Messages in this topic - RSS

Home ? Publishing Your Video ? Youtube and copyrighted music

the topic is closed
13/05/2011 08:23:40

toonaramaMuvizu mogulExperimental user
toonarama
Hello there
In the latest release video you have used copyrighted music (a brilliant choice by the way) but have also included a link to the ITUNES download.
It is still up on YOUTUBE so is this a valid method of using copyrighted music.
Does anybody know what the rules are?
Thanks
Mick
13/05/2011 11:21:20

jonbezMuvizu mogulExperimental user
jonbez
As far as I know youtube just automatically recognizes music or watever from its wav fingerprint and then take the appropriate action whether it be just adding a linking or showing copywrite info or in some cases removing the video.

Its a very clever system they have in place.
13/05/2011 12:54:40

toonarama
Thanks John
There loads I would like to use but i'll think I'll tread slowly and carefully!
13/05/2011 12:56:08

DreekoMuvizu mogulExperimental user
Dreeko
You could try changing the pitch of the music in audacity and YouTube may not recognise it as a copyrighted track.I didn't have any copyright issues on the latest tutorial I created which included a very well known song by Westlife. The only reason I could put this down to was the fact that I had atered the pitch.

Worth a try if your not too bothered about the change in key
Cheers
D
13/05/2011 13:03:55

toonarama
It's annoying really because I have already asked 3 songwriters from the late seventies - early eighties for permission to use one of their tracks and (unbelievably) they have all responded by saying "yes"
13/05/2011 13:51:08

DreekoMuvizu mogulExperimental user
Dreeko
toonarama wrote:
It's annoying really because I have already asked 3 songwriters from the late seventies - early eighties for permission to use one of their tracks and (unbelievably) they have all responded by saying "yes"

Who are these generous music superstars of yesteryear?
We all want a piece of them! Lol!
13/05/2011 14:52:43

freakmoomin
freakmoomin
toonarama wrote:

yep.....im interested aswell!

70's = musics greatest decade
13/05/2011 18:37:33

mystoMuvizu mogulExperimental user
mysto
In my experience with Youtube it seems to be "hit and miss". Some songs get flagged for copyright issues and some don't.

I never thought of altering the pitch of music. Thanks for the tip Dreeko!

70's = musics greatest decade! i agree
15/05/2011 06:19:49

bigwallyMuvizu mogulExperimental user
bigwally
I've had to dispute music with YouTube as well. My "Batdork" cartoon uses "Flight of the Valkyries" recorded on an old Edison recorder and dates back to the 1920's. I had to dispute it when they disabled the audio. It's back the way it was.

Funny, though, I had a live action video short where I used "Back In the U.S.S.R." by the Beatles. It is now accompanied with an Amazon advert for the same song by some little known, soundalike (?) band called "Beat-Less".

Seems the best solution is to dispute any claim against your using copyrighted materials. It gets restored and it will take them years to process all these disputes, due to a high volume of them.
15/05/2011 20:09:06

glasgowjim
glasgowjim
On a slightly different note, the estates of Marty Feldman and John Law (i.e. their lawyers) have taken down ALL of the Class Sketches on YouTube, including the one that I made using Muvizu.

I am in the process of appealing this for many reasons:

1. The copyright may belong to the BBC as they were BBC employees at the time (I have submitted an FOI request to get clarification)
2. The BBC only removes sporting events from YouTube - they consider other clips (as long as they are of decent quality) to be a form of free advertising
3. The clip was made 55 years ago and the copyright of broadcasts only lasts for 50 years after initial creation in the UK
4. It was a bloody tribute - I made sure that I credited the BBC, Frost Report, the actors and the writers (Feldman and Law) - the lawyers are being overzealous to say the least - they even removed a clip of a school play involving the sketch!
5. There is no way to buy this sketch or any other site to view it on, as far as I can tell, so it's not like people watching a tribute is depriving the families of income!
6. I hate lawyers milking corpses.
15/05/2011 21:42:50

mysto
glasgowjim wrote:
On a slightly different note, the estates of Marty Feldman and John Law (i.e. their lawyers) have taken down ALL of the Class Sketches on YouTube, including the one that I made using Muvizu.

1. The copyright may belong to the BBC as they were BBC employees at the time (I have submitted an FOI request to get clarification)
2. The BBC only removes sporting events from YouTube - they consider other clips (as long as they are of decent quality) to be a form of free advertising
3. The clip was made 55 years ago and the copyright of broadcasts only lasts for 50 years after initial creation in the UK
4. It was a bloody tribute - I made sure that I credited the BBC, Frost Report, the actors and the writers (Feldman and Law) - the lawyers are being overzealous to say the least - they even removed a clip of a school play involving the sketch!
5. There is no way to buy this sketch or any other site to view it on, as far as I can tell, so it's not like people watching a tribute is depriving the families of income!

AMEN! i agree
16/05/2011 10:12:44

freakmoomin
freakmoomin
glasgowjim wrote:

Calm doon jim!
16/05/2011 13:16:58

Luscan
Luscan
Lawyers Milking Corpses is gonna be the name of my next death metal band.
16/05/2011 20:14:42

ziggy72Muvizu mogulExperimental user
ziggy72
This all reminds me of a joke :

What do you call a thousand lawyers at the bottom of the sea?

A Start.
16/05/2011 22:11:21

mysto
ziggy72 wrote:
This all reminds me of a joke :

What do you call a thousand lawyers at the bottom of the sea?

A Start.

ROFLMAO
the topic is closed

Home ? Publishing Your Video ? Youtube and copyrighted music