Messages in this topic - RSS

Home ? Tips & Tricks ? How I make a toon style Army Tank

Please log in or register, then complete your details to create a post.
27/11/2016 03:29:52

clayster2012Muvizu mogul
clayster2012
here's another tutorial with milkshape on how I made this cartoon style army Tank!

Part 1

Part 2

27/11/2016 12:55:33

mindiflyth
mindiflyth
Wow, Clayster! Another impressive piece of work. I've been too lazy/intimidated to try Milkshape, but you do get such good results with it that I may be inspired to give it a go.
27/11/2016 16:22:34

clayster2012Muvizu mogul
clayster2012
Thanks minidiflyth, I been using milkshape for a few years now, at first I was kind of sceptical about it's performance and the final results of project, but when I tried the 30 day trail I was impressed with the final results of the models I made, so I bought the license and been using it every since, i do have 3D studio max from years back when I was in ITT Tech but I never updated it, I just find that milkshape dose what I need it to do and it's easier and quicker, the learning curve of milkshape dose have a catch on quick result, once you learn the features and functions you will be on your way! the tank I made should be in the store tomorrow for free, it will have links to this tutorial in the description.
27/11/2016 19:41:07

Farscaper
Farscaper
Based on his site, it looks like Milkshape is ancient abandonware. It just goes to show that good ideas last even when they are no longer financially viable to maintain or upgrade. Finding the right tool in my unopened toolbox is what vexes or voxelises me.
27/11/2016 19:50:29

clayster2012Muvizu mogul
clayster2012
Farscaper wrote:
Based on his site, it looks like Milkshape is ancient abandonware. It just goes to show that good ideas last even when they are no longer financially viable to maintain or upgrade. Finding the right tool in my unopened toolbox is what vexes or voxelises me.

No it's still supported, I had sent an email to the creator months ago asking if he was dropping milkshape due to rumors,He replied a week later after I had emailed that no he hasn't quit milkshape, it's just that he is so busy with college and work he hasn't time to do anymore updates, but he also told that he is planning to work more on milkshape when he gets the time, but then that was months ago,I'll email him again to see what's going On!
edited by clayster2012 on 27/11/2016
27/11/2016 20:28:13

PatMarrNCMuvizu mogul
PatMarrNC
I had a similar email discussion with the developer of SILO, because it is rumored to be a dead product too. He assures me it is alive and well, but being developed at a much slower pace.

When 3D gaming was fairly new, a lot of small modelling apps had loyal followings, but over time competing apps rose above the pool of small contenders, and the little players started falling by the wayside.

In a few cases, the original developer keeps it alive as a labor of love, but the development takes longer without a full team. These small players are of special interest to us, because their programs are still quite good, and they are still supported.. but the price tags are low, and they were originally created for low poly modelling targeted at game engines... exactly what we need!

MilkShape. Silo and Curvy3D all seem to fall under the same umbrella: easy to learn and inexpensive modelling products that are still being supported by the original programmer, but developed at a slower pace.

People get spoiled by the rapid development cycle of the big players, so you see a lot of complaining on the forums of the 3 apps I named above... but one upshot to slow development is the fact that old tutorials are still relevant. In contrast, 3D-Coat changes so quickly they won't even make a manual, because by the time it was finished it would be outdated.

I like Silo because there is an abundance of good tutorials for it, and they are still applicable to the current version.

----------------------------------------------
edited by PatMarrNC on 27/11/2016
27/11/2016 20:36:22

PatMarrNCMuvizu mogul
PatMarrNC
By the way.. I almost forgot to say: NICE TANK! And nice tutorial too! The best tutorials are those made using software I have for use in other software I have!

It's hard to put a value on that! But if you could, it would be high!
27/11/2016 21:28:19

clayster2012Muvizu mogul
clayster2012
Thanks pat, glad you like the tank.
27/11/2016 22:49:08

Farscaper
Farscaper
clayster2012 wrote:
No it's still supported, I had sent an email to the creator months ago asking if he was dropping milkshape due to rumors,He replied a week later after I had emailed that no he hasn't quit milkshape, it's just that he is so busy with college and work he hasn't time to do anymore updates, but he also told that he is planning to work more on milkshape when he gets the time, but then that was months ago,I'll email him again to see what's going On!

He must have been a child genius then, or else he's been in college for a decade. I want to buy the program but the site has been so devoid of life for at least five years that I think I'll hold off and perhaps just try learning the dozen other modeling programs I have yet to open. Ha.
28/11/2016 00:10:03

RodrisilvaMuvizu mogulExperimental user
Rodrisilva
Hi Clayster

Very Nice Tank !
I never used Milkshape that's why I've to ask you a thing.
In this tank edges are sharp. Is it possible to use any smooth faces/edges function in milkshape ?
28/11/2016 04:12:33

clayster2012Muvizu mogul
clayster2012
Yes you can use smooth surface,i just never used it the tutorial,was trying to make everything as simple as possible for beginners, but yes you can apply smooth surface, well actually it's smooth edges.
edited by clayster2012 on 28/11/2016
28/11/2016 04:16:18

clayster2012Muvizu mogul
clayster2012
Farscaper wrote:
clayster2012 wrote:

He must have been a child genius then, or else he's been in college for a decade. I want to buy the program but the site has been so devoid of life for at least five years that I think I'll hold off and perhaps just try learning the dozen other modeling programs I have yet to open. Ha.

Not really sure how long he's been working on it, just going buy what he told me, but I did ask him how long has he been working on it in the new email I sent him, yes because I been wondering that myself.
edited by clayster2012 on 28/11/2016
Please log in or register, then complete your details to create a post.

Home ? Tips & Tricks ? How I make a toon style Army Tank