Messages in this topic - RSS

Home ? Importing Assets ? (SOLVED)Problem with Sketchup-to-Muvizu importing.

the topic is closed
11/03/2012 00:00:09

HayManMarcExperimental user
HayManMarc
I wanted to create an airliner cockpit, so I grabbed one from Sketchup and followed the tutorial to import it (Ford Mustang tutorial). I was able to import it and set a collision mask, but I can't enter the open space of the cockpit. What do I need to do, or am I way off base about what I'm able to do here?

Here's the cockpit I used: http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/details?mid=e60b8b600f5d171c882f2cc62481dd5a&prevstart=0

As an aside, I noticed that importing objects this way, Muvizu only displays 40 color properties in the object properties tab.
edited by HayManMarc on 13/03/2012
11/03/2012 00:30:54

ukBertyMuvizu mogulExperimental user
ukBerty
HayManMarc - Welcome from me as well !!

If you have imported the object then you're 80% there....

Firstly have you turned off "Can be stood on" on the object. This will allow your characters to walk through your object.

Depending on how you've set up the collision you may have to create some small ground planes to make your characters sit at the correct level so that they are on the seats. If you're having issues with collisions use the ZMB collision technology from this post - http://www.muvizu.com/forum/topic1589-how-do-i.aspx?p=f#post8702 and then you should be able to insert ground planes where you need them.

40 colour properties - blimey, how big is your screen ? I don't think I've ever seen that many.

Berty
11/03/2012 10:30:49

HayManMarc
Firstly have you turned off "Can be stood on" on the object. This will allow your characters to walk through your object.

Ok, I did this, but now there are no collisions whatsoever. Perhaps I'm just too much a novice for this. I might have to create the model without the seats and use Muvizu seats, or something.
11/03/2012 11:57:49

DyllyMuvizu mogulExperimental user
Dylly
Take another look at the collision mesh that you created in sketchup and only make a mesh..where you actually need one.

So in the case of the cockpit just make a collision mesh for the seat area, making sure that it is small enough to allow the character to sit down (I tend to make a simple box shape just below the characters knees and just below their backside when seated.) If the character sinks a little into the seat makes for a better illusion.

Another alternative is to use the DIB method otherwise known as Dreeko's Invisible Box (pat pending). Turn off the collision of your model (unclicking can be stood on) as Berty says, and then use the small box object in Muvizu. Change the properties of the box image to 'none' and the box is now invisible and you can slip it inside the pilot's seat. The box now acts as a semi permanent collision mesh, yet has the added benefit of being size adjustable in Muvizu.

Dreeko has made a couple of Tutorials available in the 'How To' section concerning the use of ground planes and boxes as collision meshes.
11/03/2012 12:18:53

massimo_bo
massimo_bo
Hi guys,
A few days ago I published the video “Mona Lisa Smile Backstage” with my personal solutions to these kind of problems. Team Muvizu haven't published yet (???), so I write here the link of this video (it's in italian, but i think it is understandable)

In particular, I think that the solution you need is to split sketchup model! Look at 5:30
12/03/2012 05:01:42

HayManMarc
Another alternative is to use the DIB method otherwise known as Dreeko's Invisible Box (pat pending). Turn off the collision of your model (unclicking can be stood on) as Berty says, and then use the small box object in Muvizu. Change the properties of the box image to 'none' and the box is now invisible and you can slip it inside the pilot's seat. The box now acts as a semi permanent collision mesh, yet has the added benefit of being size adjustable in Muvizu.

I was going to try this, but I can't find the properties of the box image to change it to 'none'. I assume the 'small box object' you are referring to is the yellow 'small cube' object in the 'abstract' catagory?? Anyway, when I go to edit the box, I only find the usual edit properties...

I can get the character to fly thru the cockpit, but the block finds a collision, even with the 'can stand on objects' off.
edited by HayManMarc on 12/03/2012

BTW massimo_bo --- Mona Lisa Smile is beautiful!
edited by HayManMarc on 12/03/2012
12/03/2012 05:28:11

Dylly
Here you go, this should get you to where you need to be

12/03/2012 10:04:07

Luscan
Luscan
massimo_bo wrote:
Hi guys,
A few days ago I published the video “Mona Lisa Smile Backstage” with my personal solutions to these kind of problems. Team Muvizu haven't published yet (???), so I write here the link of this video (it's in italian, but i think it is understandable)

In particular, I think that the solution you need is to split sketchup model! Look at 5:30

Hi massimo_bo. Unfortunately YouTube has turned off syndication on this video due to the background music which means we can't have it up on our website since we don't store any video on our servers. If it was up to me I'd have that on the website in a second because it's a really useful video but I'm afraid it's up to YouTube.
12/03/2012 15:37:40

HayManMarc

Ok -- thanks dylly, I found the texture tab -- again (ahem) -- but, as you can see (or not), I can get my character in the cockpit, but the block collides and will not enter. Strange. Perhaps I need to start over.

My plan, and please correct me if I'm wrong, is to start from scratch. I'll detach the floor and chairs of the cockpit (split the model per massimo_bo) and create them separately, creating collision maps for each as well.

Is this a good plan?

Also, does anyone know how to make the windows transparent? I was thinking of just completely removing them, but if I can make them transparent, it would be better.
12/03/2012 16:13:12

Dylly
If it was me that was doing it I would start again with the basic cockpit model that you downloaded initially. Strip out the windows and save them as a separate model.

Now simply add Ziggy's Matchbox collision to the cockpit.

Add the cube making sure that both cube & cock pit have 'can be stood on' unchecked.

Now assuming you can now get the pilot into the cockpit and sitting on the cube (rescale cube if need be), prepare to import the windows into Muvizu. You will need a texture for the windows (created in Photoshop or Gimp) that is semi transparent, in other words has an Alpha channel applied. Import the windows into Muvizu making sure that on import you select the following options:

don't use id textures
Map alpha to opacity
and
Facing:single sided.

Now assuming you have the collision on the cockpit as Ziggy's Matchbox, you will be able to slide the windows into position. I would put the pilot in place first though.

If you are still not having any joy, send me a link to your cock pit model and I will take a look.

Regards
Tim
13/03/2012 02:33:52

HayManMarc
Thank you, everyone! I've been able to get it working. It ain't perfect, but it'll do for now.

Here's a screenie --

I ended up separating the floor, a single seat (duplicated in Muvizu), and the cabin top/sides/inst. panel. I used the Ziggy trick on the cabin. The rest worked out fine. Still have to insert the windows. Not in screenie, but the trial run worked, so it seems like everything's working so far. YAY!

How do I save this set? And can I group these objects together and save them as one favorite object?

EDIT -- ugh. Muvizu doesn't want to save my progress with the windows in place. Stay tuned.
edited by HayManMarc on 13/03/2012
15/03/2012 18:38:17

massimo_bo
massimo_bo
Luscan wrote:
massimo_bo wrote:
Hi guys,

Hi massimo_bo. Unfortunately YouTube has turned off syndication on this video due to the background music which means we can't have it up on our website since we don't store any video on our servers. If it was up to me I'd have that on the website in a second because it's a really useful video but I'm afraid it's up to YouTube.

Thank you luscan, I hope to resolve soon this problem
16/03/2012 13:50:11

gimmick
gimmick
Hello Massimo,

Your tutorial is really useful, thank you very much ! An important point is the use of a good Sketchup to ASE converter: HSKP2UNR.rb that you use is really better than su2ase.rb
edited by gimmick on 16/03/2012
18/03/2012 10:15:47

HayManMarc
---
edited by HayManMarc on 18/03/2012
the topic is closed

Home ? Importing Assets ? (SOLVED)Problem with Sketchup-to-Muvizu importing.