

The engine renders at whatever size you're requesting. If you render at say 640x480 then it will use a buffer that has 307200 pixels in it. If you render at 3840x2160 then it's using a buffer that has 8294400 pixels in it. If you render with anti-aliasing on, then you're doubling the resolution in each direction - this is then "averaged" down to the original pixel size. Anything else would be wasteful and have more of a performance impact.

Because you're working with polygons, these are transformed and animated 3D space and then projected onto a 2D plane, the output resolution is totally arbitrary from the engine's point of view. Though, the higher the resolution the more it has to draw, so it will be slower.

The 3D space has full floating point resolution, so it's a good approximation of real numbers.

So, to directly answer your questions, yes it's vectorized, and no, it doesn't matter what you output at.
15/12/2016 10:27:53

ritsmer
ritsmer
Very interesting - and good to know - because it often is easier to do zoom in the Sony Vegas editor of the full finished scene - meaning - when the green screen output from Muvizu has been put together with some real-world recordings.

My real-world recordings are done in 100Mbps 4K too - giving "freedom" to do nearly 1:2 x zoom/pan without losing quality.

An example:
In this scene the sitting guy just met his (standing) "Guide to the hereafter"
As it seems to be a little "artificial" when letting Muvizu cartoon characters walk around in real-world recordings I normally "cartoonize" the finished result in the editor. (Just click the picture icon)

edited by ritsmer on 15/12/2016
15/12/2016 12:39:36

ikesMuvizu mogul
ikes
Hi Ritsmer,

You don't have to use green screens anymore, because you can render transparent png sequences.
15/12/2016 14:17:30

ritsmer
ritsmer
Ah, yes - that is a good idea too.

Working with Vegas one has to output as .png's as the alpha channel for the .tga sequence must be switched on image by image :-(

For readers who would like to study layers a little more here is a link:

http://www.muvizu.com/Wiki/wiki/161/how-to-use-layers
Please log in or register, then complete your details to create a post.

Home ? Tech Help ? What is the true internal resolution in Muvizu?