Messages in this topic - RSS

Home ? Importing Assets ? Sketchup Texture Images

the topic is closed
04/03/2012 21:54:39

WozToonsExperimental user
WozToons
Hi all, me again.

A quick question as I'm bone idle and would rather be animating than searching through forum posts. Someone here knows the answer I'm sure as the level of expertise around here is amazing. OK, flattery completed here's the question.

How do I get a flat image UV file/s from a Sketchup model so that I can draw my own textures with The Gimp? We have the texture maps for the characters on here and I can use them but if I download a Google Sketchup model how do I do the same?

Thank you in advance for any help you can offer.
05/03/2012 00:22:50

ziggy72Muvizu mogulExperimental user
ziggy72
You're right, there is another post somewhere that tells you how to do this, but as I'm in Sketchup right now I'll just tell ya :

Select your model, and open the Materials window.
In the Select tab's drop-down box, select "In Model" (top of the list)
Right click on the material you're interested in, and select "Export Texture Image" and save it to wherever.

Hope that helps.
05/03/2012 01:12:12

WozToons
Brilliant!!! Thanks mate. I know I should read the manuals but when it's just one little bit of info it's usually easier to ask.

Thanks again Ziggy72.
05/03/2012 01:24:03

WozToons
Sorry Ziggy I replied too soon.

All that does is download the texture image to use as a pattern. What I am actually interested in is the Mesh Image so that I can create ID textures and Ambient Occlusion maps. Can you or anyone else help with this please.

Thanks again for trying though.
05/03/2012 08:47:39

DyllyMuvizu mogulExperimental user
Dylly
You need a separate bit of kit to UVW unwrap a model. On the free side there is blender and many other free (often complicated) but workable apps.

I use 3ds Max and occasionally Mudbox as the process seems to be much simpler for creating UVW, AO and id maps.

It took me about 3 months of trial and error and constant 'buggering about' to hit on a method but I'm afraid it's one of those where there is no quick way around it.

I'm still looking for an appropriate script or tool set to UVW unwrap in Sketchup...will post if I ever find such a thing.
05/03/2012 09:47:23

WozToons
Thanks Dylly, oh guru of gurus in the cloud.

If you do find that Sketchup tool please PM me with it as well as posting. I'd hate to miss it.
Until then I think I'll just settle for the paint by numbers approach. There are enough good models to make that work.

On the plus side at least I've learnt how to fiddle with textures in Sketchup ( thanks ziggy72 ) and how UV and AO maps work. It's amazing what you learn when you get into Muvizu.

BTW: Does anyone know why they called Sketchup after a tomato sauce?

Thanks again Dylly. Your advice has saved me a lot of fiddling and time.
the topic is closed

Home ? Importing Assets ? Sketchup Texture Images