Messages in this topic - RSS

Home ? Tech Help ? Muvizu and mice

the topic is closed
05/06/2011 19:14:46

Dimension_five
Dimension_five
Hi All,
I'm new to three dimensional animation having come from the photography Photoshop direction. I've updated and upgraded most items that my motherboard will accept to meet just about the minimum requirements for running Muvizu. I had a thought today, what about my mouse, that's an old Microsoft 1000! The gaming community do use weird and wonderfull extras and special mice are available for high-speed games. Does anyone have any practical knowledge or advice about using one of these 'high end' mice with Muvizu, or does it really make any difference.
Almost there.
Regards
John
05/06/2011 22:53:27

penman
penman
nice to meet you Dimension_five welcome aboard
06/06/2011 00:31:38

ziggy72Muvizu mogulExperimental user
ziggy72
From my own experience, a good mouse can make a difference - having extra buttons is especially useful for calling up those windows you need all the time (like the timeline), or using a hat controller to move around with. A left hand controller is also very useful - I use the Saitek Cyborg Mouse and the Saitek Command Unit to fly around in Muvizu - I couldn't do it without them! Seriously, I couldn't, I'm so used to them that I don't even know what most of the keys are, being assigned to the Saiteks as they are. Saves time, at the very least.

Hope that helps
06/06/2011 07:08:48

Dimension_five
Dimension_five
Hi Both,
Thanks for the welcome and the mouse advice. I'll have a look locally and see what mice they have in stock, to get an idea of their sizes. Don't want a small 'fiddly one' though.
Thanks for the interest.
Regards
John
06/06/2011 10:15:37

barrys
barrys
Hi

Before spending a fortune it's worth noting that the minimum you need is a bog-standard 3-button mouse with a scroll wheel. That's what the Muvizu Team uses. We're too cheap to buy anything fancier.

Barry
06/06/2011 11:08:37

Marco_D
Marco_D
Hi Dim,

Welcome to Muvizu

I would also avoid top gaming mouses, that claim having a faster response to your "clicks".
A few milliseconds won't make a difference, since we "still" don't have head-shots in Muvizu

Cheers,
Marco
06/06/2011 11:43:38

NeilExperimental userMuvizu staff
Neil
barrys wrote:
Before spending a fortune it's worth noting that the minimum you need is a bog-standard 3-button mouse with a scroll wheel. That's what the Muvizu Team uses. We're too cheap to buy anything fancier.

Speak for yourself, I'm using my old Logitech MX518 that I've brought in from home 'cos those cheap 3-button mice suck. :p

But to back Barry up, it doesn't really offer anything new or exciting as a Muvizu user, I simply use it because it's more comfortable for me. I've always been a gamer and I find the high-resolution gaming features of gaming mice to have no benefit except in very fast action first-person shooters.

Btw, if anyone's interested, I use a Naga mouse and N52TE at home. Definitely recommended for gaming, especially MMOs.
06/06/2011 11:50:03

Luscan
Luscan
I picked up the mouse I use at home for £14.99. Came with a keyboard and both are wireless. A piece of advice if you're thinking of buying a wireless keyboard/mouse would be to not bother. They chew through battery very quickly and, even though there's less cabling to get in the way, there can be a fairly noticeable amount of lag between the movement of your hand and the movement of the pointer.

That being said this probably won't be an issue in Muvizu since it's not realllllly about quick movement.

And now, because I can, I'm going to put in a picture of a mouse with 19 buttons on it.

edit - aaaaargh! Neil!
edited by Luscan on 06/06/2011
06/06/2011 12:51:43

Neil
Luscan wrote:
aaaaargh! Neil!

Ha ha! I can post dead quick me, I've got a gaming mouse.
06/06/2011 17:04:10

Dimension_five
Dimension_five
Hi All,
Thanks again everyone for the ideas and suggestions. I'll possibly go for a new four button wired mouse that's comfortable to use. I presume that the extra buttons can be set up for keyboard shotrcuts.
All good fun.
Regards

John
06/06/2011 17:33:42

mystoMuvizu mogulExperimental user
mysto
Luscan wrote:
I picked up the mouse I use at home for £14.99. Came with a keyboard and both are wireless. A piece of advice if you're thinking of buying a wireless keyboard/mouse would be to not bother. They chew through battery very quickly and, even though there's less cabling to get in the way, there can be a fairly noticeable amount of lag between the movement of your hand and the movement of the pointer.

That being said this probably won't be an issue in Muvizu since it's not realllllly about quick movement.

And now, because I can, I'm going to put in a picture of a mouse with 19 buttons on it.

edit - aaaaargh! Neil!
edited by Luscan on 06/06/2011

Isn't that what they use to fly the new Airbus? Wow, it would take me a few months just to figure out where the hell all the buttons were on it. My "old school" 3 button mouse works great for me at the moment. Toast
07/06/2011 10:03:46

Luscan
Luscan
mysto wrote:

Isn't that what they use to fly the new Airbus? Wow, it would take me a few months just to figure out where the hell all the buttons were on it. My "old school" 3 button mouse works great for me at the moment. Toast

The mouse I showed a picture of is a hardcore gamer mouse. You bind a command to a thumb button and push button to get the action. Good for weapon switching on the fly in shooters and playing World of Warcraft as a Druid (I'm sure Neil can confirm this... Never actually asked him if he plays a druid but he does look a bit... 'druidy'.) Stick Out Tongue
07/06/2011 10:34:20

Neil
Luscan wrote:
The mouse I showed a picture of is a hardcore gamer mouse. You bind a command to a thumb button and push button to get the action. Good for weapon switching on the fly in shooters and playing World of Warcraft as a Druid (I'm sure Neil can confirm this... Never actually asked him if he plays a druid but he does look a bit... 'druidy'.) Stick Out Tongue

Hahahahaha! Oh god, here we go. Now everyone will see exactly how nerdy I am.

I played a feral druid in WoW for about 3 years, but now I mostly multibox 5 paladins with a friend who plays a paladin and 5 shaman.
wtf
edited by Neil on 07/06/2011
07/06/2011 10:47:57

JamieMuvizu staff
Jamie
(Account inactive)
barrys wrote:
Hi

Barry

My mouse has 5 buttons and a scroll wheel. I guess you got the short straw Barry? I use a basic 3 button mouse with scroll wheel at home though.
edited by Jamie on 07/06/2011

--
Direct, don't animate!
07/06/2011 11:37:56

DreekoMuvizu mogulExperimental user
Dreeko
Neil wrote:
I played a feral druid in WoW for about 3 years, but now I mostly multibox 5 paladins with a friend who plays a paladin and 5 shaman.
wtf
edited by Neil on 07/06/2011

I do hope there were no costumes involved

07/06/2011 12:21:39

Neil
No comment.
10/06/2011 14:38:30

mcmillan-raExperimental userMuvizu staff
mcmillan-ra
Neil wrote:
No comment.