Please log in or register, then complete your details to create a post.
22/02/2014 17:16:01

InsaneHamster
InsaneHamster
My latest short. About an elderly couple that stops for gas on the way to Disney Land.
Hope you enjoy it. I really need to get a new mic and work on better voice recording techniques. I am open for advice. thanks

edited by InsaneHamster on 22/02/2014
23/02/2014 00:07:23

ziggy72Muvizu mogulExperimental user
ziggy72
Matching the volume of your actors to equal the music is essential (yours are quieter). Re-recording the lines multiple times is also recommended, because you can then edit and mix the best takes to get the best result. Ambient noise is also important (so that you don't just drop to silence between lines) - freesound.org is a great place to get background sound for urban settings. Turning down the ambient light and using directional lights would add shadows and depth to your set too. Hope this helps
23/02/2014 00:29:06

urbanlamb
urbanlamb
(Account inactive)
oh yes what he said I didnt notice this thread

I hate dead air so I stuff wind or crickets or something in dead air spaces (whatever white noise that goes with the background) otherwise yeah normalize your voices and stuff but I hate giving advice anyhow
edited by urbanlamb on 23/02/2014
23/02/2014 00:46:01

InsaneHamster
InsaneHamster
Thanks for all the advice. One can't get better if one doesn't look to improve. I will definitely copy these down to use next time! Drink

Thanks again.
23/02/2014 20:48:58

EiderDuck
EiderDuck
What ziggy said, yeah.

Also, you might enjoy some of the tips on the Newbie Guide to Recording page (also Português, Español, Français, Deutsch) at Librivox. They get all kinds of people with all sorts of equipment, and try to work with everyone.

The Librivox tips for vocal character performances are excellent as well!
02/03/2014 15:32:32

InsaneHamster
InsaneHamster
So I took the advice given and here is the second take of the short WHAT? I think the sound is better and I added background noise. At least it sound better to me so please let me know if this has improved. The only thing I ddin't do because I totally forgot was add lighting to the scene.
Thanks for the help

02/03/2014 18:38:29

urbanlamb
urbanlamb
(Account inactive)
yeah the voices are way better it was almost impossible to hear before. Of course there is over modulation on one of them but sound is actualy very hard to get right and that voice was digitally altered which is hard to modulate :0

yeah its way better but yeah there is like no lighting and shadows give depth otherwise its pretty good. Myself and likely others we only use voices inside muvizu to time the dialogue and mouth movements correctly after that I tear out the dialogue (all of it) and then redo all the voice track in one so its properly normalized

I then create a "sound bed" of background sounds and make sure that volume is right and then add the extra affects and music last where it needs to be and even then I screw it up sometimes but I always create a basic sound bed and voice track first. My hearing gets aweful at times due to allergies unfortunately so i often over do or under do things just because my ears are ringing so badly lol.

I spend on a short video (15 minutes ) about 2 days just on sound collecting it and planning it and editing it and crud I love video editing rendering the animation parts in whatever software is something I dont like its just necessary lol but i could edit and do sound until the cows come home and enjoy every minute of it. I think the dislike for animation is because of all the technical issues one runs into that one has to solve

anyhow yeah this one is way better soundwise and it could have done with some lighting but you already said you knew you didnt pay attention to that so maybe next time!
02/03/2014 18:59:08

InsaneHamster
InsaneHamster
Thanks Urban I appreciate the feedback. I may go back and redo the lighting if nothing else for learning sake. Right now codecs are giving me a head ache. can't seem to find one that works properly or set it up properly. Xvid always pixelates and the others seem to skip. I have no clue. lol

I have Xvid, FFdshow lag and a couple of others any advice on settings? Or what setting does everyone else use?
02/03/2014 19:05:45

urbanlamb
urbanlamb
(Account inactive)
i use targa sequence or a codec that comes with my logitech package its an avi codec

for muvizu i just use the logitech codec I think ziggy is solely using targa sequence now
02/03/2014 19:10:52

InsaneHamster
InsaneHamster
So is targa already installed in Muvizu or do you have to download it? I would look but right now its rendering out a video. Also what advance settings do you or anyone use? Lots of questions i know lol.

this is my pc specs if that has anything to do with anything.
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1
Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 965 Processor (4 CPUs), ~3.4GHz
DirectX Version: DirectX 11 Card name: ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series
02/03/2014 20:22:53

ziggy72Muvizu mogulExperimental user
ziggy72
Targas a default option (instead of making a video, at the the Make Video stage).

The background noise of the traffic is actually slightly too loud, but it works okay because it adds to the joke (another reason she can't hear!). Sometimes it's worth making 2 or 3 versions of a scene with different sound level settings to see which works best. Further to your vid, I would try adding some cars passing by in the background of the garage (especially when the attendant is in shot). Try using the Depth of Field settings to make them defocussed, it'll add more depth and movement (and no one will be able to see that the wheels don't rotate )
02/03/2014 20:33:35

InsaneHamster
InsaneHamster
Thanks Ziggy I welcome the help! I will put all this advice to good use! Thanks again everyone
Please log in or register, then complete your details to create a post.

Home ? Your Videos ? WHAT?