Messages in this topic - RSS

Home ? Your Videos ? Superman Episode 4 is done

the topic is closed
15/04/2013 23:21:27

urbanlamb
urbanlamb
(Account inactive)
This is a shorter one because its an ending. I am actually not sure if I will continue with half hour episodes as the internet is filled with people with short attention spans .. at the same time I enjoy doing it that way even though I can fill up my hard drive with footage.

Anyhow if anyone has any opinion on 15 minute vs 30 minute let me know.. I enjoy 30 minute stuff myself but then a lot of people dont have time for that.. and then on the other hand some of these episodes end in horrible places so this was my motivation for creating 30 minute episodes because they ended in a better place
15/04/2013 23:59:54

fazz68
fazz68
(Account inactive)
i prefer the 30min episodes, a 15 min is over before the story really gets going. but i think you right people generally have short attention spans for our type of animation. i find if im making something i get quite impatient with myself and want to get it published when it gets around the 15min mark, especially if im using the same sets over and over. the urge to make something new (sets, characters or whatever) is to much for me to ignore Big Grin and im easily distracted by new projects and usually start a new one before ive finished what ive already started.
16/04/2013 00:32:21

urbanlamb
urbanlamb
(Account inactive)
hehe thanks fazz yeah myself i am like you and always have 20 million ideas but I sort of tell myself not to do that and give myself a lecture about focus and finish. Its very hard not to rush near the end I think everyone has this issue. I tend to walk away if I find myself wanting to do that until that feeling goes away. I will probably end up sticking to the 30 minute format for most of it unless the story says otherwise like when this yellow mask dude appeared hehe.

As you can see from my dancing and singling fluffballs and all the other stuff I make my brain is exploding with ideas I just made a conscious decision to stick to this superman series for a good while and its becoming a bit more shall we say repetitive as I have worked out a lot of issues so the time I spend problem solving is going down.

I do want to make a good year or two of this superman stuff (i'm not well I think hehe) because I enjoy the recordings and superman was actually a canadian invention and metropolis was actually toronto and the daily planet building was the southem press newpaper building (well it was called something else at the time) so its got a sort of signifance to me although I think most people look at superman as an american he wasn't

"eh"
16/04/2013 09:00:26

toonaramaMuvizu mogulExperimental user
toonarama
Urbanlamb
I think you are absolutely right about short attention spans these days; younger people don't seem to get past 3/4 minutes. I am sure many are "scared off" as soon as they see the length of the video. Have you tried looking at your "attention" stats on youtube - they may give you an idea. Even the fall off on short clips is marked.

I can see why you make the 30 min episodes as they match the narrative better and you do not want people to lose the thread.

How about making shorter 10 or 15 minute episodes but releasing them all together so you keep the integrity of the episode but present it in smaller bites?

Anyroad - another great animation - fantastic work.

Toonarama
16/04/2013 10:18:27

DreekoMuvizu mogulExperimental user
Dreeko
urbanlamb wrote:
I think most people look at superman as an american he wasn't

That's right. He was Kryptonian
16/04/2013 10:47:25

NeilExperimental userMuvizu staff
Neil
toonarama wrote:
I think you are absolutely right about short attention spans these days

TL: DR

(Just kidding)
16/04/2013 18:12:02

urbanlamb
urbanlamb
(Account inactive)
I fully admit to being a supreme nerd :P

for anyone who is curious of demographics well the majority of youtube users (the platform for showing your creations) are between 13-17 and their average attention span is 5 minutes. ^^

My videos actually hold watches attention for a decent amount of time but I refuse to bend to the teen demographic just to conform seeing as I have never been much for doing what everyone else does.. anyhow I will think on the 15 minute vs 30 minutes again.

Dreeko wrote:
urbanlamb wrote:
I think most people look at superman as an american he wasn't

That's right. He was Kryptonian

I always found it ironic that superman is the model american yet the template to create him was basically canadian. I guess the artists chose what they knew. It quickly morphed and you have to go back to the origin of the first comic created to find this info. Anyhow expect to see a glimps of the CN tower in my metropolis one day I just have to get round to rebuilding one of the two sets I use for this :/
edited by urbanlamb on 16/04/2013
16/04/2013 20:01:16

ziggy72Muvizu mogulExperimental user
ziggy72
Regards duration, I think that the story sets it's own time limit really. If you were to cut the Superman episodes down into, say, 10 minute chunks, it would be too fragmented because it wasn't written that way. And you've have to re-explain where you were up to in the plot before each part, which would occupy even more time...

Let your projects find their own length, I would advocate (to everyone), and don't worry about the opinions of those who lack the attention span to formulate an intelligent opinion in the first place. If people like what you're doing, they'll watch it all - regardless of duration. If they don't, then leave them to their 2 minute vids of cats in hats or whatever moronic trend is happening at the moment, you don't need them
16/04/2013 20:15:13

urbanlamb
urbanlamb
(Account inactive)
yes ziggy I would never go beyond the original splits even though I find some of them unnatural as I would have to remove the narrator and do my own and that would change the entire feel of the thing so that is definately not gonna happen. What I have been doing (the series was written in about 12-15 minute bits) is to combine two of them and cut the narrator from the beginning of the second half to have the stories end in a better place but the series was originally created to last 12 minutes and aired that way and was a kids program. I pushed it to become a bit of a more adult program length
16/04/2013 20:15:36

MrDrWho13Muvizu mogulExperimental user
MrDrWho13
ziggy72 wrote:
If they don't, then leave them to their 2 minute vids of cats in hats or whatever moronic trend is happening at the moment, you don't need them

16/04/2013 20:19:37

urbanlamb
urbanlamb
(Account inactive)
16/04/2013 20:22:04

MrDrWho13Muvizu mogulExperimental user
MrDrWho13
lol
16/04/2013 21:54:02

ziggy72Muvizu mogulExperimental user
ziggy72
Okay, yes, Llamas with Hats was funny (especially the boat one) so I take back what I said about animals wearing hats Big Grin
the topic is closed

Home ? Your Videos ? Superman Episode 4 is done