Messages in this topic - RSS

Home ? Feedback ? Muvizu Play 1.2 Feedback (also Play+)

pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 | the topic is closed
08/10/2013 16:34:06

MrDrWho13Muvizu mogulExperimental user
MrDrWho13
Yeah, I'm currently running it on a laptop, which doesn't help!
edited by MrDrWho13 on 08/10/2013
08/10/2013 16:41:50

DyllyMuvizu mogulExperimental user
Dylly
OK iiiiiiiiiiits daft question time! Can any of the dev team point me int' right direction for correct FBX settings (from either 3dsMax or Maya) when saving out a model ready for import into Muvizu? Seems to be working OK so far although I'm having probs with the odd artefact if FBX saved with no smoothing and a shed load of weirdness if I save and import a smoothed model.
08/10/2013 18:46:54

urbanlamb
urbanlamb
(Account inactive)
I would still like to see the avi 2.0, wmv and an mpeg I know the first two are like not hard to do. I already have a semi compressed "lossless" codec but i like paid for that one so it wont be helping anyone around here I just like 'options' .

I can't wait to get on with my next video now i am curious as to how a scene I have been agonizing over is going to work in this new improved version of muvizu and the fact that FINALLY superman and his boss can hold the telephone and move is just well *happy dance*.

tears mesh inanimate dudes out of my airplanes and replaces them with real muvizuzu dudes!
edited by urbanlamb on 08/10/2013
09/10/2013 09:35:40

ukBertyMuvizu mogulExperimental user
ukBerty
I've had a play this morning and can report the following.....

The good...

• I have saved and opened a set which suffered from the "not licensed for this feature" error and it worked fine. Looks like that's fixed.
  • I have rendered out in 1080 which worked fine. I now understand what everyone is on about - these files are large. I suspect I will have to revert to my old workflow. TGA files just won't work for me I don't think unless we have separate directories, and even then I'm not sure.
  • I have imported FBX files successfully using the default export settings from Autodesk
  • I have successfully imported and used hand attachments. Like the idea of having different shaped hands - only just noticed this.

The bad....

• I too have the "colours don't save on attached objects" like Ziggy - we could do with a patch for this ASAP please.
  • Not all FBX imports work - in fact most don't. I'm trying to work out the rules. I can always import the FBX into Autodesk and export again, but I may as well export as an ASE as they nearly always work. I have had multiple crashes of Muvizu when importing new FBX files, so save early !
  • I think the import for attached objects defaults to single sided. A lot of objects that import fine the normal way but end up with bits missing when imported to the body. Could we have the same import options as the normal import please

The undecided.....

• I'm not sure how I will use the FBX importer. If I have to put everything through Autodesk then I may as well use ASE format. When you import FBX files they come in with standard collision and that's no good to me. I suspect I could work out how to get rid of collision with an FBX but after I have developed that little batch file to add ZiggyMesh to all .ASE files my workflow is pretty slick now.
  • "Object has more than 65335 faces" message (or whatever it is). Could we have a cancel import on that dialog please. You're pretty much always heading for trouble when that appears, but you have to wait for the whole thing to import or Muvizu to crash before you can move on. Most of the time I want to give up and redesign that object anyway so a cancel would save time.

It's all good really.....
09/10/2013 09:57:25

DreekoMuvizu mogulExperimental user
Dreeko
Yeah,the FBX import feature seems to be a bit of a 'pig in a poke' ( http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=pig%20in%20a%20poke )

I am unable to successfully import anything decent in FBX. Some guidance in the form of a help file or tutorial to allow us to use it properly is essential. Stabbing around in the dark for the correct settings using various softwares is a time wasting pain in the arse to be honest!

So, Muvizu HQ...How should we do this? How do you do this? and where are the examples showing so?

D
09/10/2013 10:45:10

JamieMuvizu staff
Jamie
(Account inactive)
Dylly wrote:
OK iiiiiiiiiiits daft question time! Can any of the dev team point me int' right direction for correct FBX settings (from either 3dsMax or Maya) when saving out a model ready for import into Muvizu? Seems to be working OK so far although I'm having probs with the odd artefact if FBX saved with no smoothing and a shed load of weirdness if I save and import a smoothed model.

I'm not familiar with maya or 3D max but I had a similar problem in blender, turned out my normals were double sided and once I turned that option off everything worked fine. I passed your message onto someone who knows Maya as well.

--
Direct, don't animate!
09/10/2013 10:55:36

JamieMuvizu staff
Jamie
(Account inactive)
Dreeko wrote:
Yeah,the FBX import feature seems to be a bit of a 'pig in a poke' ( http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=pig%20in%20a%20poke )

I am unable to successfully import anything decent in FBX. Some guidance in the form of a help file or tutorial to allow us to use it properly is essential. Stabbing around in the dark for the correct settings using various softwares is a time wasting pain in the arse to be honest!

So, Muvizu HQ...How should we do this? How do you do this? and where are the examples showing so?

D

Hi Dreeko,
I've put some information on the wiki here http://www.muvizu.com/Wiki/wiki/86/fbx-collision-and-geometry-guide and here http://www.muvizu.com/Wiki/wiki/85/fbx-material-guidelines and we'll look into doing more tutorials to help with FBX. However, most of what can be told about FBX is specific to the modelling package you are using. The process to use Blender to generate FBX is totally different to the process you would use in Maya.

What are you using to make your models?

The main reason an FBX fails is that there are to many vertices (the 65535 vertices limit of unreal, but in reality to get your model you work smoothly you need to be a bit lower than that) and / or you have weird holes or gaps in a model.

If you send your FBX files in we'll take a look and see if we can help with them.

--
Direct, don't animate!
09/10/2013 11:07:32

Lev_Dynamite
Lev_Dynamite
ukBerty wrote:
The bad....

• I too have the "colours don't save on attached objects" like Ziggy - we could do with a patch for this ASAP please.
  • Not all FBX imports work - in fact most don't. I'm trying to work out the rules. I can always import the FBX into Autodesk and export again, but I may as well export as an ASE as they nearly always work. I have had multiple crashes of Muvizu when importing new FBX files, so save early !
  • I think the import for attached objects defaults to single sided. A lot of objects that import fine the normal way but end up with bits missing when imported to the body. Could we have the same import options as the normal import please
Would you be able to send over all relevant SET files, sample FBX files and anything else you think we'd need to reproduce this error ourselves here at Muvizu Manor to bugs@muvizu.com? Apologies if you've already done so, but I had a quick rake around the Inbox and couldn't see anything. Same goes for anyone who experiences any other issues which the perceive to be a possible bug - send us the details and files so we can try it too! No matter how detailed a description you give of a problem, nothing makes the lightbulb switch on over our heads like seeing it happen ourselves.
09/10/2013 12:26:00

fazz68
fazz68
(Account inactive)
well ive had a play around for the last couple of days with the new version, heres my two p's worth.
so far i like it alot. sets load faster for me, it might be my imagination but im sure its rendering faster for me. loving the hand held objects appart from two things... loosing textures on an imported hand object if ive changed a texture on that object (which is exactly the same thing that is still happening on using favourited objects that have had a texture change and saved
http://www.muvizu.com/forum/topic2923-losing-textures-on-favorited-objects.aspx ) the second thing is the lack of collapsible menus on the imported attachment main menu, it has the lovely scroll bar but if i have alot of textures on an object it shoots off the top of the screen and i cant get to the top of the menu to move it down. they are my only gripes so far. i havnt tried fbx objects because i dont really know anything about them as of yet. but all in all im loving it so far. i have gone back and remade the evil dead scenes already done using hand objects when needed and the difference it makes is to me is incredible.
cheers muvizu dudes
edited by fazz68 on 09/10/2013
09/10/2013 13:01:37

Dreeko
Jamie!

Thanks for the swift reply!

As the google warehouse and Sketchup has been the favoured choice of muvizu-ers for long and weary for object creation and reference I was looking to finding a way to convert Sketchup models to FBX

The main reason I was looking to this format over ase import was in the hope that objects would appear within muvizu without the weird shadowing effect that occurs. I know Fazz has shown a technique where the addition of an outline to objects built within Sketchup remedies this, but I was hoping that FBX would solve the anomaly without the faffing around.

I don't have Maya or 3dmax to play around with and I haven't touched blender before. To be honest I've made only a handful of objects within Sketchup. Object creation is something that I intend learn more of and I do know that FBX offers more than just objects, but for now I would just like to be able to import objects into Muvizu and have then displayed properly under the lights. If you can come up with a solution to this whether it is ase or FBX I'll be a happy camper!

Cheers
D
09/10/2013 13:36:36

ukBerty
Workaround for attached objects turning white on save and open:-

When attaching an object to a character simply import the object normally - i.e. create > import. Just stick it somewhere out the way.
Then import the same object attached to your character and it will save and open OK.

It's a bit like that old textured skirt problem.
09/10/2013 13:42:06

fazz68
fazz68
(Account inactive)
Dreeko wrote:
Jamie!

As the google warehouse and Sketchup has been the favoured choice of muvizu-ers for long and weary for object creation and reference I was looking to finding a way to convert Sketchup models to FBX

The main reason I was looking to this format over ase import was in the hope that objects would appear within muvizu without the weird shadowing effect that occurs. I know Fazz has shown a technique where the addition of an outline to objects built within Sketchup remedies this, but I was hoping that FBX would solve the anomaly without the faffing around.

I don't have Maya or 3dmax to play around with and I haven't touched blender before. To be honest I've made only a handful of objects within Sketchup. Object creation is something that I intend learn more of and I do know that FBX offers more than just objects, but for now I would just like to be able to import objects into Muvizu and have then displayed properly under the lights. If you can come up with a solution to this whether it is ase or FBX I'll be a happy camper!

Cheers
D

Dreeko ive just had a little experiment with the sketchup to FBX thing. you can export a sketchup model as a COLLADA file and import it into Blender. and export from blender as a FBX file. i just tried on a simple chair model and it works but if you can understand all this texture info then you are a better man than me lol... see pic

urbanlamb is the expert on blender and may know what it all means Big Grin
09/10/2013 13:55:19

JamieMuvizu staff
Jamie
(Account inactive)
Dreeko wrote:
Jamie!

Cheers
D

That's no magic fix for this I'm afraid. Putting edge loops in and outlines as Fazz explained is part of the process to get your objects working nicely. The effect your seeing with the lighting and shading on the object comes from Sketchups limited options to set things such as normals and smoothing on the in the way that you would have proper control over how they show up in Muvizu.

The real benefit to using FBX is the additional material options you can use (http://www.muvizu.com/Wiki/wiki/85/fbx-material-guidelines). Ultimately wither you use ASE or FBX the model can only be rendered as good as you've made it to be and sketchup, while its a good tool, creates additional problems due to the way it hides vertices and automatically processes your object which all needs to be converted to a standard vertex defined model on export to ASE or FBX.

Sorry but there is no substitute for hard work and experience when it comes to making objects of the quality your wanting.

It can be done though, from Sketchup and from Blender / Maya / etc

--
Direct, don't animate!
09/10/2013 13:57:48

JamieMuvizu staff
Jamie
(Account inactive)
fazz68 wrote:
Dreeko ive just had a little experiment with the sketchup to FBX thing. you can export a sketchup model as a COLLADA file and import it into Blender. and export from blender as a FBX file. i just tried on a simple chair model and it works but if you can understand all this texture info then you are a better man than me lol... see pic
urbanlamb is the expert on blender and may know what it all means Big Grin

What your seeing Fazz is another quirk of Sketchup. It applies everything as a separate material to the object. If you have slightly different shades of red it'll give you a material for each shade of red on the object.

In blender, if you go to the materials tab you'll see a list of materials that match all the names you see listed in Muvizu. You probably want to delete them all and re-apply just 1 or 2 new materials to the unique coloured areas of your model.

--
Direct, don't animate!
09/10/2013 14:08:21

JamieMuvizu staff
Jamie
(Account inactive)
ukBerty wrote:
Workaround for attached objects turning white on save and open:-

When attaching an object to a character simply import the object normally - i.e. create > import. Just stick it somewhere out the way.
Then import the same object attached to your character and it will save and open OK.

It's a bit like that old textured skirt problem.

Its an odd one, I've tried several ASE and FBX objects and its not happening for me.

Is it an old set you've loaded and then imported the object to or does it happen with a completely blank new scene with a new character? Is it happening with ASE or FBX or both?

Could you send in the set file and object files and give us a list of steps to follow to reproduce this?

--
Direct, don't animate!
09/10/2013 14:35:36

Dreeko
Thanks jamie and fazz!
Another hill to climb it seems then!
I've delayed the whole object building aspect of production as long as I could. Looks like the time has come!
edited by Dreeko on 09/10/2013
09/10/2013 14:56:43

ukBerty
Jamie,

I have sent the set and ase files in. This is a brand new set and I can replicate the problem at will.
09/10/2013 15:11:44

ziggy72Muvizu mogulExperimental user
ziggy72
Jamie, I have also sent you my set file with the same problem. Whatever texture I put on there, the box on Darth's chest goes default on reloading the set.
09/10/2013 16:17:54

JamieMuvizu staff
Jamie
(Account inactive)
thanks ukBerty and Ziggy. I'll have a look through those files and see where the problem is.

--
Direct, don't animate!
09/10/2013 17:17:00

ziggy72Muvizu mogulExperimental user
ziggy72
The Timeline blocks for animating Expressive-ness and Custom Texture aren't showing up after you record inputs. They still work fine, and you can see the line in the Timeline, but no blocks.
pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 | the topic is closed

Home ? Feedback ? Muvizu Play 1.2 Feedback (also Play+)