Messages in this topic - RSS

Home ? Tech Help ? Set won't open

Please log in or register, then complete your details to create a post.
22/01/2017 10:51:16

rollasoc
rollasoc
Spent a couple hours yesterday animating a set.
Had issues with the TV not displaying any AVI I threw at it.

Added a few images of my own artwork to pictures on the wall.

Come to open the file today and it crashes with this error box.

Is there anyway to find out what filename it thinks is missing?

Other sets I've opened have been fine.

Kind regards

Rollasoc
22/01/2017 13:35:54

rollasoc
rollasoc
Having this with a new movie I started this morning too.

Luckily I have been saving it periodically with a new name. So version 5 fails to open. Version 4 opens ok. Only difference between the two files, is I moved some of the camera change points around and added a couple new camera changes.

In both cases, I did do a save after rendering the video out. Not sure if that has any bearing on the fault?
edited by rollasoc on 22/01/2017
22/01/2017 14:34:47

ukBertyMuvizu mogulExperimental user
ukBerty
rollasoc,

I've not had much of this recently (although I'm not on the latest version). Once it's in this state I'm afraid it's game over.

I generally only get issue with imported object that will import but won't load as part of a set, but that gives a slightly different error.

As you;ve already worked out "save early, save often" is the mantra.........
22/01/2017 15:51:39

PatMarrNCMuvizu mogul
PatMarrNC
if you send the set that won't open to support, sometimes they can determine what went wrong.
22/01/2017 17:00:41

rollasoc
rollasoc
Thanks. Cunning plan! I will dropbox it and share the directory with them.
22/01/2017 17:15:13

theotherguy
theotherguy
As a long-time video gamer I recognize that as a typical error message you get when your game has crashed. So, seeing how Muvizu is built on a game engine. . !

Generally, games crash when the video card is overwhelmed by instructions from the software, or there's a bug, either way there's no warning. It would be nice if you could tell when a threshold is being reached, that all your textures and shadows and movements are becoming too much for the system, i.e. filling up the video memory, but you can't.

My solution is to work in little chunks and always re-size textures to the smallest that they can be while still looking okay.

If you render off your animation as an .MP4 then virtually any device can play it
22/01/2017 19:12:16

MrDrWho13Muvizu mogulExperimental user
MrDrWho13
rollasoc wrote:
Thanks. Cunning plan! I will dropbox it and share the directory with them.

You can also email them support@digimania.com if you wanted to attach the file. (Rather than dropboxing)
edited by MrDrWho13 on 22/01/2017
27/01/2017 21:00:20

rollasoc
rollasoc
I've sent the offending set file to support. So awaiting their findings.

I can now replicate the issue using the downloaded set.

If I download the recording studio set, open it and then choose static lighting, then save the file (which doubles the file size). It will re-open fine.

If I then drop a character into the set and save it, the file won't reopen, plus the file size is back near the original size.

I will experiment over the weekend, what happens if don't choose static lighting.

I've set the original, saved with static lighting and saved with static lighting and character to a friend and his won't open the last file either.
28/01/2017 07:23:35

Jammer
Jammer
My two cents. I recently used that set and had the same issue, among others. After looking things up I decided a upgrade to a video card was in order. I had a onboard 124mb set up (silly me) and switched to a 2gb nVidia. Not one problem since...
29/01/2017 16:17:01

rollasoc
rollasoc
Could be the graphics card. I have a 4GB Radeon thing. Which I would have assumed should cope. Hopefully support will come back to me and possibly help me configure the laptop to cope with this.

I'm worried that if I save the file with static lighting it is almost 7MB. But if I add another object and resave it, the file size halfs. Which is the filesize without static lighting.

If I add the object and go through the static lighting option before saving, I can reopen it again. So to me it sound like static lighting is reverting to dynamic when I add a new object, but on loads thinks it is still static. I could well be wrong though.

At least I now have a way forward, just need to remember to reset the static lighting before each save. Not ideal but workable, for the three little scenes I need to finish the video.
29/01/2017 16:29:01

MrDrWho13Muvizu mogulExperimental user
MrDrWho13
rollasoc wrote:
Could be the graphics card. I have a 4GB Radeon thing. Which I would have assumed should cope. Hopefully support will come back to me and possibly help me configure the laptop to cope with this.

I'm worried that if I save the file with static lighting it is almost 7MB. But if I add another object and resave it, the file size halfs. Which is the filesize without static lighting.

If I add the object and go through the static lighting option before saving, I can reopen it again. So to me it sound like static lighting is reverting to dynamic when I add a new object, but on loads thinks it is still static. I could well be wrong though.

At least I now have a way forward, just need to remember to reset the static lighting before each save. Not ideal but workable, for the three little scenes I need to finish the video.

That sounds like a potential bug. Static lighting is a new feature.
30/01/2017 19:38:31

rollasoc
rollasoc
Support got back to me, they are investigating.
Please log in or register, then complete your details to create a post.

Home ? Tech Help ? Set won't open