Messages in this topic - RSS

Home ? Feedback ? Collisions, snap-to and undo.

the topic is closed
17/10/2013 00:32:04

primaveranz
primaveranz
I understand it is possible to reduce the effect of the collision physics on imported objects using ziggy's mesh but is there no way to switch off the behaviour in a built-in Muvizu object? It makes creating a complex set ridiculously difficult.

This is aggravated by the fact that an object's properties box does not close when you choose another object.

So if, for example, you create a copy of an object and click on it, it becomes highlighted with the red box around it, but the properties box which is visible with that object's name is for the original not the newly-created copy. (The properties box needs a double click to appear but a single click is enough to highlight an object) So changing the scale affects the "wrong" object, and due to the collision behaviour, if the rescaled object happens to bump into another and displace it, you often cannot undo the action (Ctrl-Z seems totally random in its efficacy) so you have to manually move the displaced object back into position.

Objects frequently become entangled with others and often (since Undo doesn't work) the only way I have found to fix this is to delete the object and start again.

I do like having the ability to resize objects but the fact that you can't snap e.g. wall sections together is a hinderance meaning you have to faff about trying to ensure there are no gaps between e.g. your wall sections as you move the camera around.

To summarize Muvizu staff, if they are not possible now (and I couldn't find any evidence through searching the site) then I suggest that the ability to switch off collisions, snap objects to others, have properties boxes that self-close on selection of another object and an improved undo functionality are all sorely needed.

Cheers.
17/10/2013 01:22:15

primaveranz
primaveranz
I have since discovered the "Lock" property which is a part solution, but still just another thing to have to remember to prevent an unwanted effect.
17/10/2013 08:05:13

ukBertyMuvizu mogulExperimental user
ukBerty
primaveranz - There is no way of turning off collision on internal Muvizu objects. This is one of the reasons I tend not to use them.
I'm afraid I have been asking for the ability to turn off collision within Muvizu for a couple of years now. I can only assume their silence on both the benefits of having collision and having the ability to turn it off means it is a restriction of the Unreal engine.

Turning off collision completely would remove 90% of the frustration when creating sets.

There was some discussion earlier this year about only having one properties dialog open at a time. Although there is a downside (if you are copying properties between objects you may wish to see both), I agree that this would also help. You click on edit and it brings up the dialog box. Click on a different object and the dialog box changes to the properties of the selected object. Simple.

I'm sure you have already worked these out, but here's my top three tips...

No.3 - Close all edit boxes before changing anything - that way you know which object you are editing.
No.2 - Save your set before you import an object you have never imported before.

and at No.1 Always move objects away from everything else before you change the scale of it.
Oh, and of course, import absolutely everything with ZiggyMesh
Hope this helps
17/10/2013 08:19:27

primaveranz
primaveranz
Thanks ukBerty,

Muvizu does seems to be a bit like juggling with cats while riding a unicycle on a tightrope made of knotted eels at times. But hey, I made good progress today -I learned how to open a door for one thing
I do wish you could compress and lengthen timeline events to make it easier to match timings with other events and I confess I find the prepare and direct process a bit of a rigmarole. But I'm hopeful I can achieve what I want to.

Cheers
edited by primaveranz on 17/10/2013
17/10/2013 09:30:25

Mike_Num_5
Mike_Num_5
primaveranz wrote:
like juggling with cats while riding a unicycle on a tightrope made of knotted eels

Now that's something I would pay to see! Big Grin

Britains Got Talent winner in the making! Haha
the topic is closed

Home ? Feedback ? Collisions, snap-to and undo.