Messages in this topic - RSS

Home ? General Discussion ? Storytelling

Please log in or register, then complete your details to create a post.
12/03/2013 14:51:37

KerryK
KerryK
(Account inactive)
Hi guys,
Saw this great piece today - Pixar's 22 rules of storytelling. I think it's universally acknowledged that Pixar are the world leaders in storytelling (seriously, who didn't cry in the first 10mins of Up? It broke my heart - and that's mostly made of concrete and bits of old cars).

Since the hardest part of doing anything cool in film, radio, or Muvizu is the STORY I thought I'd share this link with you guys. It's a very interesting and useful read.

Enjoy!

http://aerogrammestudio.com/2013/03/07/pixars-22-rules-of-storytelling/
12/03/2013 15:43:28

DreekoMuvizu mogulExperimental user
Dreeko
And here it is in image form!

https://twitter.com/dreeko1301/status/224786340909285378/photo/1
edited by Dreeko on 12/03/2013
12/03/2013 16:10:47

KerryK
KerryK
(Account inactive)
OOOOOHHHH!!! Hipster Dreeko liked it before it was rubbish (Last summer)

12/03/2013 17:07:45

DreekoMuvizu mogulExperimental user
Dreeko
KerryK wrote:
OOOOOHHHH!!! Hipster Dreeko liked it before it was rubbish (Last summer)

rock on
14/12/2013 10:17:28

mivylagut
mivylagut
Telling a true story for us to know.
30/05/2014 07:03:29

Jaxton
Jaxton
The person/people who made this are very good at Muvizu, I'm jealous https://vidd.me/j2F
edited by Jaxton on 30/05/2014
30/06/2014 21:04:05

ziggy72Muvizu mogulExperimental user
ziggy72
Spam Alert!
01/07/2014 18:25:13

muvizu_chapMuvizu staff
muvizu_chap
Ta Cool
22/09/2014 10:15:40

Patricia234
Patricia234
KerryK wrote:
Hi guys,
Saw this great piece today - Pixar's 22 rules of storytelling. I think it's universally acknowledged that Pixar are the world leaders in storytelling (seriously, who didn't cry in the first 10mins of Up? It broke my heart - and that's mostly made of concrete and bits of old cars).

Since the hardest part of doing anything cool in film, radio, or Muvizu is the STORY I thought I'd share this link with you guys. It's a very interesting and useful read.

Enjoy!

http://aerogrammestudio.com/2013/03/07/pixars-22-rules-of-storytelling/

Agreed. According to me, in all of cinematic history, if there were any perfect first ten minutes of a movie, it has to be Up. It truly tugs on your heartstrings and is so touching - storytelling at its best, undoubtedly. Ellie and Carl seem real persons and not just characters. The wonderful way the story is depicted even though it is in animation makes us feel so close to the characters; it's almost as if we knew them from a long while. I read this in one of the online reviews of 'Up':

"It is a perfect ten minutes. Not only does it
give us an almost totally visual story about how our main character became the man he is, something television wants to do in 60+ hours, but it also hints and foreshadows things that happen later in the movie in only a way Edgar Wright could fully deconstruct. All in all, there is no scene that brings such an impact, especially to males between the ages of 20-35, emotionally and physically to those who care to watch. And the most amazing thing about it? That's only the first ten minutes of Up."

A close second to Pixar when it comes to storytelling is Dreamworks. Take for instance, its recently released How to Train Your Dragon 2. The 9th rule on Pixar's 22 Rules of Storytelling List, which states - When you're stuck, make a list of what WOULDN'T happen next - reminded me of this movie which I recently watched. Hiccup's father Stoick dies near the end of the movie when you least expected him to; that too, at the hands of Toothless who is tricked into attacking him.I found that moment also heartbreaking since things were just starting to get back to normal for Stoick and his wife and they were almost united into one big happy family again with Hiccup in tow.

Thanks to Pixar and Dreamworks, we have some masterpieces in the world of 3D films today.
edited by Patricia234 on 22/09/2014
21/04/2017 17:45:29

AllClass
AllClass
Great read and very helpful.
A simplified story embryo/breakdown was provided by Dan Harmon, creator of 'Community' and 'Rick and Morty'.
Its broad but applied to most stories...

1. The Reader is in a comfort zone
2. ...but they want something
3. they enter an unfamiliar situation
4. They adapt to it
5. They get what they want
6. Pay a heavy price for it
7. then return to their familiar situation
8. Having changed
13/04/2021 15:30:12

BobbyCampbell95
BobbyCampbell95
That is an interesting post. Thanks for this.
Please log in or register, then complete your details to create a post.

Home ? General Discussion ? Storytelling