Messages in this topic - RSS

Home ? Your Videos ? Merry Christmas to my friends and family!

Please log in or register, then complete your details to create a post.
21/12/2015 05:14:55

PatMarrNCMuvizu mogul
PatMarrNC

This is actually scene 1 of a longer project... but Christmas is sneaking up fast, so I'm just going to post what I have. Comments and reviews welcome. I know there are nits, some of which didn't show up in the MUVIZU environment, but did in the Adobe Premiere environment... and by that time, I was unwilling to revisit the project.

Some concerns I have are as follows:
1) can you understand the obnoxious elf? Or do I need to slow the processing down a little?

2) A key part of scene is Rudolph's frustration with having to type with hooves. I actually made hooves that attached like gloves, but I elected not to use them because the built-in clearance for characters hand and arm movements is close enough to the body that it continually looked like the hooves were passing through his body. I found that to be more unacceptable than my final approach of shrugging my shoulders in defeat and using the title to let my audience know they havbe to play along with the gag.

But what are your thoughts? If I were SELLING it, it would be unacceptable... but its an informal Christmas card

3) there's a moment just after the camera enters the building when you can see a flaw in the surface of rudolph's head. That didn't show up in MUVIZU... any ideas what may have caused it?
21/12/2015 17:44:57

ziggy72Muvizu mogulExperimental user
ziggy72
1) Processed voices are always harder to discern, but you can help the clarity by rebalancing the EQ levels in whatever you used to change the voices. And yes, slowing it down is usually better.

2) Nah, he needs hooves Clipping hooves is better than none at all - when I can't get round a clipping problem, I move the camera...

3) Attachments are limited to being single sided, but that's the inside of the model you're seeing (being transparent) - to see the inside, it'd have to be double sided. To get around that you'd have to make sure your model is 'closed' with no inner surfaces visible before you import it into Muvizu.
21/12/2015 18:21:27

PatMarrNCMuvizu mogul
PatMarrNC
thanks Ziggy.. good information there.

I'll give the hooves another try and slow down the elf's voice a couple of notches.

============ UPDATE =========
Now includes hooves

edited by PatMarrNC on 22/12/2015
22/12/2015 20:24:02

PatMarrNCMuvizu mogul
PatMarrNC
FWIW, here's the logic behind this video.

1) It's intended to be a series, so it has to be simple enough to allow new episodes in a timely manner, without getting too bogged down in details

2) Part of the plan is to encapsulate a joke or two into each episode, as part of introducing the characters. The jokes in this 1st episode include:
____the parking lot, with a sleigh parked among the cars.
____the more obvious stupid elf joke, used mainly to introduce the infectious elf laughter
____the surprise "end"-ing (pun intended)

3) story development at this point reveals Santas workshop to be a typical dysfunctional organization, with all the usual personality types. Since interaction between different personalities is one of the main sources of humor in sitcoms, it is important to develop characters that are simple enough to understand, yet complicated enough to throw us a curve occasionally.

The elf characters are identified as immature bullies, stuck in a middle school mind frame of pre-pubescent humor and abusive power play relationships

The reindeer characters are introduced as dependable, value-adding employees who want to do a good job, but are frustrated by a system that does not play to their strengths.

Other characters will be introduced in subsequent episodes, and the first episode for each character will seek to establish that character's personality traits so the audience understands why the various characters interact as they do.

4) The ongoing theme will be to create cognitive dissonance between the idealized fairy tale legend of an altruistic Santa Claus who loves the children and brings them gifts out of the goodness of his heart, and the modern idea of Santa as capitalist corporate entity who is in it for the money, has no problem with taking advantage of his employees. This Santa has PR people on staff to spin everything into a global perception that St. Nick really is jolly and not an @$$hole.

5) the idea is not new... but then, there are only about 10 different plots around which all stories are told. The trick is to tell the old story in a new way that either resonates with the lives people are living today, or in a way that is so different that it helps them escape from the lives they are living

6) A key question to ask is "what's the point? Why would I take the time to create this series?"

In my case, the answer to that question is that I'm a working musician who needs a way to draw people to his web site. There are so many musicians competing for so few gigs... and most of them are doing all the same things to attract attention... I'm hoping that the popularity of humorous animations will be something that my target demographic will find interesting enough to visit my site every week to see what's new and where I'm performing. My band will make guest appearances in the episodes.

Anyway, I said all that in order to make the point that there is a plan. And there is a point to the plan. As the series develops, I'll post it here, and I strongly encourage your comments and criticisms to help me learn more quickly. Be brutal. I'm not looking for ego massage, I'm looking for constructive criticism.
22/12/2015 21:54:23

urbanlamb
urbanlamb
(Account inactive)
I dont tend to do much critiquing I just like to cheerlead LOL, but I will lurk and read the thread.

I am like this because personally critiquing does very little for my progress I tend to do my own thing but then I am a hard core introvert and its the extroverts that want critique. I have always been that way in work and in school it would baffle teachers and then I would just saunter in and do my exams or submit my stuff and produce an A. I always got criticized because "you dont ask any question" it seems that asking questions is an in thing for many teachers.

MY response would be "i dont have any to ask" and to which they would say "well then your gonna fail" but I never did LOL.

So I just cheerlead because of my own personal habits and besides its more fun Big Grin
edited by urbanlamb on 22/12/2015
22/12/2015 22:35:20

PatMarrNCMuvizu mogul
PatMarrNC
urbanlamb wrote:
I dont tend to do much critiquing I just like to cheerlead LOL, but I will lurk and read the thread.

I'm more the cheerleader type too.

I am like this because personally critiquing does very little for my progress I tend to do my own thing but then I am a hard core introvert and its the extroverts that want critique.

I'm pretty much a hard-core introvert too. Myers Briggs type INTP. I ask for critique not because I don't have an idea of what I want, but because I seem to lack the ability to see how it comes across to others. Content providers who see themselves as artists tend to let their art stand on its own merit, whether people like it or not, they don't care. What's important is the expression of the art.

I see myself as an entertainer, not as an artist. As such, the MAIN thing I'm interested in is whether or not my audience is entertained. And since I seem to lack the gene that allows most people to guess correctly and adapt on the fly, I have to ask for input.

I have always been that way in work and in school it would baffle teachers and then I would just saunter in and do my exams or submit my stuff and produce an A. I always got criticized because "you dont ask any question" it seems that asking questions is an in thing for many teachers.

MY response would be "i dont have any to ask" and to which they would say "well then your gonna fail" but I never did LOL.

that sounds exactly like my dear departed wife... she was very smart and talented but quiet and did not seek attention. She was an enigma to her teachers

So I just cheerlead because of my own personal habits and besides its more fun Big Grin
edited by urbanlamb on 22/12/2015

Cheerleading counts as input! Its the equivalent of applause at a gig... it helps the band to know if they are connecting with the audience
Please log in or register, then complete your details to create a post.

Home ? Your Videos ? Merry Christmas to my friends and family!