Messages in this topic - RSS

Home ? Tech Help ? Failed to load object from file

pages: 1 2 3 4 5 | Please log in or register, then complete your details to create a post.
20/12/2015 19:22:39

MarkWaldo
MarkWaldo
PatMarrNC wrote:
Add my name to the list of people whose projects are stalled by this error.

I don't know if it's significant, but the last thing I did before the problem started was this:
I wanted to delete one of my characters actions, but I went brain dead and instead of "right-click > delete" I pressed the keyboard's delete button, which effectively deleted ALL that character's actions .. and the character too. Seems like maybe something more benign could be programmed to happen when the delete key is pressed.... like maybe a dialog box that says "CURSE YOUR VERY EXISTENCE? (Y/N)"

When I saw what had happened, I closed Muvizu without saving, hoping that when I opened it back up, my last saved copy would have all my characters and 99% of my work intact. Instead, the project failed to load at all.

Previous messages in the thread indicate that the promised delivery of the fix was sometime last week. So I guess asking for more dates is kind of pointless. The fix will come when it's ready whether I pester or not.

In spite of stuff like this.... I just LOVE this software!!
20/12/2015 19:29:15

MarkWaldo
MarkWaldo
PatMarrNC wrote:
Add my name to the list of people whose projects are stalled by this error.

I don't know if it's significant, but the last thing I did before the problem started was this:
I wanted to delete one of my characters actions, but I went brain dead and instead of "right-click > delete" I pressed the keyboard's delete button, which effectively deleted ALL that character's actions .. and the character too. Seems like maybe something more benign could be programmed to happen when the delete key is pressed.... like maybe a dialog box that says "CURSE YOUR VERY EXISTENCE? (Y/N)"

When I saw what had happened, I closed Muvizu without saving, hoping that when I opened it back up, my last saved copy would have all my characters and 99% of my work intact. Instead, the project failed to load at all.

Previous messages in the thread indicate that the promised delivery of the fix was sometime last week. So I guess asking for more dates is kind of pointless. The fix will come when it's ready whether I pester or not.

In spite of stuff like this.... I just LOVE this software!!

My being a computer systems analyst for over 40 years and having used Muvizu for 2 years, I have asked the support team to warn people when they press the delete key to say "Are you sure you want to delete this character?" But they have not. It is a very common mistake to hit the familiar <Delete Key> when wanting to delete something on the timeline instead of right clicking the <delete> that is provided on the timeline.
20/12/2015 19:43:00

MarkWaldo
MarkWaldo
winini33 wrote:

On my other scenes, I remembered that the files are damaged after add of the heads movements.
As a previous version of Muvizu has a problem with the movements of the head, I wanted to look in that direction.

Did you purchase the key frames option? If so, did you use it in your video? I have not had problems after head movement but have had the problem after using keyframes.
21/12/2015 05:42:07

ukBertyMuvizu mogulExperimental user
ukBerty
MarkWaldo wrote:
My being a computer systems analyst for over 40 years and having used Muvizu for 2 years, I have asked the support team to warn people when they press the delete key to say "Are you sure you want to delete this character?" But they have not. It is a very common mistake to hit the familiar <Delete Key> when wanting to delete something on the timeline instead of right clicking the <delete> that is provided on the timeline.

Rather controversially can I request that this is not done please as more clicking just slows animation down.

The few times you do make a mistake you just use the undelete key (Cntl-Z).
21/12/2015 05:54:30

PatMarrNCMuvizu mogul
PatMarrNC
For whatever it's worth.. armed with the information presented in this thread, I went back and recreated the project that wouldn't open, and got all the way through with no problems... presumably because I didn't make any timeline edits of head movements. If I wasn't satisfied, I just recorded over it rather than dragging it... recording over head moves didn't cause any problem

I do have the keyframe pack, and there is keyframing in the project, and lots of head moves and eye moves. The only thing I did different was to steadfastly avoid dragging head and eyes moves around on the timeline.

=============== UPDATE ===============

I take it back. Today when I tried to reopen the project after making head moves, I got the dreaded "Failed to load object from file" error again.

So (at least in my case) making no timeline edits did not save the day. In retrospect, I guess the only reason I was able to finish my project is because I added the head moves and then created the video without closing and then reopening the project file.
edited by PatMarrNC on 21/12/2015
26/12/2015 19:46:53

tjd1000
tjd1000
I am having this same problem. I hope it can be fixed soon, I was looking forward to editing on this boring day.
27/12/2015 14:37:47

zadecat
zadecat
as far as i am concerned, the QC stinks, the support is almost as bad, no one seems to able to isolate the problem. so i work and i save often, so when problem occurs i don't have to go to far back. it's like the automatic backup procedures of the 1960's. anyhow i'm not prepared to change my version until i get assurances that the latest version is reliable...
27/12/2015 15:46:25

PatMarrNCMuvizu mogul
PatMarrNC
zadecat wrote:
as far as i am concerned, the QC stinks, the support is almost as bad, no one seems to able to isolate the problem. so i work and i save often, so when problem occurs i don't have to go to far back. it's like the automatic backup procedures of the 1960's. anyhow i'm not prepared to change my version until i get assurances that the latest version is reliable...

Regarding QC and support: I'd have to disagree. This isn't a huge corporation with deep pockets (like Microsoft). Small companies need to be lean in order to survive, especially when the flagship product only costs $29 USD, and most of their customers are probably using the free version. I think the level of support for a company this size is outstanding!

Small companies also tend to have a handful of "key people" who drive the technology and solve the problems. Unless they're paid well, they tend to get discouraged and quit when the work load gets overwhelming. Since it is in the users' best interest for the product to remain active, heaping stress on the key people is counter productive. Tracking down and fixing software problems (especially in code that originated with another programmer) can be time consuming.

related trivia: when Microsoft was rising to the top, their strategy for defeating competitors was to simply hire the competitor's "key person", after which the company usually went belly up.
27/12/2015 19:23:37

MarkWaldo
MarkWaldo
Concerning technical support, I agree that this is a small company with few people talented enough to solve problems. The one thing I find fault with Support is very simple. They don't respond to this forum showing their status in solving the problems and sometimes not even mentioning there are problems unless you contact them individually. For the past 2 years I have noticed almost no comments from support acknowledging they are working on anything. And if they do make a comment, it is very cryptic with few, if any, details. To make an assumption by us users that they may not even know where the problem is, is going beyond your knowledge to even make that statement. You don't know where they are at in the solving of issues. The one thing I want from the support team that is very simple to do is to state to this forum continuous updates to where they are at in solving the issues. It is not enough just to respond to those who put in a request for support and get a support ticket. For the majority of us to just sit here fiddling our thumbs not knowing even if support is working on the problem becomes very, very frustrating. Communication is the key here. Please, Support, keep us informed and not in the dark. To say that Muvizu+ costs only $29, I paid a lot more for it when it wasn't on sale. The cost of the program is not an issue. The number of customers using Muvizu is the issue. With all of us hanging around wondering when an update is going to come out and not knowing the status of the solution of the problem is not doing Support nor us any good. Too much frustration can cause many to leave Muvizu behind and look for other ways of expressing our ideas. I, for one, intend to stick with Muvizu in thick or thin. I just want Support to keep in current communication with the rest of us. That's all.
27/12/2015 21:50:44

zadecat
zadecat
gentlemen, i'm very happy with the product. the $29 was a bargain. it's the frustration i feel when we are provided with inaccurate information. i was told in the version i'm working with (15.11.17 01R) had corrected the problem. but that is not true. in reading the other posts i have seen other versions that were supposedly running okay. misinformation is not good customer support. better to use the generic "it's under review" or "we're working on it", than inaccurate information. i love the product. i'll work around the bugs. i build my animations in segments then put them together in a video editor. i save the work i'm doing every 5 minutes or so...
28/12/2015 05:55:28

winini33
winini33
I had a small project to finish before Christmas, and because of this bug, I wanted to stop everything and throw this software.
But once I located this, I completed my project without any destruction of files.

I have checked, and I confirm what I said earlier:

This bug is located precisely around the time-line on the "head movements".
A file without "head movements" for characters has no problem.
If you adds some "head movements" without touching the time-line, you can save the file, it will be good.
If you slightly adjust the position of "head movements" on the timeline, the saved file is dead, will no longer open.
If you remove the line "movement of the head" in time-line, and if you save the file, it remains healthy.

I have communicated this information to the support, and they assure me.
"An update is planned before the end of the year."

MarkWaldo wrote:
Did you purchase the key frames option? If so, did you use it in your video? I have not had problems after head movement but have had the problem after using keyframes.

No, I do not have the Key frame option, and it is possible that it does not improve things, as key frame can change the time (but this must be check).

Although this forum remains for users, The support answer every time. What is unfortunate is that this information is not reported at the time downloading the software. And new users may be surprised or disappointed.
28/12/2015 08:10:54

ritsmer
ritsmer
winini33 wrote:

Couple of weeks ago support wrote: We've had several reports of the "Failed to load object from file" error and we have a fix for this. We expect to release an update to Muvizu in the next week.

Since Muvizu is such a brilliant piece of software and becoming more and more used for serious work where you make real time planning etc. it is impossible that we have got absolutely NO official info from the (great) Muvizu team.
Here we have been downloading the "latest" Muvizu Play+ each and every day for over a week now just to find that it is still the version with the error.

It is also most surprising that the software offered for download is still the version with this serious error so that it is only a question of time before new and expectant users bang their foreheads against this wall.

I agree with PatMarrNC that a small organization can not have a QC like M$ - but here in 2015/16 some valid communication is a keyword in keeping up good customer relations.

And I do not consider communication like "Next week" given over a longer period of time as adequate.

But, obviously there is some hope - today Support wrote: It's been about a week since we last heard from you, so I'm going to mark this ticket as solved.
edited by ritsmer on 28/12/2015
28/12/2015 16:00:31

PatMarrNCMuvizu mogul
PatMarrNC
the scenario of promises that come and go without being kept usually comes from one of 4 things:

1) managers try to put heat on the employee by not accepting the real time estimate, and making a public promise that results will come sooner than the programmer told them. Apparently the thinking is that the salaried programmer will work longer hours for no additional pay in order to preserve his/her reputation. I hope this isn't the case, because that's a good way to run your employees off.

2) The problem turned out to be more complicated than they thought. This is usually the case. Especially in software development, changing one thing frequently affects other things, so it becomes a time-consuming process of change-test... change-test until no more new errors are generated. But the users always find new problems that the beta testers didn't catch.

3) the programmers are evil, and they delight in making people wait even though they've had the problem fixed for weeks. ( I hope nobody thinks this is the case)

Bottom line, this is a case where support can't possibly offer a guaranteed date, and pushing for answers only leads to reason #4:

4) programmer is being pushed by managers and customers, and tells people what they want to hear so they stop distracting him/her from trying to actually solve the problem.;

The answer to the question is self-evident: if there isn't a new version available, it ain't fixed yet. And nobody working on the problem knows when all the related issues will be identified and corrected, so pushing for a concrete date is an exercise in futility and frustration... not only for users but also for MUVIZU.

--------------------------------------------------------
standard disclaimers: this is only my opinion, not universal truth. Your mileage may vary. There are probably other scenarios that lead to false promise dates. My opinion does not presume that other posters are wrong. I highly value the intellect and good intentions of all forum members and fully understand that what they report is true
28/12/2015 16:31:10

wdeprospo
wdeprospo
I've been in the software business for 48 years. You hit it right on the head. Everyone wants
options, functions today. As do I. Muvizu, take your time and fix it. I understand schedules, features and release dates. There never seems to be enough time to do it, but there is always time to redo it.
Take your time. Be a turtle, not a hare.
28/12/2015 16:31:53

MrDrWho13Muvizu mogulExperimental user
MrDrWho13
wdeprospo wrote:
I've been in the software business for 48 years. You hit it right on the head. Everyone wants
options, functions today. As do I. Muvizu, take your time and fix it. I understand schedules, features and release dates. There never seems to be enough time to do it, but there is always time to redo it.
Take your time. Be a turtle, not a hare.

What He Said
28/12/2015 17:06:28

MarkWaldo
MarkWaldo
winini33 wrote:
I had a small project to finish before Christmas, and because of this bug, I wanted to stop everything and throw this software.
But once I located this, I completed my project without any destruction of files.

I have checked, and I confirm what I said earlier:

This bug is located precisely around the time-line on the "head movements".
A file without "head movements" for characters has no problem.
If you adds some "head movements" without touching the time-line, you can save the file, it will be good.
If you slightly adjust the position of "head movements" on the timeline, the saved file is dead, will no longer open.
If you remove the line "movement of the head" in time-line, and if you save the file, it remains healthy.

MarkWaldo wrote:

No, I do not have the Key frame option, and it is possible that it does not improve things, as key frame can change the time (but this must be check).

Although this forum remains for users, The support answer every time. What is unfortunate is that this information is not reported at the time downloading the software. And new users may be surprised or disappointed.

Sorry. I was totally wrong. After careful review, I found the problem happened after I put in head movement and was not a result of using keyframes. On every set where I used head movement, the set would no longer load. My workaround is to either not use head movement or to save the set to a different file before making any head movements and then add head movements and then render before closing the set, knowing that once I get out of that set, that set will no longer be retrievable. I, of course, look at the finished product before closing that set in case any adjustments needed to be made and then re-render. Once I am satisfied, I close the set that has the head movements. I still have the pre-head movement file in case I need it again.
28/12/2015 17:18:28

PatMarrNCMuvizu mogul
PatMarrNC
I find that there are always lots of project-related tasks on my "to-do" list. I've been using this lull time by working on aspects of my project that don't require head moves. I can add them later in a few minutes.

Character and set design is another good way to use the time between point A and point B
29/12/2015 16:15:04

ritsmer
ritsmer
The head-movements are not the full explanation, however.
In a "lull-time" project that I made - thinking that I would not switch off my PC or close the Muvizu set until after the resulting video was made - I have had several head movements, which -after the directing- even have been moved extensively, deleted and redone etc on the time-line in order to adjust to the speech synchronization.
Just for fun I have saved the set a couple of times and tried to reopen it in a parallel Muvizu instance expecting it to give the Load Error -
but no!! it just works as it should.

When I talk about an official statement I mean something like: Guys - we have found an error that shows up so and so - therefore: please do not do this and that in Muvizu..

Also being a former software company owner myself - I dare say that after an error of such a magnitude has been known for weeks - then it should be well established what the problem is and how and when it will be solved - alternatively "We ain't got a clue and the key programmer is on a 4-week honeymoon" ...

Just letting the customers hang for weeks without anything but deep silence spiced with some rumors about "next week" - then "the week after" - is - in my humble opinion - perhaps not quite the right way to deal with such serious issues.

I will now put the Muvizu projects aside and start another quite interesting project - this one with human actors buying time-and-space twisting apps to their mobile phones, and where only some unfortunate skiing holidays may disturb our timetables :- ))
So I'll be back somewhere near the end of March - and all the time until then I will look forward to restart working with Muvizu - which really is an astonishing piece of software adding incredible creative possibilities to my future film making.
edited by ritsmer on 29/12/2015
10/01/2016 20:00:37

gellofish
gellofish
This bug is driving me crazy and I am giving up on Muvizu until they fix it. So many hours lost ... this program is far to buggy to be productive
10/01/2016 20:21:43

MrDrWho13Muvizu mogulExperimental user
MrDrWho13
gellofish wrote:
This bug is driving me crazy and I am giving up on Muvizu until they fix it. So many hours lost ... this program is far to buggy to be productive

If you find the problems in the latest version are too severe, you might want to use the September release: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-_4UVPr59ACVV9EZWZCMzdQSlk
This version won't be able to open any sets made in newer versions, and doesn't have keyframing, but it doesn't have any problems with sets being lost like this.
pages: 1 2 3 4 5 | Please log in or register, then complete your details to create a post.

Home ? Tech Help ? Failed to load object from file