Messages in this topic - RSS

Home ? Feedback ? bleeding edge beta and things that made me go hmmn

pages: 1 2 3 4 5 | the topic is closed
19/02/2011 19:29:18

ziggy72Muvizu mogulExperimental user
ziggy72
I've had a similar issue with the eyelid animations sometimes disappearing if I do them before I animate the eyes, and then sometimes the eye animations disappear if I do the lids first - never worked it out, and could never repeat it. Never had the head movements disappear like that though...very odd.
20/02/2011 10:31:36

DreekoMuvizu mogulExperimental user
Dreeko
ziggy72 wrote:
Never had the head movements disappear like that though...very odd.

Yes odd and very bloody annoying!
20/02/2011 11:17:04

mystoMuvizu mogulExperimental user
mysto
Now that you mention it I've had the same issues too. When I was doing the Quo animation I had head and eye movements disappear randomly. This has not happened with the other animations I've done. I really didn't give it much thought until it was mentioned here.

Then again, the timelines on the other animations I did were no where near as complicated as the Quo animation. Maybe the more that's on the timeline the more chance something can go amiss? I don't know.

I worked so hard on that animation that I never really gave the "glitches" much thought, I just redid things and carried on. I now realize that I should have been documenting these things and posting my findings. I will be sure to do that in the future.
20/02/2011 12:03:37

Dreeko
Yes I think it probably has something to do with the complexity of a scene also. No doubt the Muvizu team have came across this already and have it on the "bugs to fix list" I just hope that it's near the top!

D
21/02/2011 07:01:12

ukBertyMuvizu mogulExperimental user
ukBerty
I thought this bug was pretty much a given.....

1. Create a blank set
2. Create a character
3. Animate the eyes "look at" for 20 secs
4. Check timeline to see what you've done.
5. Go back to the start
6. Animate the eye size for 20 secs
7. Check the timeline - the "Eyes look at" animations have gone, replaced by the eye size.

This came in with the latest build. You used to be able to animate eye size and look at independently but now have to do them at the same time which is a pain. I tend to get it about right then move things around on the timeline. It means I use eye size a lot less now.

Hope this helps.

Berty
21/02/2011 11:32:55

NeilExperimental userMuvizu staff
Neil
Dreeko wrote:
In the scenes I have been working on lately, I have been encountering some very strange behaviour. When I animate a characters head movements and I then try to animate the eyes (lids and pupils)the head movements disappear from the timeline. This is also the case for the reverse.

Hmmmm... I'm not seeing that. Are there a particular set of steps I need to follow to reproduce it?

Ziggy's issue is slightly different...

ziggy72 wrote:
I've had a similar issue with the eyelid animations sometimes disappearing if I do them before I animate the eyes, and then sometimes the eye animations disappear if I do the lids first - never worked it out, and could never repeat it.

I've been chatting with the other devs about this today and it seems the behaviour is intentional. I apologise for any technobabble while I try to explain.

Recording in Muvizu is based around a concept of recording in passes, with each pass recording just one single "track". This track could be character movement, sound effects, character talk/shush, etc. But the concept is that you record just a single track. If you re-record another pass on the same track, you overwrite anything that you recorded on that track previously.
The tricky thing here is that eye size and eye direction are part of the same track, and are recorded in the same pass. Recording on the eye size track will overwrite the pupil direction and vice versa.

We can change this behaviour in a future version if you want us to, but it'll mean recording eye width and pupil direction in separate passes. Let us know which you'd prefer.
21/02/2011 12:46:08

Dreeko
Neil wrote:

The tricky thing here is that eye size and eye direction are part of the same track.

But they are displayed on the timeline in their own respective tracks?

Neil wrote:
Recording on the eye size track will overwrite the pupil direction and vice versa.

But I have animated previously by performing three passes i.e. head, lids and pupils without overwriting occuring
Neil wrote:
We can change this behaviour in a future version if you want us to, but it'll mean recording eye width and pupil direction in separate passes. Let us know which you'd prefer.

Eh? ok ..but as I say I've already done this in the past without a hitch... what's happening here? has my version of muvizu been fitted with a flux capacitor? cos from what i'm gathering just now, I shouldn't be able to do three passes yet, but I have, trust me!

For the versions of Muvizu that dont have in built time travel, three separate passes for head, lids and pupils are as much a necessity as the separation of character actions and character movement from each other are in my opinion.

Cheers

D

PS:Click below for Staundoone episode 2!

PPS: Can we have signatures in our posts please. It would be great for plugging our Muvies!
21/02/2011 13:08:28

mysto
I knew my version of Muvizu was missing something! Where can I get a flux capacitor!
21/02/2011 13:10:51

Dreeko
Maplins
21/02/2011 13:11:21

Neil
Dreeko wrote:
But I have animated previously by performing three passes i.e. head, lids and pupils without overwriting occuring

I'll hazard a guess at what's happening here. When you hit the record button, it doesn't immediately start overwriting anything until you change something such as move the pupil, or drag the eye width slider, etc. From that point on until you press stop, it's overwriting your previous pass. Does that help explain it? Or have you *actually* broken it somehow? Again.

Something we've wanted to add for a while now is the ability to see events on the time bars while you're recording, so you can see what you're overwriting. We haven't been able to with the current UI, but it's something we can add to the new upcoming one.

Dreeko wrote:
has my version of muvizu been fitted with a flux capacitor?

We have considered making a special version just for you, Dreeko. But believe me, it's not a flux capacitor we'd add.

Dreeko wrote:
For the versions of Muvizu that dont have in built time travel, three separate passes for head, lids and pupils are as much a necessity as the separation of character actions and character movement from each other are in my opinion.

I'll take that as a vote for separating eye width and pupil direction then. If we do this (and we probably will, it seems to make sense) it'll probably make it into the release after next, with the new UI.

Dreeko wrote:
PPS: Can we have signatures in our posts please. It would be great for plugging our Muvies!

I'll forward that to the web team. I think he's in today.
21/02/2011 13:16:21

Neil
mysto wrote:
I knew my version of Muvizu was missing something! Where can I get a flux capacitor!

They're not cheap.

http://www.shopneo.co.uk/flux-capacitor-free-shipping--pr-16735.html
21/02/2011 13:20:31

mysto
Neil wrote:
mysto wrote:

They're not cheap.

http://www.shopneo.co.uk/flux-capacitor-free-shipping--pr-16735.html

Wow you're right they aren't cheap! Any chance I can bribe someone for one? LOL
edited by mysto on 21/02/2011
21/02/2011 14:05:58

mcmillan-raExperimental userMuvizu staff
mcmillan-ra
Neil wrote:

Dreeko wrote:
has my version of muvizu been fitted with a flux capacitor?

We have considered making a special version just for you, Dreeko. But believe me, it's not a flux capacitor we'd add.

Or a dragon.
21/02/2011 23:51:02

ziggy72
Dreeko wrote:
Maplins

Sorry mate, out of stock...
22/02/2011 00:01:25

ziggy72
@Neil Hang on a minute, I'm with Dreeko here - the eye size and eye look are on separate tracks on the timeline, with separate blocks to show the actions - how can one overwrite the other? I know they're on the same tab to control them, but even so, even there they are independant of each other. Confused
22/02/2011 00:59:41

Neil
ziggy72 wrote:
@Neil Hang on a minute, I'm with Dreeko here - the eye size and eye look are on separate tracks on the timeline, with separate blocks to show the actions - how can one overwrite the other? I know they're on the same tab to control them, but even so, even there they are independant of each other. Confused

They're on separate tracks, but because they're on the same "direct dialog", they're linked and can't be recorded individually. Don't shout at me, I didn't write that bit.
22/02/2011 07:54:40

ukBertyMuvizu mogulExperimental user
ukBerty
I'll vote for separate tracks and doing it independently (we all know that's how it used to work !)

For important moments you can always record eye movements and size one after the other on the timeline and then move the size markers back to where you want them, but it's not ideal.

Berty
22/02/2011 09:42:17

Neil
ukBerty wrote:
(we all know that's how it used to work !)

Honestly, it didn't.

It looks like splitting them up is the popular choice, so that's what we'll do. Thanks for the input, folks.
22/02/2011 21:12:25

ziggy72
Neil wrote:
ziggy72 wrote:

They're on separate tracks, but because they're on the same "direct dialog", they're linked and can't be recorded individually. Don't shout at me, I didn't write that bit.

Hey, I'm not shouting, merely grumbling
22/02/2011 21:47:34

Neil
ziggy72 wrote:
Hey, I'm not shouting, merely grumbling

I know, but my ears are sore after listening to all of yours and Dreeko's bug reports.
pages: 1 2 3 4 5 | the topic is closed

Home ? Feedback ? bleeding edge beta and things that made me go hmmn