Messages in this topic - RSS

Home ? Importing Assets ? Help! What's with the colours Barry?

the topic is closed
12/08/2012 11:05:27

DyllyMuvizu mogulExperimental user
Dylly
I've been a bit quiet of late, but I have been beavering away like a hedgehog on a new project...so what's with the change of colour in identical assets?

Is this an unreal problem and how do I get around it?

The idea was fairly simple...a tiled terrain system using 18' by 18' blocks (the largest size I could get to comfortably import into Muvizu).

As it's summer and I'm going boating and fishing I started with a river system. Canalised, as this does not involve wavy banks and the dreaded curves...

Now the blocks are made, the textures textured and tiled so that the blocks will simply fit together in any pattern I desire, except that they won't! Whenever I import into Muvizu each 'new' block imported is a slightly different shade to the previous one. If I copy and existing block it is an exact copy with regard to shading and tiles correctly, however should I wish to import a corner section (tiled using the same texture map) it comes in a shade lighter or darker.

Is this something I'm doing wrong or is it an unreal engine problem...and any ideas on how to get around it?

12/08/2012 16:06:56

ziggy72Muvizu mogulExperimental user
ziggy72
Nice water Dylly, like the wave shape. I have also had the exact same problem, but with just ground planes. The planes were all identical copies of one original (full size, with a 512x512 .jpg file on it) and for some reason, a couple of then were a different brightness regardless of what lighting was used or what the Illuminate was set to.

I tried the usual - copy and pase (nope), delete, recopy original, repaste (nope), reload set (nope), exit Muvizu, reload...nope. It was as if that set was determined, from that point on, to do that with any ground plane I created. Didn't try it with a backdrop instead - at the time was too busy, so just shot around it instead. Any ground planes created in other existing/new sets were fine. Forgot about it until I seen your post here.

Thing is, that was with the last stable version, not this one. I haven't seen it reoccur since, so you'd think the problem was gone, but apparently not...also, just checked, and I binned that set after I'd finished with it (it was just a night version of another set, which is fine).
14/08/2012 16:14:40

barrys
barrys
Looking into it right now...
14/08/2012 16:23:52

barrys
barrys
Dylly

I can't recreate this. Can you email the set file and all models and textures to bugs@muvizu.com please.

Barry
15/08/2012 00:30:53

DyllyMuvizu mogulExperimental user
Dylly
I think, think...mind you, but I think I have sorted out what's causing this...

I will email the set and props in when I get back home, but I think I know what the problem is.

It's a smoothing issue on the props. I set too and did a redesign of the props and simplified them a little, it was then that I noticed some weird triangulation in one corner of one of the models. I then built all new textures for the props including bump maps and reflections (I know Muvizu doesn't support this at the moment but its all good practise for when it does) and I then applied a smooth modifier in 3ds Max to the props. Now when I import the props they all have the same shade when using the same map, although at any point where the triangulation of the mesh get's a little 'complex' Muvizu is more sensitive to this than Max and this is where you get areas that will be darker at a specific point of the model.

I also noticed that when rendering out the ambient occlusion maps that 3ds Max decided that the top surface of any tile would have a shadow as you neared the edge of the plane. Muvizu doesn't like this so by deleting any ambient occlusion from the top surface of a map this will further aid seamless tiling of the props.

So far I've not had a chance to experiment with smoothing in SketchUp or any plugin's other than the UV plugin or the Quad Tools plugin that effect the surface of a model in SketchUp, so other than applying a smoothing modifier in 3Ds Max I cannot think of a direct SketchUp to Muvizu methodology.
the topic is closed

Home ? Importing Assets ? Help! What's with the colours Barry?