Messages in this topic - RSS

Home ? Competitions, Events & News ? Make Me Laugh ( Comedy Competition)

pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Please log in or register, then complete your details to create a post.
14/07/2016 16:53:17

PatMarrNCMuvizu mogul
PatMarrNC
works for me

especially since it's been so long that I've posted a video thru my Muvizu account that I'll have re-learn how to do it. At my age, that could delay the conclusion of the contest by WEEKS
14/07/2016 17:13:25

eugenecheese
eugenecheese
I've Just Made mine Public. Is That OK?
14/07/2016 18:55:19

clayster2012Muvizu mogul
clayster2012
Ok everyone the time has come to post the winners, now before we begin, I'm going to explain how the judges made their decision on the winners, they first used a 5 star rating to narrowed it down to three videos, then out of those three videos they made a votefor the 1st, 2nd and 3rd place winners, I didn't do the deciding, I just watch and laughed..lol! so lets start off by show the other entries that didn't make it to the winning positions, and I want everyone to give them a hand for their creativity and determination to do their best.

the first video is by Rocque, she did an excellent on her video and I think it was well worth the time she spent doing, keep up the good work and never give up my friend!

she titles it A peaceful day at the park.

The second Video is by Ziggy72, now he did really fantastic work on this entry and I loved how he put it all together, but my judges said the entry was a little late and the votes have already been made, me I didn't care about that, but it was their decision, all i can say is ziggy, you did make me laugh...well done my friend, well done!

He Titled it Twilight's Last Gleamings

Now for the winners of the Make me Laugh comedy competition...............................Drum roll please!

for 3rd Place!

eugenecheese for his version of Eugene Cheese: Monster Mash, He did an excellent job on singing this his self, and the judges counted that for most of it, good job Buddy you won the Fantasy Pack, congratulations

For 2nd Place!

Patt Marr for his 50 Shades of stray, we all loved how you put this together, we couldn't stop Laughing, we loved the song, and we all loved your voice, I would of mistaken you as one of my kin if you called me on the phone using that voice...lol! anyways Patt you won the desert Pack, congratulations

Now for the moment we all been waiting for!

For 1st place

Ikes for his Finding Money Video, we loved it, we waited to see the outcome on this, but it threw us off when it didn't happen for the guy, we laughed, it was well put together, the story was really good, it was funny we loved it, good job you won the west town pack,congratulations

Thats it everyone it was really fun and I'm sure we all had a great time, thanks competing and lets do this again next year!

to all of the winters as soon as i get everyone email address ill send you the links to your wiinings!
edited by clayster2012 on 14/07/2016
edited by clayster2012 on 14/07/2016
14/07/2016 19:25:21

eugenecheese
eugenecheese
Thank You ! I too, enjoyed the other entries ! Well Done !
14/07/2016 19:46:47

ziggy72Muvizu mogulExperimental user
ziggy72
Rocque, nice job on getting it together - you learn a lot when you have a deadline... I learned tons of stuff about Hitfilm doing mine, I know that for certain.

Eugenecheese - cheesy as ever, congrats!

PattMarrNC - I liked that, using the screen to partly tell the story is well done here. And the guy covered in cats - LOL!

Ikes - The old jokes still work So cleanly done, a deserving winner Applause

And Clayster - thanks for holding this.
edited by ziggy72 on 14/07/2016
14/07/2016 19:47:19

PatMarrNCMuvizu mogul
PatMarrNC
let's do this again next year

Let's not wait that long!

Thanks to...
...MrDrWho13 for starting the idea of a competition...
...Clayster, for taking the idea and running with it...
...Clayster again for creating such awesome prizes! (thanks!)
...everyone who participated in it
...Muvizu, for creating the software that made it all possible

In individual follow-up posts I'll comment on each of the videos... but here I want to say that I really enjoyed all of them! They all brought a smile to my face, and each of them reveals differing creative strengths in the project's author/director!

Great job everybody, I am very impressed by the display of talent here, and I am inspired by the various techniques used in these videos!
14/07/2016 20:10:34

MrDrWho13Muvizu mogulExperimental user
MrDrWho13
Excellent work, everyone!

Rocque: I can see you've learned a massive amount. Especially with that editing and the special effects!

Ziggy: Great work as always.

eugenecheese: I love the heads in the jars and the perfectly framed shots.

Pat: You've come a long way with Muvizu and it really shows! I like the slowly panning camera, and the song's pretty good too.

Ikes: Now that's a classic comedy! A simple plot with a hilarious twist at the end. Brilliant!

Thanks to Clayster being the first to run a small community competition with such great prizes. (You even made small touches like images of trophies with names on them). I'm sure everyone had some fun making these videos and hope to see more stuff like this in the future!
edited by MrDrWho13 on 14/07/2016
14/07/2016 20:22:43

PatMarrNCMuvizu mogul
PatMarrNC
Rocque, here are my thoughts on your video:

I just loved the way you whole-heartedly experimented with a variety of techniques! Whereas in a different kind of project the author would probably have been fixated on making all the balloons look the same, with same shape and font etc, you tried a BUNCH of different approaches and in the process I'm sure you learned a lot. In fact, right now it's safe to say that you know a LOT more about using thought bubbles than I do!

Likewise, I enjoyed the fact that you experimented with a variety of transitions too.

Good use of ambient noise (birds in the park) and mood music.

I thought it was an interesting stylized choice to make the male character's dialog happen via dialog bubble. The fact that his mouth moves shows that you took time to insert details that you replaced later in order to achieve a special effect. To me, the absence of a real voice made the scene somewhat surreal, and emphasized that we were watching the female character's thoughts more than we were watching a real world scenario. In fact, it made the guy seem more annoying, and that appears to have been your intent

Interesting use of the greytone when she first launched into remembering mode

I really like the floating smoke background at 1:41 and 2:09 ... is that in HitFilm, or did you get it elsewhere?

I like the use of a thought bubble as a mask at 1:43

I interpreted the lightning to be an indicator of anxiety and/or danger

I interpret the green monster to be a flashback to another time when the character actually said what was on her mind and it had an adverse effect on the situation

In that light, I thought your title was a bit tongue-in-cheek, because what was going on inside the female character's head was anything but peaceful

I like the background that starts at 1:49

at 2:13 when the 2nd female character enters the story, I interpreted her to be the first character's alter-ego... the perky, beautiful, health conscious, outgoing, confident person she really is, but which was overshadowed up until that point in the story by her annoyance with the male character

"I better run..." caught me totally off-guard, and that's where you scored my laughter! I interpret that to mean that Alpha Kristie is about to be suppressed by Omega Kristy again... which, if any of my interpretation is true, strikes me as a very clever way to portray the crazy stuff that goes on inside our heads.

So.... how'd I do? Did I get ANY of it right? Or have I been like the archeologist who imagined every detail about an ancient civilization based on one shard of pottery he discovered in the jungle?

One thing I'm pretty sure is right: this was a good experience for you, and you learned a lot! Now I look forward to seeing more!
14/07/2016 20:47:26

clayster2012Muvizu mogul
clayster2012
i agree
14/07/2016 20:48:56

clayster2012Muvizu mogul
clayster2012
Ok winners I just sent you your prizes, check your emails and messages!

let me know if everything goes well
if not then message me
14/07/2016 20:59:34

ikesMuvizu mogul
ikes
wow! I just got home and see that I won the contest Many thanks! I don't know what to say... It's allways difficult to hold competitions in the creative realm, because everybody has his own tastes. But competitions like this can give you just the push to go on and finnish it, where you otherwise sometimes loose the interest and put it aside. I do hope we get more competitions here and hopefully lots of participants.

Great job everybody that participated!

Ikes
14/07/2016 21:21:39

PatMarrNCMuvizu mogul
PatMarrNC
Here are my thoughts on ZIGGY's entry:

You must have disqualified yourself from winning, because this was by FAR the best of the 5 (judged solely on my own sensibilities). I thought it was a totally pro presentation from start to finish... full of all those subtle details and use of techniques that make all of your videos sooooo good!

One second into the video, and I love your splash screen. Pro. You already da man at 00:01 on the timeline...

Loved the Burroughs set and use of Sinister as character. Your sense of lighting is very appropriate to the types of videos you make

Some of the details have already been discussed on the forum, and that could dilute the impact when watching.. but I want to point out all over again just how cool the sheet draped over the patient's body is. There is a tendency to watch videos and just take everything for granted... but at the production level somebody has to envision every detail and figure out a way to actualize it, and then do it in a way that is technically proficient. Those are just a few of your strengths. Well done!

Am I correct in believing that at 1:44 marker, the ziggy arms are wielding the scalpel? The positioning is a bit too perfect for a built-in action ... Likewise when he puts the cigarette in his mouth at 1:38

Loved the boiler room scene and the ship model in general

The smoke by the loudspeaker at 34:00... is that from Muvizu or Hitfilm? It looked great.. it added movement and texture to a scene that otherwise would have been static and less interesting

I liked the sea-sky environment at 00:42 ... that water texture is about as seamless over that large area as an I've ever seen in a Muvizu project!!

I take it the splattered blood at 1:44 is HitFilm? Very cool! What I'm seeing is that hitFilm is very good at providing all sorts of things that are not otherwise possible in Muvizu, and it reinforces my belief that the creative toolbox needs to have a variety of tools to provide solutions that will never be available in one piece of software. Your closing credits indicate that you feel the same way.

I like the way the scene is framed at 1:47

When the ship is sinking, I guess you tilted the camera to make the operating room look sloped?

I really liked the animated colors behind the closing credits, and I'd like to know where it came from. I'm finding that HitFilm makes it very easy to generate backgrounds like that by taking just about any video that contains movement and then stacking a variety of effects on the clip, ending with a pretty steep blur.

All of your sets are top-notch. You are very good at taking an existing story and turning it into a visual smorgasbord. Based on what I've seen of your work so far, your key strength is visual awareness. You naturally know what LOOKS interesting to the eye and captivating to the imagination. You have built on that awareness by acquiring software skills that allow you to self-actualize the images you intuitively know will work. I predict that as your familiarity with HitFilm grows, you will be exploiting its strengths to make your images even better than they have been up until now, hard as it may be to imagine that you could possibly get better than you are already.

Two enthusiastic thumbs up, in conjunction with a standing ovation!
14/07/2016 21:29:09

PatMarrNCMuvizu mogul
PatMarrNC
clayster2012 wrote:

if not then message me

I'd like to surrender my prize to Rocque in appreciation for her diligence and willingness to take risks in this contest!

But don't worry, I'll get all 3 sets in the store. I don't mind supporting the arts. ;-)

(I'll forward the DL link to her)
14/07/2016 21:51:57

ziggy72Muvizu mogulExperimental user
ziggy72
PatMarrNC wrote:
Here are my thoughts on ZIGGY's entry : You must have disqualified yourself from winning,

Yeah

PatMarrNC wrote:
Am I correct in believing that at 1:44 marker, the ziggy arms are wielding the scalpel? The positioning is a bit too perfect for a built-in action ... Likewise when he puts the cigarette in his mouth at 1:38

Yes again.

PatMarrNC wrote:
The smoke by the loudspeaker at 34:00... is that from Muvizu or Hitfilm? It looked great.. it added movement and texture to a scene that otherwise would have been static and less interesting

Standard Muvizu fire effect with some light tweaking in HF. Also, I think you mean 00:34...

PatMarrNC wrote:
I take it the splattered blood at 1:44 is HitFilm? Very cool!

Yup - anything really cool looking is HF

PatMarrNC wrote:
When the ship is sinking, I guess you tilted the camera to make the operating room look sloped?

Yeah, Muvizu characters don't like working on sloped floors or anything, so you have to suggest stuff like that with the camera.

PatMarrNC wrote:
I really liked the animated colors behind the closing credits, and I'd like to know where it came from.

It's the standard lightning effect from HF, but I upped the number of branches, added a motion blur, then messed around with the colour and glow values. Discovered that setting it to 50 branches is only for those with a HAL 9000 computer and a month spare to wait for it to render...

Thanks for your kind appraisal Pat, and what a gentleman giving up your prize like that! Thumbs Up
edited by ziggy72 on 14/07/2016
14/07/2016 21:54:00

PatMarrNCMuvizu mogul
PatMarrNC
Here's my review of Eugene Cheese's entry "MONSTER MASH"

First of all, what a great program for the task! I can't think of any other animation package that would come to mind if somebody said "I want you to animate the song MONSTER MASH

Clayster says you sang the song... true? If so, that was awesome! Great reproduction of the original voice!. Did you use a backing track to sing along with? If so, may I ask where you got it?

I liked the green glow in the laboratory

HA! At 00:44 the background singer skeleton chicks made me laugh because they were wearing bikini tops to support boobs that were long gone. Nice touch. Man, you ain't right to have thought that up! LOL!

The next time I laughed is when the heads in the jars started singing backup vocals. You should definitely seek help. LOL! The stuff that you think up is just nuts!

All of your characters are cool, but I especially liked frankenstien's monster and Dracula. I kept expecting wolfman to get on the Milennium falcon. ;-)

All in all, a great visual portrayal of a classic... but not so classic that it's public domain:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Bobby_Pickett_-_Monster_Mash.ogg

Congratulations on making a very entertaining and well-done video!! Lots of good stuff going on there!
14/07/2016 21:55:27

MrDrWho13Muvizu mogulExperimental user
MrDrWho13
Wow Ziggy I never noticed the difference between the prop arm and real arm. Seamless! Well done!
14/07/2016 22:02:37

clayster2012Muvizu mogul
clayster2012
PatMarrNC wrote:
clayster2012 wrote:

if not then message me

I'd like to surrender my prize to Rocque in appreciation for her diligence and willingness to take risks in this contest!

But don't worry, I'll get all 3 sets in the store. I don't mind supporting the arts. ;-)

(I'll forward the DL link to her)

Your a good man Patt, thanks, because she really deserves it, Hey Rocque your going to be in my Finger Pistols Video, yep we'r
going to make some people smile together!
14/07/2016 22:09:05

clayster2012Muvizu mogul
clayster2012
Hey Rocque remember my flipbook I made on finger pistol the next issue will have all of the voice acters name in it, if you want to look at it again hers a link http://online.flipbuilder.com/rzjo/bmog/
14/07/2016 22:37:29

PatMarrNCMuvizu mogul
PatMarrNC
My review of IKES' video:

First of all, thanks for all of the cool threads you've started on the forum in the last month or two! You are clearly one of those people who has the ability to delve into technology and figure out things, and I'm so glad we have a person with that discovery mindset on the forum! And I'm extra glad that you aren't selfish with the knowledge you acquire... many people keep knowledge to themselves as a strategic ace, but you've shown yourself to be a team player. I respect that.

Regarding the story, I think it is an absolutely brilliant premise, an interesting study in human behaviour, and a totally unexpected ending! I was very impressed to watch it unfold! I must ask: is this your own story, or is it based on one that was professionally written? I ask because its just so well developed! From the moment hes sees the money, it's so easy to identify with all of his choices

Your sets are very good... as Ziggy has said in the past, you didn't just build a SET, you built a PLACE, and it totally works as a busy city street occupied by random people and shops. Did you build the sets or are they from the user assets? I don't recognize the coffee shop as being a store asset,so I'm guessing you made it.. and it looks great!

You threw me a curve within the first few seconds by focusing on a character, then having him turn down a side street as the main character enters the scene unexpectedly from around the corner. Stuff like that really makes a video interesting to watch. Set the audiences expectation, then change it abruptly. Very good.

Oftentimes the set of programmed actions isn't close enough to what we want in order to create believable character responses and actions... but I thought that ALL of the behaviours of your character were amazingly believable. Good job on taking the time to search and discover just the right ones! We sometimes complain about the lack of actions, but when you're looking through all of them to find one in particular, it serves as a reminder that Muvizu does have a large set of actions from which to choose.

The car pulling up to the intersection at 1:02... is that a 2d graphic on a backdrop? It looks too realistic to be a model

When the waitress takes the main character's order, I don't know if you planned it this way or not, but I interpreted the low volume of the exchange to be "just enough" to imply what was happening, without drawing the viewer's attention away from the story by suggesting that the dialog had significance (Its the only dialog in the video, and normally dialog in an otherwise silent script WOULD be significant)

The wait in the cafe heightens the interest in the story... you did a great job of framing everything to keep us wondering what will happen next. I also like the way the car (and, by association, the money under it) takes on a 3rd person presence as the man watches it.

Again, I don't know if it was planned or if it just worked out that way... but at the 2:02 marker when the woman comes out of the building , she looks down, creating the question in the viewer's mind "did she see it?" If it was intended, great suspense building device!

What action did you use to make the car owner get his keys out of his pocket?

I laughed when the main character's final expletive was bleeped out! The timing in this was extraordinary... not one scene was too long or too short. Your sense of "enough-ness" is very good.

Final analysis is that especially if this is a totally original story and an equally original animation, then you are a born story teller! My hat is off to you, and you really have something to be proud of in this story! Congratulations!
14/07/2016 22:45:18

PatMarrNCMuvizu mogul
PatMarrNC
There are enough of us using Hitfilm (and learning it at the same time) that we should probably start a thread to share things we've discovered... like how to create the color effect behind Ziggy's closing credits. It's so powerful, but the sheer abundance of options is a bit daunting, so shared discoveries might be useful to us all
pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Please log in or register, then complete your details to create a post.

Home ? Competitions, Events & News ? Make Me Laugh ( Comedy Competition)