Messages in this topic - RSS

Home ? Importing Assets ? Only one colour on imported ase file

the topic is closed
15/01/2013 10:21:33

fman00
fman00
Help!
I'm finally taking the plunge and trying to use sketchup but I'm having problems importing the ase file with the proper number of colour fields in the models properties.
I've followed Glasgowjim's excellent tutorial and can import the ase file to Muvizu OK but then properties only shows one colour rather than the 10 or so that there should be. I imported the Mustang 3d asset from the Muvizu site as a test and that works as it should so it's not the build of Muvizu. I've been trying to import exactly the same Mustang model from sketchup that Glasgowjim used (again as a test) but can still only get the one colour field.
Sorry if this has been asked and answered before but I can't find a thread. Can anybody suggest what I'm doing wrong?
15/01/2013 16:10:58

gimmick
gimmick
Try in your SketchUp model to replace the 10 colors by 10 textures.
Normally, in Muvizu, the properties will show 10 white images
15/01/2013 17:16:19

urbanlamb
urbanlamb
(Account inactive)
this applies to sketchup as well but if there is only one colour then there is likely only one material unless its using an id texture. The mustang in the gallery is done in 3dmax I believe and its taking advantage of their id texture system which uses 1 material and has a system for reading uvmaping and colours on the texture. This is probably possible in sketchup with some expensive addon, but for the free version if you want 10 slots you need 10 materials. Sketchup from what I have gathered just from reading these forums seems to use 1 material per 1 picture so this is where that is coming from. If your referring to just the colour bands and there is no image slot then they person created an id texture.

The id texture is a muvizu thing and its also used in unreal engine to create an id texture in sketchup you would need to create a uvmap (a good one haha there are different methods for uvmapping). The easiest sketchup model to make is one that uses photomapping and has seperate photos on each material layer that way you can customize it inside muvizu.

Anyhow basically you see
1 colour band and no texture slots the person has created an id texture with 1 colour on it

IF you see a colour band and a texture slot the person did not use id textures and its importing whatever it can find inside the folder in this case a colour band represents a material layer

Anyhow I hope that helps its a bit of an explanation of how the system works with absolutely no experience inside sketchup from me but I have read the various questions that fly by and I have tried to use a few 3dwarehouse models and they are always extremely heavy on the materials like 20 bazzillion of them which indicates to me that those using the free version are using this method of 1 photo texture per material

one last bit of information - adding this after the way the modelling works it you apply a material and then on top of the materials it holds textures. You can put all the textures on one material which is what has happened in the sketchup model you imported the guy did a proper uv map by the sounds of it and layed out all the textures onto a photo properly and so that object has all the information on a single material. 3dwarehouse the models are tossed on there with different levels of expertise and done using different methods. It sounds like you got one from someone who has the pro version or whatever
edited by urbanlamb on 15/01/2013
15/01/2013 19:17:34

ziggy72Muvizu mogulExperimental user
ziggy72
...also, I find that if you don't explode the model down to it's basics, it doesn't seperate out the textures properly. Try selecting everything, explode it, explode it, etc, until you can't anymore, then try making the .ase file. Can't hurt
15/01/2013 19:43:36

fman00
fman00
Thanks for the replies folks.
Managed to finally get things working by using the exporter that Glasgowjim downloaded on his tutorial from "Wicked HQ" website rather than the muvizu ase exporter. I may have set up the muvizu exporter wrongly but thought I'd followed the instructions religiously (well I was on my knees praying it would blinking well work anyway).
Looking at the google warehouse now I feel a bit like a kid looking in the sweet shop window!
I know full well that I haven't got the skills to create much (if anything) in sketchup but there's so much there to import already that I think I can find most things I would want to use anyway.
15/01/2013 20:53:51

urbanlamb
urbanlamb
(Account inactive)
Just one final note not every model on that warehouse will work on muvizu or look good in muvizu but you can assemble some decent scenes if you have the patience to go through their stuff. In the end you will probably start to slowly learn to use sketchup as more then an import pipeline but one does need to start somewhere

In any event if your willing to learn and take the time anything is possible as long as your pc can handle it. The cool thing about using computer generated stuff is well the fact that there are very few limit beyond your imagination and your pc. Muvizu is amazingly versatile even without the requested features like hand held props.

One day I suspect they will create a commercial version (well this is my hope anyhow) with a price tag and license and system for adding more then just meshes which we can animate inside muvizu as objects.

Lets hope they also plan to upgrade their unreal engine as well

anyhow good hunting have fun shopping in the warehouse
16/01/2013 00:07:11

fman00
fman00
The nice thing about sketchup is that so many people have put in time and effort creating stuff just for the pleasure of it then made it freely available for everyone to use same as people do on Muvizu. Kind of gives you a warm fuzzy feeling.
I doubt I will ever work up any great aptitude with sketchup creations unfortunately but the warehouse does open up the possibilty of making vids that otherwise wouldn't be possible.
26/01/2013 18:05:35

fman00
fman00
I couldnt get the Muvizu importer to work but Glasgowjim's video instructions work perfectly.
1) Download the Wicked HQ ASE importer from
http://wickedhq.com/index.php/downloads/viewdownload/22-ut2004-tools/1128-google-sketchup-ase-t3d-psk-exporter-for-ut3-ut2k4-ut2k3-ut99-udk-hskp2unr-v1-0-3 .

2) Follow the steps from Glasgowjim's video "Importing from sketchup part 1" to install the plugin.

3) To export from sketchup, go to "plugins" then "HardPCM's Exporter For Unreal Tournament" then "Export" then "ASE format". When saving, remember to include .ase at the end of the file name.

4) Import model into Muvizu. The options I have been using are.... "Don't use ID textures", Map alpha to "Opacity mask" and Facing "Double Sided".
28/01/2013 14:14:16

fman00
fman00
Sorry it didn't work. I can't say much more I'm afraid as I don't know sketchup very well - I can only tell you what worked for me.
I can only suggest trying importing a different model in case the original model you are trying doesn't work well in Muvizu. I have just imported a caterham 7 and that does work ok (put car in sketchup search and it is the caterham on the first page). When I have imported the car into Muvizu and right click on the object in Muvizu it allowed me to adjust all the individual colours.
Good luck.
28/01/2013 15:42:45

fazz68
fazz68
(Account inactive)
MR-DARIUS wrote:
thanks for the advice but also faithfully following your instructions will not let me change the color of the object imported

which exporter are you using? there are two. one on the 3d assets page and the one fman00 has linked for you. i find the muvizu one will only let me export models with textures added and only if i have them textures on my computer, if i use just colours it comes out as one colour no matter how many colours i use. if you use the one fman00 has linked it should export the way you want it to. using a sketch-up model from the 3D warehouse can be a bit hit and miss when exporting. explode it till it cant be exploded any more. select the whole model and colour it one colour, then change the colours bit by bit till you get it how you want. then when you use the unreal exporter (not the muvizu one) you should have no problems. import into muvizu (7 colours or less) with the dont use id textures setting, anything over that wont fit on the drop down menu when it come to adding colours in muvizu (well for me that is) . over 7 colours import with use id textures. leave the other settings alone apart from the bottom one, use the double sided setting.
this works for me, hope this is of help
the topic is closed

Home ? Importing Assets ? Only one colour on imported ase file